What am I doing wrong?

Options
HI all! I have been trying to lose weight for over a year now. I'm 5'0" and I was probably ~125lbs at my highest weight. Lately I have been stuck at about 120lbs and I am so desperate to lose weight. I have been working out and trying to eat healthy for the past year and I still feel fat. I know 5'0" and 120 doesn't seem that bad but I have a gut and it is so embarrassing, and I used to be skinny and be able to eat whatever I want, and now I can't wear any tight clothes because of my stomach. I'm also a picky eater which makes eating healthy difficult, but I am trying to branch out. My food diary is open and all the exercise is from Jillian Micheal DVDs or treadmill.

I need a reality check on what I am doing wrong, but please be nice b/c I've been very upset about my weight lately and I just need some guidance. Thx!!

Replies

• Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't get it, trying to eat healthy and being picky? Explore the world of healthy eating more, there are tons of websites with all kinds of recipes low fat. low cal, etc. What do you not like in healthy eating, veggies, lean proteins, fruit, water, tea etc.? I am sure it is a very small issue easy to resolve, can't wait to read other comments:)
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    Key Word: FEEL. Believe you are beautiful because you are and you certainly are in God's eyes. He made you exactly how He wanted you. As for the eating...if you are picky then look up some delicious yet healthy recipes online that you can start making. Salads with nuts and chicken and things like that are healthy and tasty
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary - there is nothing but pasta, rice, processed cheese and carbs on it....Picky is one thing, but you are depriving your body of nutrition....No vegetables, no fruit, and very little lean meat?

YOU have to decide how important this is to you....Good luck...
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you burning exercising? It is my understanding 1500 calories is the lifestyle of a 5'0, 23 year old sedentary woman. If you are exercising any, then I believe you might be under eating for your weight lost goal.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Wasn't able to see your diary but are you meeting your calories goals everyday while keeping sugars and fat in check? One thing you might want to try is really focus on what you are eating each day and if things aren't working, tweak it a little bit and see how it changes. For me, if I don't drink my water then I don't do as well. I also know that I struggle with my sugar intake (sweet tooth problems). Also instead of looking only at weight, have you check out your measurements? Those can be just as big of an indicator because as you work out you could be gaining muscle mass. One more thing (I promise) have you tried concentrating as what you see as your "trouble area"? Maybe check out workouts specific to abs since that seems to be what you are unhappy about. Hope it helps!
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Wasn't able to see your diary but are you meeting your calories goals everyday while keeping sugars and fat in check? One thing you might want to try is really focus on what you are eating each day and if things aren't working, tweak it a little bit and see how it changes. For me, if I don't drink my water then I don't do as well. I also know that I struggle with my sugar intake (sweet tooth problems). Also instead of looking only at weight, have you check out your measurements? Those can be just as big of an indicator because as you work out you could be gaining muscle mass. One more thing (I promise) have you tried concentrating as what you see as your "trouble area"? Maybe check out workouts specific to abs since that seems to be what you are unhappy about. Hope it helps!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You could try changing up what you eat. There was not one fruit or vegetable in the last week, thats not good for your body. When you only have a little bit of weight to lose, what you eat can be as important as how much you eat. I know you said you are picky, but is there not one fruit or veggie that you'll eat?
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and girl...you are eating crap! Bagels, peanut butter, pizza, pasta, pretzels?? You may be staying within your calorie goal however you are what you eat. You need to make better food choices and I promise you'll see the scale move:)
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I dont normally pick on peoples diaries coz mine aint perfect.

But you dont have much variety, you seem to be eating almost the same thing every day, pizza,burgers, taco's cheese strings and lots of bread-stuffs. even a junk food junky like me can see you need to go over to a lot more fresh wholesome food. toss the junk, eat more veg and drink lots of water. a bigger belly is a sure fire sign you are eating too many carbs.
    I hated veg and even more fruit. I'd just eat frozen peas and a couple satsuma's christmas time. those here on this site showed me the error of my ways and even though i still havent made any great loss in poundage, i feel a lot better in myself and my food "vocabulary" as it were is now huge and I dont get bored with eating the same limited menu every other day.

At 120Lbs and 5' tall I personally dont think you should be trying to lose much in the way of weight anyway (not being mean just my opinion)

If you just want to shift the shape of your belly you need to do the right kind of exercises (im no expert in this but there are some on this site more qualified for this kind of advise)

I hope this is of some help but im fairly new to this too. really its and attitude change to the way you perceive food and exercise. There are loads of people on here that have been at this a long time and know there stuff. its really worth listening to them even if you dont like what you hear they are often more right than wrong.

