Do the calories in Bacon include the left-over grease?

Options
2»

Replies

• NessaTesla
    NessaTesla Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is that when I'm eating just plain bacon I just log bacon, not minding the drippings or whatever. But when I cook it with other things, such as broccoli, or especially when I use my saved bacon fat to lubricate the pan for something else (like eggs or vegetables) I go ahead and add in a teaspoon of bacon fat to my log. Just in case.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't believe bacon should be in anyone's diet if trying to lose weight. OMIT it completely and mission accomplished:)
    Maybe it has no place in YOUR diet, but there's nothing wrong with it. Your diet can't handle 30-40 calories?

Agreed.

Bacon is a good protein pack. yes it tends to be salty but a body NEEDS salt/sodium. It cannot function properly without it.

As long as you take that info into account when doing your calculations there is no possible reason why bacon should be eliminated completely from you diet as it has so many culinary uses in meal planning and there isnt a time of day where it cant be eaten. as you probably all know.....

EVERYTHING is better with BACON!!! :happy:
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't believe bacon should be in anyone's diet if trying to lose weight. OMIT it completely and mission accomplished:)
    Maybe it has no place in YOUR diet, but there's nothing wrong with it. Your diet can't handle 30-40 calories?

AND YET YOU"RE ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE OF 10 CALORIES?!?!?!?!?! Hypocrite.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

And why on Earth would you do this? Bacon is awesome and I have lost 48 pounds consuming it 3-4 times a week.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Life without bacon is not worth living. LOL

Funny, that's EXACTLY what the pig said!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

Are you stark, raving, MAD?!?!?! smiley-shocked003.gif
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    70 calories in 3 slices on bacon. 41 of those calories are FAT...SATURATED FAT. No, my diet can not and will not handle that. I guess we all have to pick our battles. That's what makes the world go 'round. Good luck:)
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    If you do a green bean food search there is a calorie count for green beans with 1T bacon drippings. It's not that bad, in moderation.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    70 calories in 3 slices on bacon. 41 of those calories are FAT...SATURATED FAT. No, my diet can not and will not handle that. I guess we all have to pick our battles. That's what makes the world go 'round. Good luck:)

Coconut Oil is mostly saturated fat, it is good for you. No debates, it is.

Saturated fat will not 'clog your arteries' or make you fat. This has never been proven and the fear of fat consumption (and consequently too much carbohyrdate) generally is what is driving us to be sicker.

Read the science, not the magazine articles.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or hostile, I just want you to know.

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/20-diet-myths-busted/

(edit) And in any case, bacon is not all saturated fat, not that it makes any difference to the main point.

Nature is not out to kill us.
  • Cinnamon0603
    Cinnamon0603 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all that replied. I got the answers that I needed. Based onthe bacon that I have it does not include the drippings. :)

And I agree with everyone who said that a life without banon is not worh living.......lol

I thinkg I'll try the turkey bacon next time!! :)

And............my green beans were awesome even with the extra calories from the drippings. lol
  • madeleinedacey15
    madeleinedacey15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it must be the case that some do and some don't because some of the bacon nutrition labels I read say 100 calories/slice and others give half that.

What you can do is take into account the fact that 1 gram of pure fat contains 9 calories.

If you assume bacon is pure fat (which is conservative, because it contains protein and water as well at 4 and 0 calories per gram respectively), then it will not have more than 9 calories per gram.

So if you have a 5 gram slice of bacon, it likely contains ~45 calories.