Pepsi Addiction

Options
I need some help on overcoming my Pepsi addiction. I can drink upwards to about 5-6 Pepsi cans a day, and if I don't, I get intense cravings, where I'm really cranky and sluggish if I don't get enough. I really want to kick the habit completely, but it's really difficult when I've had this habit for many years.

Anyone have any tips on how they overcame a soda addiction? It's pretty much my major roadblock to weight loss because I'm good with eating healthy and exercising, but the Pepsi is just out of control.

Replies

• Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I just had to do it cold turkey. I was drinking about a 2 liter a day...yes those big bottles...anyway, I just decided it wasn't worth it anymore and soda was really helping me stay fat....try substituting with teas until you adjust....you will have a headache and feel like crap for the first week....it will end! stay strong...you can do it!!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I was a huge Dr. Pepper freak! I just weaned myself down..... man it took weeks!! I now have one every great once in a while! You can do it!! Who would have thought that something so "normal" could make us so sick and addicted huh!!
  • khall9228
    khall9228 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi, ur problem isn't that u drink 5-6 cans of Pepsi a day, ur problem is that u drink Pepsi and not Coca-Cola. Pepsi is disgusting. Anyway, switch to Pepsi one or whatever zero calorie version they have of Pepsi and slowly ween urself off of it. No shame in having something like that every now and then, but if u are going to have it, make sure its a zero calorie Pepsi. Or better yet, Coke Zero =p

I'm guilty as well when it comes to soda, I grab a large Coke Zero all the time at 7 11
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    pepsi max.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    just stop... convince your mind that it is all chemicals you are drinking not a natural drink like water, try to go a day or two or more without it and you will notice how awful it tastes. I only drink pop if I am at a party or there is absolutely nothing else to drink, and I don't party often and when I do it's usually rum and coke or gin and tonic, etc. I just don't like the taste of it and I heard horror stories of "you can use coca cola as your toilet bowl cleaner, it works" have not tried it so am not sure if it's true.
    Challenge yourself and try to go without it a day, two, three, etc. It's all in your mind, nothing else.
  • trey4cubs
    trey4cubs Posts: 20
    Options
    sounds like the sugar is driving insulin spikes and subsequent crashes. you need a 2-3 day cleanse with no sugared drinks. You are also probably dealing with a caffeine addiction. This is going to be somewhat controversial but i would recommend even drinking diet soda instead of the full flavored soda. I know there is some dispute over the affect of artificial sweeteners in the body but for the sake of weight loss, I would recommend (at the minimum) switching to diet.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Hi, ur problem isn't that u drink 5-6 cans of Pepsi a day, ur problem is that u drink Pepsi and not Coca-Cola.

because no one can like something other than coke?
  • jdhalberg72
    Options
    Good luck! I know it's hard and your will probably be miserable for a day or two, but you can do it!
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I used to drink 2ea. 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi a day, for maybe 15 years.
    I was raised in Alaska, and we had really great tasting water there, but I lived in Florida where the water sucks so I started drinking
    diet soda's and gained a lot of weight.

I got off of soda's by drinking limeade.= 1/2 a lime, squeezed into 16 ounces of water, or sparkling water.
    I use Now brand powdered stevia to sweeten. 5 calories per 16 ounce serving.

Best drink ever (in my opinion) add about 5 ripe cherries diced up into the above limeade... 45 calories total

Good luck...
  • TurtleCrush
    Options
    I need some help on overcoming my Pepsi addiction. I can drink upwards to about 5-6 Pepsi cans a day, and if I don't, I get intense cravings, where I'm really cranky and sluggish if I don't get enough. I really want to kick the habit completely, but it's really difficult when I've had this habit for many years.

Anyone have any tips on how they overcame a soda addiction? It's pretty much my major roadblock to weight loss because I'm good with eating healthy and exercising, but the Pepsi is just out of control.

I would try the Dr. Oz way by weaning yourself off slowly to substitute 1 can for same oz in Orange juice.
    Example: week 1: substitute 12 oz. Of soda for Orange juice. Each week try to cut out a little more until you cut it out completely.
    Once you substitute out all soda repeat the process to substitute out the orange juice for water.
  • melmoran
    melmoran Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pepsi......mmmm I love Pepsi I just recently gave it up about 2 months ago. I started from regular pepsi to pepsi max (which I ended up liking better than regular pepsi). I still drunk that for a couple years. Then I started cutting down the amount that I was drinking a day and getting in more water. I was giving myself water challenges to get me to concentrating more on water and less on Pepsi. Now I did have headaches, moodswings the whole nine yards thought I was going to have to sign up for some addiction anonymous class!! lol!!! Keep you some tylenol or asprin on hand for your headaches it took me about a week to get past that once I gave it up for good but you can do it. I also felt super tired and after about 2 weeks and upping my exercise I felt great. It's hard but it's doable Oh and now I only drink water but I started buying flavored sparkling water and that gives me that "burn" that Pepsi gave me when I feel the need for a soda.
  • dw97459
    dw97459 Posts: 7
    Options
    I drank 3 to 4 cans a day myself and when I decided to get healthy I quit cold turkey. I had to go cold turkey. I tried weening myself but just a little sip made me want more. The caffeine withdrawls were horrible, but they went away after a few days. Now if I have caffeine it makes me feel horrible. I get jittery and have hot flashes. Makes me realize how much the caffeine and sugar were effecting me physically. The weight dropped off like crazy too. Now I drink A & W Diet Root Beer if I want soda. It's the only one I have found that doesn't really taste like diet soda.
  • krs8879
    krs8879 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way about soda... i know that if i have even one then I'll continue all day and then the rest of the week and so on. It even makes me want other sugar like candy and junk food. So I avoid it all together!
    so you have to choose to not have any, dont even keep it in the house.. or if you are strong enough, just have one on occasion? maybe as a treat. Good Luck!!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I only drank 1 can of coke per day. I cut back to 1 can every other day for about 2 weeks, then cut back to 1 can twice per week for a few weeks, then cut back to 1 can per week and then none at all. I've been pop free for almost 3 months.
  • khall9228
    khall9228 Posts: 19
    Options
    because no one can like something other than coke?
    [/quote]

Exactly ;-)
  • tship74
    tship74 Posts: 48
    Options
    Pour a Pepsi in a Glass, Drop a Penny in it let it sit a week....
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I drank 10 + pepsi 20 oz bottles for about 20 years... please, you aint got shiz on me...

STOP. just as i stopped smoking, as i stopped eating. STOP. If you want to lose weight bad enough.. STOP..

If you dont want it bad enough, you wont.

How strong are you?
  • msartishia
    msartishia Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would say try the pepsi max....I use to be in that boat...and I had my withdrawal symptoms....go slow because I know what it is like to get sick. Pepsi max isnt bad....I drink either diet pepsi or pepsi max when I want a soda.
  • teamtommo6
    teamtommo6 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I might switch to Pepsi Max and gradually reduce from there... I hate the taste of Diet Pepsi... is Pepsi Max more similar tasting to regular Pepsi?
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, except I'm a coke addict (gah, that sounds terrible doesn't it? haha). Firstly I never ever buy them for at home. And now when I'm out and I decide to get one as a treat I try to get coke zero when they have it, or diet coke even though I don't like it as much.

My mom used to drink a lot of diet dr. pepper, and she stopped when she started the 17 day diet, which had a rule of drinking 8 glasses of water per day, and you could drink as many diet sodas as you wanted but for every soda you had to drink an additional glass of water. That really deterred my mom from the soda because she honestly didn't think she could drink any more water than what she already was!