Women and Carb backloading

Options
I read a bit about carb backloading, as promoted by Julia Ladewski, who I find super inspiring. The program is $89, but the basic premise can be found around google, so I am pretty sure I have the basic understanding.

You eat your protein and fats during the day, then after you workout, you are not limited to what you can eat. Pizza and ice cream is often mentioned as "acceptable" foods.

Have any of you ladies tried this out and seen success? I am interested in learning a bit more about it, but hesitant to pay for the detailed program. I also have the fear of most women of eating too much.

I just started StrongLifts 5x5 and try to eat around 1900 calories on non-workout days, 2300 on workout days. I currently have been doing a "paleo-ish" diet, but indulge on the weekends. I still hardly hit 2000 calories daily, but the weekend calories definitely come more from carbs than protein and fat.

Replies

• LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sparkdoc
    sparkdoc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump. sorry i dont have any answers but i am interested
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! :)

Here's a good post about it:
    http://www.julialadewski.com/2012/04/carb-back-loading-explained-faq-and-is.html

Just looking for some experience from someone less-professional :)
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    hmm. I dont know. I just watch my caloric intake. I eat pizza, ice cream, candy, whatever. As long as I have eaten fruits, veggies and such. I had doughnuts for breakfast today. For lunch I had a tortilla wrap (homemade) and a sliced cucumber. For supper I had pasta and a big salad. My early evening snack was watermelon and yogurt. My prebed snack a few minutes ago was ice cream. And I am still within my calorie goal for the day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That blog says "Counting calories is pointless. Balancing calories burned with calories ingested just doesn't work. Cutting calories to lose weight will work to some degree to lose scale weight."

I don't find it a convincing argument as expressed above.

http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/training-with-low-muscle-glycogen.html talks of more fat burning after training in carb depleted state and I've read other similar findings.

Carb replenishment post exercise is part of the high carbohydrate exercise philosophy, discussed at the bottom of http://www.fao.org/docrep/W8079E/w8079e0n.htm.

Both of those views would favour eating carbs after daily exercise.
  • winetoweights
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and input, but I'm trying to find people who have tried it, not look for arguments against it.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    check out the 4 hour body, leangains.com, and mark's daily apple for similar strategies. there are specific articles that detail this approach that i am totally blanking out on right now but i'll add them to the thread when i remember. i use the 'backloading' approach when i'm training for a specific event and i need to eat more carbs to keep myself from dying.

i definitely advocate it! sorry this hasn't been a super clear response but i'll come back with more evidence soon!
  • lizellabee
    lizellabee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of setting my body up for backloading by doing 10 days of under 30 carbs. By doing this, I'm training my body to burn fat for energy rather than carbs. Beginning next Friday, I will start carb backloading. I will eat the current low carb breakfast/ lunch I eat now then I will spread my carb intake throughout 4 hours in the afternoon.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    save your money
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    this site is all you need- or something like it.

Paying for a plan should be your first clue its bunk. If there was a plan out there that worked- wouldnt everyone be on it????

EAT RIGHT and EXERCISE. - its right there, for free- yet ppl will try to find the magic bullet- no matter what it costs.
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with stronglikebul, lenagains may be what you need and I've read plenty on marksdailyapple.com about carb-loading. All that info is free, I wouldn't waste the $, IMO.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am interested in learning a bit more about it, but hesitant to pay for the detailed program.

You basically answered your own question to be honest.

Learning more about would mean you contacting the company directly. You have received alot of viable advice from people here who are obviously mirroring your hesitency. You may not have liked some of the posted replies because it wasnt based on personal experience, but they are all giving you the same suggestion.

Save your money, your initial instinct of being hesitant should have been your final decision, IMHO.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    That's funny. If I were going to add carbs back in, I'd want them before I work out, to fuel that workout better. This says eat them after?
  • MrsSexton2013
    MrsSexton2013 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with loading with carbs before a workout, you want your body to go into its fat stores for energy rather than use your carbs you just ingested. Most people I know eat protein before a workout or workout in a fasted state and then eat a sweet potato/or good carb with protein within a few hours of finishing the workout.

Everyone has different methods though
  • winetoweights
    Options
    Thanks for the comments-

Liz, I'd be interested to hear how it goes!

Right now, I'm pretty much sticking to less than 150 on workout days, pretty much only coming from veggies and fruit (my weakness). I allow myself all of the junk on the weekends, which helps keep me disciplined during the week. I eat clean Monday-Friday, no grains, no rice, no legumes.

However, if there are actually people out there (that are not pro power lifters) that have had experience with the method of low-carbing during the day, and loading up after a workout, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say. And primarily women, as even the authors of the program say that men can easily eat more carbs than women without issues.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Carb backloading is a relatively new thing on the scene, I doubt there will be many here who have been doing it for a significant amount of time. It's also sold under the name of the biorhythm diet

http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/articles/nutrition/10480-the-biorhythm-diet

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on the book personally. Food quantity and quality are still king, regardless of when you eat your carbs.
  • sambo1234
    sambo1234 Posts: 1
    Options
    You're really missing the point by thinking "lots of plans say to eat carbs post-workout." Do you realize that the author preps people for figure competitions? Obviously there's something to it. also, if you did any serious research, you'd have come acrss the "Carb Nite Solution," which is specifically geares toward fat loss while keeping muscle.

buy the book.