Getting motivated on my own

Options
My fiance and I have started the exercise together but with his work schedule, sometimes it can be hard for both of us to work out together. So he'll send me to the gym to make sure I stay on my work out schedule. Problem I'm having is that when its just me needing to go work out alone I have no motivation. And when I do get to the gym it feels more like I'm forcing myself to work out. I somewhat enjoy it once I get started, but it's like I just want to get it over with. Any ideas/advice on how to work out alone and to get the motivation?

Replies

• jmwoolford
    jmwoolford Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there. What I have been doing is coming up with a goal for each week. Each week is different and its purpose is to "Shake up" things. I still eat healthy and exercise but I add that weekly goal in for something to stay focused on.
    For example, this week my goal was to focus on the distances of my workouts- not the calories burnt or the time spent doing them. So far, I have gone 30 miles. Some walking, some biking and some swimming.
    Other ideas of weekly goals:
    100 oz of water a day
    eat something green and leafy with each meal for a week
    try one new exercise a day
    You could make yours all about the gym, try a new machine each visit. Go further distances each visit,
    Make it a game.
    Hope this was helpful and congrats on your pending nuptuals!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I've always worked out alone. I like it. Workout videos really motivate me- I throw myself all in and pretend I'm in class lol

check out my new you tube channel!! tryin to reach out and motivate/support others!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJoF0wJNGwE
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, my bf is in the army so he works out at work, sometimes twice a day! I find I do NOTHING! I bought an exercise bike and that's helping but I can't bring myself to work out often
  • amswanson3
    amswanson3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find that it's the only "alone" time I get.. and I LOVE it! lol
    Somedays it's hard to get started but I know that I'll enjoy it once I get started and always feel good about myself afterwards. So, I use that to get me there. It sucks right now but I'll be so happy/proud/(insert adjective) once I complete my workout. One thing I've started doing was bringing along my music player. I created a special workout playlist that really gets me going. I push play on my music player and just zone out.
  • sportjeep
    sportjeep Posts: 13
    Options
    @jmwoolford: Thank you :). That's a good dea, to start something new. I'm really hoping this won't sound like an excuse, but unfortunately out clubhouse doesn't offer a large selection of workouts :(. But my fiancé and I are hopefully going to be joining an actual end by the time our engagement party mid August of next month.

@amswanson3: I have my IPod that I have military running cadences (about 4 so far) that starts me off. But dang it, it's getting off my lazy butt and making it to the gym lol.