Am I too young to do Aqua Fit?

Options
I've been going to my local LA Fitness for 2 weeks now, and I'm really enjoying all the classes they have to offer. I've taken Latin Heat, Zumba, Cycle, Step Up Abs... so on. They all pretty much kicked my *kitten*! But the real reason I signed up for LA Fitness is for the pool, and I'd love to combine these two things in their Aqua Fit classes.

I looked in on one the other day, and everyone was older than me by 3 decades! I know it's a silly question, but I'm a bit self-conscious (and I really don't want to stand out in a group right now), and definitely new to exercising.

However, I'm still intrigued. What do you guys think? To anyone who's done Aqua Fit, is it worth it?

Replies

• nataliefamily3
    Options
    No answer sadly but bump I was wondering the same about aqua zumba
  • lindserly
    lindserly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've done aquafit occasionally. Where I've gone, it depends on the day/ who's running it if I've found it to be any good. I do enjoy it overall though and for the most part am the youngest there by far but I have seen others my age there occasionally. Most of the women I find are there to do modified versions of it and chat with friends anyway.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used to do aqua aerobics but stopped as it's not really my thing anymore, but I loved it when I used to do it. I did it when my back pain was really bad.

There are a few young people, but they're mostly older women. I only went to the classes where there were people around my age, and occasionally did classes when there were people much older than me... I did feel uncomfortable and awkward, especially as I was working out considerably harder than they were... I don't mean to sound rude! but honestly, some people don't push themselves in aqua, but it's a class that does have a lot of people with injuries. so keep that in mind because you could be water jogging and be stuck behind someone who is walking.
  • Shays0518
    Shays0518 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I find myself to be one of the younger people in the AquaFit class. I had ankle surgery a year ago, so the land classes are harder on the ankle for me. I go several times a week and alternate it with my cardio work upstairs.

I say if you want to do AF then you should go. It's like any other class, you find some people that work hard and others that are there to just say they went to a class. I wouldn't worry about anyone else in the class and their age. If you enjoy it, go. I feel like an old fart when I go to the BodyWorks class if it makes you feel any better! :-D
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    One thing you will find about the oldsters in those classes, they don't give a rip how young, old, fat, thin, fast or slow you happen to be. They are wayyyy past worrying about such things. Hang out in the back, behind everyone and do your thing. Try it, if you like it, do more, if you don't, well, you'll dry off pretty quick.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    take the class. at first i thought i was too fit to take the class but whatever. just go and have fun. i consider it an active recovery workout. it's definitely not as challenging for me as it is for others, but it's just as fun.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I do an aqua class - and there are mostly older ladies, but they cheer me on and it can be a lot of fun! Give it a whirl
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    One thing you will find about the oldsters in those classes, they don't give a rip how young, old, fat, thin, fast or slow you happen to be. They are wayyyy past worrying about such things. Hang out in the back, behind everyone and do your thing. Try it, if you like it, do more, if you don't, well, you'll dry off pretty quick.

LOL! Hmmmm - I think I'm sold on trying it out now!
  • Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have started going to one. I have a blast and they kick my backside. I get a good work out and the people are nice. Most were a bit older than me, Im 40, but they were all supportive and welcoming!
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm 27 and I go to aquafit every week. I love it! It can actually be quite a challenging workout if you really throw yourself into it. Depends on the teacher too, but I've had my *kitten* kicked in some of my classes. Where I go it's a very mixed age group, I'm rarely the only young one there, but even if there are only older people in yours, there's no reason you shouldn't go!

I should add that I've seen results from it. I've built nice definition in my arms and shoulders in particular, and probably just about everywhere else that is iess visible. I'm stronger. It also helped me work through some issues I was having with my ankles as well as my back, so it's pretty awesome that you can both get a good workout and develop nice muscle definition and also recover from injuries! Go. Seriously.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If I can do C25K at 64, then by all means you can do an aquafit class. As was mentioned before, it really depends on the instructor, I have had some that really give you a good workout and others where it was a walk in the park. You get out of it what you put into it for the most part. You will be made to feel very welcome I'm sure. Go, enjoy, and if you don't like it all you have wasted is a little time.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm the youngest in my water aerobics class but I really don't care!

It's low impact so I can push myself harder than I could outside the water. I'm doing c-2-5k and I feel like its hard for me to move up one level to the next so before I increase how much I can jog on land I increase it in the pool first. (Right now I'm currently working at the week 1 level on land/week 2 level in the water. Next week I'll move on to week 2 on land/week 3 in the water)

It's been helping me a lot and I do it 5-6 days a week. Give it a try at least. Its awesome for combining with other forms of cardio. For example, I can do yoga, water aerobics, and spinning in one day. They all help in different ways and they all burn calories. Cardio like Zumba kicks my butt whereas yoga and water aerobics I don't feel until later. Although I definitely do feel it later!
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    No, you're not too young :-) You're quite right that those classes are largely older women, but they are protecting their arthritic joints - a problem you don't have to worry about.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    haha I laughed when I saw this post. I did a few of these classes once, and I was the youngest person there. But nobody even paid any attention to me, they were all too busy doing their own thing. The classes are a lot of fun, you should just try it once at least to see how you like it.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 and I do Aqua Fit, Splash Fit, and Aqua Zumba. I'm typically the youngest in my classes although every now and again we get someone even yonger. No one minds, everyones there for a common purpose and we all support each other. I'd recommend letting the instructor know that your new to the class before hand so that they will explain things a bit more. It's a nice workout and alot of fun! I say go for it! And if your feeling insecure...well, just think, once you take off the towel and get into the water, no one can see you except for the shoulders up or so!!
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I tried it before and was one of three non-seniors. A lot of the seniors seem to use it as a social hour, too - so that made it difficult to take it as seriously when the instructor kept saying to move this way, etc. and the seniors were chatting and not moving along.

However, if you find a class where that's not an issue, I say go for it. At the time, I didn't think I was getting that much of a workout, but I did feel it the next day. :) I think totally worth it.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I think if you really push yourself you'll get a great workout. It depends on how motivated you are to really push what they are doing. I think that you may just be in an area where there are a lot of older folks. The older ones don't normally want to do Zumba or really aggressive exercises sometimes because of how hard they can be on the body. That's probably why you see them there. My sister actually bought some equipment to do that sort of exercise in our pool and I can tell you - she's young and athletic and boy does it work you out! I was surprised. You could check out the type of equipment used during the water exercises and if they don't have the water fins stuff - ask the instructor about what type of water equipment might up the exercise for you. :)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I think it is normally older people, but I say give it a try and see how you like it. The intensity of the class depends on the instructor!
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tried it before and was one of three non-seniors. A lot of the seniors seem to use it as a social hour, too - so that made it difficult to take it as seriously when the instructor kept saying to move this way, etc. and the seniors were chatting and not moving along.

However, if you find a class where that's not an issue, I say go for it. At the time, I didn't think I was getting that much of a workout, but I did feel it the next day. :) I think totally worth it.

Ditto, you may have to get a spot closer to the instructor to avoid the social circles. However, on days your really tired you can still move around and zone off, so it is really flexible in intensity. You get what you put into it. Plus, I had knee troubles. I would suggest getting some water shoes to get the best out of it and protect you feet during the more foot heavy movements. Also, taking swim classes with seniors, I didn't feel self-conscious in my swim suit.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I took some aqua fit classes back when I was 19. It was a decent workout! You should do it.