Going Camping! Need clean eating ideas!! Help!?

Options
HI everyone!! I am (as many of you may be) going camping next weekend for the long weekend and have only a handful of ideas on how to eat clean while away from home. I will take staples like natural peanut butter, apples, oatmeal, but what else can I take? I will have a fridge, but limited space of course. Turkey meatballs? Throw me some suggestions! THANKS!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggies and chicken over a campfire? Delicious. Grilling and stir frying are mostly what I do at home. I can easily do that camping.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    Not sure about your definition of clean eating since you threw in turkey meatballs to the mix. However, I always bring raisins.
    Also if you are sick of sandwiches et al, you can bring whole wheat tortillas and make a wrap ...with veggies and whatever filling you consider healthy (throw in your meatballs).
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Salmon or any kind of fish is always a great idea. Salmon burgers, turkey burgers, turkey dogs, tukey bacon.... fish cakes, lean beef (avoiding the pink slim of course)..... dont forget the whole wheat pancake batter for breakfast though! It's not camping without hotcakes!
  • Camason04
    Camason04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    great ideas everyone!! keep em coming!!
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Take some bell peppers, mushrooms, squash, onion and zucchini; wrap it in foil, use some spray butter (or not) and grill it/put on coals. That and a chicken breast and you're golden.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    You have a fridge you say? How about some whole wheat pasta salad? There's always cured meats that need no refrigeration: (be careful of the sodium content) salami, pepperoni, ...beef jerky. I don't consider those junk food at all. Potato chip = junkfood. Beef jerky..well I guess that is up for debate, but I know for a fact that many athletes eat it.....and they have much lower body fat than myself. The salt content is why I don't eat it often. However, I do take it along while fishing, etc.
  • MyNabbrs
    MyNabbrs Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bring tuna in the tear open packs. I eat it straight from pack with plastic spoon. No clean up needed!
  • ckane22312
    ckane22312 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chicken & veggie kabobs. You can assemble at home and throw them on the BBQ for an easy lunch or dinner. Have fun!
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks

Popcorn on a stick (from my Cub Scout leader days....): Use about six inch length of foil, lay a stick thru the length of it. Pour a single row of popcorn kernels and whatever kind of oil you want. Close the foil loosely, so that it hangs on the stick. Hold over the fire!

Google "foil dinners" where you wrap a bunch of stuff in a foil packet....as big or as small as you want...and lay it on the coals. You can even pre-wrap it all beforehand...except for meat.