Good luck
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Part of it is that you don't seem to have much variety and plenty of it is unhealthy (as others noted). Also, you look like you are eating big meals without snacking in between. Myth or not, I've been told that you need to eat smaller meals over the course of the day to keep your metabolism charged up and eat some snacks along the way. I actually broke my diet down where I have three snack breaks during the day.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and girl...you are eating crap! Bagels, peanut butter, pizza, pasta, pretzels?? You may be staying within your calorie goal however you are what you eat. You need to make better food choices and I promise you'll see the scale move:)

This^^^

Ditch the processed wheat based foods all together.

Get yourself a copy of the book The Wheat Belly. It might be the solution to your problem!!!
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Add sodium to you diary chart. Your eating habits are not that good.
  • Senrabk
    Senrabk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the posters above, there is no nutritional value to anything you are eating. I would also add that skipping meals is a terrible idea. You should spread your calories out through the day as your body needs fuel to function. I would also add more veggies and fruit, there has to be at least a couple you like. Try spreading your calories out between breakfast lunch dinner and two snacks ( my snacks are mid morning and mid afternoon). The snacks have a smaller amount of calories but it is enough to not be starving between meals.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    While I do not believe that drastically cutting carbs is that beneficial to MOST peoples weight loss, eating a diet high in carbs and sodium can cause bloating and water retention, which can appear to look like a gut on someone who is already a healthy weight.

I would suggest a full body strength training routine and eating about 75-100 carbs a day. That should get you the results you want.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary I would suggest

1) adding fresh veggies, fruits.

2) tracking sodium and potassium. For every 1 mg of sodium eat 3 mg of potassium.

3) cut out the junk (pizza, pasta, (go for a thin sliced bagel instead of a full bagel 110 calories vs 300), burgers and eat cleaner

Your food choices are very dense calorie, I would be starving on so little food for so many calories.
  • KyleWitt87
    KyleWitt87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, you havent been eating enough greens/ fruits. You should cut back on the unhealthy carbs like pasta, granola bars(pretty much a cookie) and anything with processed sugar. Dont cut carbs out completely though, because you will need them for energy, especially if you expect to perform your best at the gym. Just make sure those carbs are whole grain and high fiber (they "burn" slower and are less likely to be converted to sugar which will lead to fat stores). As for fruits, the only ones i eat are blueberries because Im allergic to most others. Remember that fruit is high in sugar and if you eat too much and dont burn it off, it will be stored as fat. Hope thats helps and good luck.
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    At 5 nothin, and a 120 nothin, I would say you are okay. Yes, maybe you should eat better, lay off the spaghetti and sandwiches for a bit. Believe me, I know how hard that is. I was scarfin down alfredo out of a jar, 27% gb, and spaghetti noodles for about a month straight. Maybe what you need to do is focus your workout to just your abs and your midsection. Lay off the alcohol if you are having some. Those are empty calories that go nowhere else BUT your gut, and it is very easy to have upwards of 1500 to 2000 calories in a party night. Focus on the proteins, and send your abs to bootcamp, and you should do just fine! 120 is great. Do not make yourself brittle.

Oh, and, GO COWBOYS!
  • Gingerijggs
    Gingerijggs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are eating pasta, bagels, pretzels etc. staying in calories but still ave abdominal bloat, you may want to consider trying a gluten free diet....the above items are full of gluten and if you are intolerant it may cause bloating......it's worth a try. Good luck!
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience that all the working out in the world won't help you. Abs are 90% diet - picky eater or not. So it's up to you. If you want flat abs, revise your diet. I started clean eating years ago but it wasn't until I went 100% clean that I finally had a flat stomach. But that's what it takes....if your pizza and bagels are important to you, then buy some Spanx.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Your diet is pretty much the same every day, aside from at dinner. Try to add veggies and fruits and cut out the processed foods. Branch out. You might not like certain foods right now, but find something you want to like, and eat it. Just eat it. After a month, I guarantee you that it wont be as bad as you thought it was going to be. And if it is? Try something new. Focus on hitting your protein goal. I don't think carbs are the devil and I'm not going to suggest cutting them out, but try not to go over, and make sure you hit your protein goal. That's important.

You might also be under-eating, believe it or not. Your body's gotten used to eating so little and so any time you eat a little more, it wants to hold on to it instead of losing. Calculate your TDEE using an online calculator, then eat that many calories. You might go up in weight at first. It might take a month or two until it levels off. But once it does, subtract 500 from that and you will start losing more. At the same time, try focusing more on strength training over cardio. Build some muscle, it should help get rid of your belly. But really — eat more. I know you're 5'0", but that's still too low for someone who is so close to their goal weight. Once you get there and go off your diet your weight will go up again because you're chronically underfeeding it.