Target thigh fat?

Options
I was wondering if anyone had some exercise tips on how to target losing fat in the legs. I do mainly the elliptical, but are there any other exercises that may be more effective? Or do I just have to lose weight everywhere else first? :P

Replies

• vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can not pick and choose where you lose the fat. For me, the thigh fat is the last fat to go. You may just have to lose everywhere else first, but it is different for everyone.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You can't target fat areas specifically. It is only through diet and exercise to lose fat. However, I would do some strength training to work on the musculature there. Lunges, squats, pilates... :)
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Squats, lunges, leglifts.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish we could target it.
    I have lost 18 pounds so far (start 205, current 187) and I can tell.....brace yourself.....
    in my fingers first, oh boy, how awesome! not.
    in my knees next, that's helpful too! not. I have to sleep with a pillow between my knees now because they hurt since I'm a side sleeper and they feel bony. My thighs and calves are still as huge as ever....no bathing suits or shorts for me.
    and third...
    in my butt. That is kinda nice, but still....I'd much prefer other areas first.

Like my huge double chin. I'd love, love, love to lose my double chin. Or in my stomach/hips so I can fit into smaller sizes.

Sigh. Must keep pressing on.....
  • ZMC2726
    ZMC2726 Posts: 1
    Options
    It is impossible to do spot reduction. The only way is to carry on doing what you are doing, and eventually, your legs will get smaller. Don't forget to take into account your genetics, you may have a wider frame or a large pelvic bone which will make the top of your thighs bigger.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    liposuction is the only way you can target specific fat loss.

just keep eating at a deficit and you'll see results that will be based on your body type and genetics
  • angieyu34
    angieyu34 Posts: 8
    Options
    When you say keep eating at a deficit, do I have to eat less than my 1200 calories or eat that amount to lose?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    When you say keep eating at a deficit, do I have to eat less than my 1200 calories or eat that amount to lose?
    anything less than your TDEE but something that's more than your BMR but less than your TDEE is going to be more sustainable than something drastic like under 1200
  • angieyu34
    angieyu34 Posts: 8
    Options
    1200 is what this app says I need to eat. It's very confusing.
  • thefoodnerd
    thefoodnerd Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I figured it was something I would just end up waiting for. I have a longer torso and shorter legs, and my figure is very much genetic. So far I have lost it in my chest and waist. :P
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options
    1200 is what this app says I need to eat. It's very confusing.

If you've set up MFP to lose weight, your deficit is already figured into that amount. No need to eat less. In fact, eating less than that may be counterproductive.