How much strength training

Options
Greetings,
I seem to post a lot but anywho. I feel I am doing more cardio for my workouts. I do Jillian Michael's Shred dvd. I do 1 phase a day and after I complete phase 1 I will try to do both phase 1 and 2 daily, but that's a few days out. So currently when I'm done with the DVD I get on the treadmill for another 40-60 minutes. Is there enough strength workout in her DVD? I was looking at getting another of hers but its also full on cardio. I'm looking to lose weight (well derrrr most of us are) but to tone while I do it so I don't have flabby skin.

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that from what trainers have told me...strength training is CRUICIAL in fat burn. Cardio is great to maintain and strength training is great for burn.

The way they put it is that muscle requires fuel, and they attack your fat stores for that fuel even when you are done working out.

A great regiment is to work several close muscle groups 1 day, then rest that group for 2 days and repeat. Obviously those 2 days of rest aren't truly rest..because you should be targeting other muscle groups. Everyday you should be doing 10-15 minutes of cardio followed by heavy strength training or resistance training. You will notice your body change within 2 months.

*disclaimer* guys and girls are different and this is coming from a guy who learned from a guy trainer....you may want to consult a female trainer to see if the same holds true for females.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I workout with weights 4 times a week. Cardio is tagged on for about 10-15 minutes afterward. When my sole focus was cardio, I wasn't nearly as toned as I am now. Lifting TOTALLY changed my body...for the better.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JM are cardio dvd's, they aren't weight training. Now look at P90X or Chalean Extreme and they are weight training DVD's
  • mrsjarvis11
    mrsjarvis11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go spend $120.00+ on DVD's and give up. I've dieted plenty in the past and I want to make sure I'm in it and don't quit it. I think if I work out long enough I will invest in one of the big packs of DVD's but I want/have to reach my smaller goals first.

Is there some single DVD's out there that do offer strength? I feel I need to begin somewhere just maybe more than what I am currently doing.

Thanks for the replies/advice!
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Try a proven beginner program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go spend $120.00+ on DVD's and give up. I've dieted plenty in the past and I want to make sure I'm in it and don't quit it. I think if I work out long enough I will invest in one of the big packs of DVD's but I want/have to reach my smaller goals first.

Is there some single DVD's out there that do offer strength? I feel I need to begin somewhere just maybe more than what I am currently doing.

Thanks for the replies/advice!

I've never seen any DVDs that focus on strength training. They're all books, basically. Starting Strength, NROL, Wendler's 3/2/1, Stronglifts 5x5, etc.. It's more of a written plan than a DVD that you can follow along with. DVDs are basically for your typical cardio or light circuit training routines (like JM and such).
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I joined the local sports centre gym for access to their weights. I do 15-20min on the treadmill then work either upper body, core or lower body for up to an hour (depending if I stick to the weights room or do bodyweight moves on a mat also) then another 10-15min on the treadmill, stretch and go home.
    I go 5 or 6 times a week usually.
  • bheria
    bheria Posts: 1
    Options
    If you can find a local gym that offers group classes like Zumba or Total Body Strength etc you will have that trainer there to ensure you are doing the exercises correctly and instructin you on what to do while have an additional support system with the other people in class. Usually when you attend those classes often there are also other regulars you become frineds with and push eachother to make it through the class. Its cheaper than one on one personal training but youre still getting the training if you dont know what to do on your own when you go in the weight room. However, dont get discouraged because once you begin the strenght training you could very well gain on the scale (muscle Mass) I was told dont go by the scale go by how you look when youre incorporating wieghts. Its hard ot not go by the scale.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Try a proven beginner program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5

This^^^ Stronglifts is free and the Kindle version of Starting Strength is about $8. Also, you can get most of the workout info off the Starting Strength website for free. The workouts you are doing aren't strength training as others have pointed out. The are mostly cardio with a mucsle conditioning element.
  • mrsjarvis11
    mrsjarvis11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can also go to www.bodyrock.tv or youtube strength training programs.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You might try Gilad's Total Body workouts. I will warn that he does a lot of high rep moves but they're easy enough to catch onto. You can up the weights if you need to and he also does alot of bodyweight moves.

ETA: http://www.bodiesinmotionwithgilad.com/