Stretch marks/loose skin

Options
So I have lost about 40 pounds within the last 5 months. I am 179 at 5'7.5- My goal is 125 pounds. I am really worried about loose skin if i lose more :( My question is how slow should I be losing the rest of the weight- (54 pounds)? & what else can I do to prevent the loose skin? I have stretch marks so I think I have bad genetics...

I am 20.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Gabryka
    Gabryka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not sure how slowly you should be losing the weight, but most people who stay within the "healthy" weight loss guide (1 to 1 1/2 pounds per week) don't seem to have as many issues with loose skin.

Also, 125 seems a bit low for your height... I believe the ideal healthy weight for your height is in the 135 to 140 range, as I am 5'8 and my Doctor recommended 140 to 145 for me...
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm reposting this from a similar thread:

I've done a lot of research on this and this is what I've gotten so far:

1. Drink LOTS of water. I'd say at least 9 glasses a day. Hydrated skin is healthy skin and it will tighten up.

2. Increase cardio. A lot of sagging skin is really just fat.

3. Daily brushing (with a boar's hair brush preferably) increases circulation and will help the skin rebound.

4. Massaging does the same.

5. Biotin, collagen, and ALA are supposed to be good supplements to take.

6. Time and SLOWLY losing weight.

7. And of course, weight training, to fill out what the skin sags over.

And Gabryka is right about the 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per week thing.
  • kita_8
    kita_8 Posts: 2
    Options
    According to the BMI Calculator you're target weight range for your height is 119.9 - 162.0 lbs, so you're still barely within the healthy range with your goal. This could make reaching your final goal difficult, but likely not unhealthy. You should always speak with a doctor, though, to be sure.

I've found that working out for half an hour every other day with 20 mins of cardio and 10 mins of toning/strength has over the course of 3 weeks made my softer skin go firmer.
    Are you keeping any kind of workout regime or are you primarily watching your diet?
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    For your healthy weight - Check with your doctor!
    You CANT go by your height alone!

As for me, I'm 5'6 and people say 125-140 is healthy for me.
    HOWEVER.
    I am a large framed girl. (Dutch!)
    So My doctor has said, 160-175 is the lowest I should really be to be healthy!
    And thats 20-35 pounds MORE than what my height is.

:)
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    How long have you had the weight on you? What are your genetics like? i.e parents etc

I am 37....was over weight from baby, child, teenager - didn't do any exercise till I was 20+ yo....I have stretched skin on my arms, stomach etc which no amount of dieting etc will lose

Losing weight slower is best and ensuring you are lifting weights....really important

I need surgery on my arms - they may look ok but I have loose skin from years of being overweight when I was young