Mirena making weight loss impossible?

Options
Just wondering if there are other women who have the IUD Mirena and are finding it hard to lose weight? I hit my goal weight last September but after having Mirena inserted in Feb I have gained 20lbs back. No matter how clean I eat or how much I workout my weight will not drop. Instead its a constant battle just to stay the same weight and not gain.

Replies

• PinkHippieGirl
    PinkHippieGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to wonder of it is not hindering my weight loss too. I'm thinking about getting mine taken out to see if it helps.
  • Green_Eyed_Girl88
    Green_Eyed_Girl88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is my second insertion because I loved the 5 years with my first. I never thought about it hindering weight loss but I was So Overweight and gained a good 60lbs over those 5 years. I'm wondering if its because my body is adjusting to the new one or if this is going to be long term. I'm giving it until Christmas and if I'm still not losing weight, I'm losing the Mirena instead!
  • khouston22
    khouston22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is another topic thread on this here:-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/329675-did-you-lose-weight-after-having-the-mirena-taken-out?page=4#posts-10046505

I had mine in 6 months ago, put 7lbs on within a week of insertion after losing 56lbs and haven't been able to shift an ounce since.....the other thread is quite enlightening!
  • sugarlovebug
    sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and have had it for 3 years now. I have lost 30lbs in the past few months, with the help of ACE. I stayed the same after having it inserted, then I got on the healthy kick. lost 25lbs with eating right and walking an hour every day back in the summer of 2011. Then the winter of 2011 I gained about 20lb back because I was put on a mild anti-anxeity.

I have been on ACE since May 7th and I am down almost 30lbs. I eat healthier and I walk 3-5 times a week. ACE has given me the energy to get up and move, since my anti-anxiety med killed my energy. I know that most are against dietary supplements, but this product is all natural and I am happy with my success with it!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Every pound of weight loss my ticker shows below is with Mirena.

That said: I am not you. If you think it might be affecting you, have it removed and see?
  • Green_Eyed_Girl88
    Green_Eyed_Girl88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input ladies and the link to the other post was very helpful. During my first 5 years on Mirena I did lose 70lbs but after my 2nd insertion I gained 20 back and am finding it so difficult to lose it.
  • jillytilley
    Options
    Have you considered a non-hormonal IUD?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Get your hormone levels checked. This is exactly why I am no longer on any sort of hormonal birth control. My body naturally produces very high levels of estrogen, so birth control increases them even further, making weight loss impossible for me when I'm on birth control. When I was on birth control I was at my most active (this was when I was a teenager), and I still put on 30 lbs in 3 months. My gyno checked my hormone levels, and then pulled me off of birth control. Not just because of the weight gain, but that was a contributing factor.

Also, it might have been fine 5 years ago, but many women's hormone levels will fluctuate with age. Some go higher, some go lower.

I'd just recommend checking with your doctor. If you absolutely believe it's contributing to weight gain (which could be very likely), have it taken out.

Remember, every woman's body is completely different. What works for some may not work for others. Just don't get discouraged. You WILL get it off!
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    While I was absolutely in love with my mirena but I was also having the same problem. I was 10 pounds less them my pre-pregnancy weight after my daughter and still losing when I got mirena. Within 30 days I gained 20 pounds. Coincidence..could be but I don't think so. I got mine out yesterday and I already feel better. I don't feel as tired and I don't feel as irritable. As for weightloss I can't say for sure yet but I will be more then happy to let you know as thing progress.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i had this coil a few years ago and put on about 3 stone!! i am the same with the jag or the pill (anything with estrogen). you could mabey get fitted for a diaphram - as far as i'm aware this doesn't use hormones. i got sterilised - probably not helpful but works for me.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Every woman is truly different.

I was on the pill for 10 years and was struggling to drop any weight, I wasn't gaining just staying the same. Two weeks ago I got Mirena and actually feel better than I was on the pill and have dropped some water weight. I know two weeks isn't long but I hope Mirena is the better choice for me. No more pills, blah!
  • mommyweighless
    Options
    Had it out since Monday and I have already dropped 3 pounds and my stomach is not nearly as bloated!
  • sugarlovebug
    sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    for me I can deal with a little stomach bloat if I'm not having periods! that is complete bliss!! shoot I bought a huge box of tampons from Sam's shortly after having it inserted...3yrs later there is not even a dent in the box!! Love it!!
  • mommyweighless
    Options
    for me I can deal with a little stomach bloat if I'm not having periods! that is complete bliss!! shoot I bought a huge box of tampons from Sam's shortly after having it inserted...3yrs later there is not even a dent in the box!! Love it!!

I had a ton of other side effects as well. Fair warning though to all ladies about the removal. It does not hurt but the bleeding after is ridiculous. You body has to shed everything from the walls of your uterus and it is like the bleeding experienced after birth. Be sure to talk to your gyn about it so they can give you meds ahead of time to help prevent or slow the bleeding!
  • khouston22
    Options
    Great info about the bleeding - thank you - I insisted on meds to reduce which they have given me greatfully! I insert post from another thread that I have just made:-

OK - here goes. Had mine removed this morning but have to go for another scan to check a few bits and pieces out HOWEVER.....I spoke quite frankly to the GP who removed about weight (water) gain; breast tenderness; acne; foggy brain; feeling pregnant and she burst out laughing (in a nice way) and said "why did nobody tell you about this before it went in - that is what progesterone does - let's get it out and you can get back to normal"

I had it out and an old trusty copper one put back in (so I am awaiting my massively heavy periods to come back with a vengeance) but at the end of the day, I feel less foggy already so maybe. just maybe there is something in all this.

She said around 5lbs will come off almost instantly as the water retention dissapears and if the increased number of wees is anything to go by I think she is right.

Most importantly, trust your body, trust your own mind and if it doesn't feel right, have it removed. I will update again in a few days when I have had longer to get used to being without it!

Fingers crossed everyone!
  • mommyweighless
    Options
    Great info about the bleeding - thank you - I insisted on meds to reduce which they have given me greatfully! I insert post from another thread that I have just made:-

Glad I could help someone!
    I had it out and an old trusty copper one put back in (so I am awaiting my massively heavy periods to come back with a vengeance) but at the end of the day, I feel less foggy already so maybe. just maybe there is something in all this.

What is the difference between the two other than the hormones? How much more do you like it?
  • khouston22
    Options
    The copper obviously has no hormones but still does the job! The main difference with copper is usually heavier periods but docs have good ways of controlling this.

I'm already noticing differences (some not so great but will dissapear in time) - so in answer to your question, I like copper a lot more because selfishly the impact of not losing any weight by having the mirena was really getting me down. I am hopeful the pounds will start to slide off again now with a little focus!
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My experience with the Mirena has only been positive and I have lost 48lbs since having one fitted. It gave me the confidence to start exercising, which before felt impossible due to really long and incredibly heavy TOM, that seemed to be ruling my life. I think it is amazing.

Like others have said maybe it doesn't suit everyone.