Need advice - open diary

Options
So I haven't been losing any weight since I started. I eat pretty healthy. There have been a few work/family things that have caused me to eat a bit more unhealthy recently (ex. pizza) but I still end up under my calories. I love eating fruits and veggies and I usually eat quite a bit of them. I used to eat about 600-800 calories a day but I was worried I went into starvation mode or something so I've been trying to increase my calories. I try and eat some nuts (almonds) every day for that. I do find that the only time I'm close to my calorie goal is when I am eating something unhealthy (ex. pizza, fries, etc.). I am trying to avoid that and I won't be eating something bad like that for a while ... no work/family things coming up!!

I'm 5', female, 175 lbs. My goal is probably about 150 lbs. I don't want to lose my shape but I want the extra fat that I have like in my stomach and thighs to go away.

I want to exercise but I'm scared to do anything intense. I do walk a few km almost every night though. I don't log that, I only log it if I'm doing something huge. Most weekends, I go dancing for hours as well. I log that. But the point is, I'm working on exercising!

Anyway, my diary is open. Please offer any advice. Thanks!!!

Replies

• mollykat73
    mollykat73 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are clearly not eating enough on some days. Also, I wonder about your quick added calories. How accurate do you think you are?
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough, so your body is holding on to everything. You need to find out your BMR (Basic metabolic rate) that will let you know what you need to eat just to survive lying in bed all day. There is a group here called Eat More 2 Weigh Less, you don't need to join, but they have great advice about how to get started. So you are eating the right amount of calories to loose. The website that they give is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ I found this very helpful. Hopefully you do too.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    You are clearly not eating enough on some days. Also, I wonder about your quick added calories. How accurate do you think you are?

Thanks for that advice. I have started eating more recently and I gained 2 lbs back (the 2 lbs that I lost *sigh*).

I try to add "more" instead of "less" for my quick-add calories. Sometimes it is homemade soup or something (my boyfriend makes it and tells me how many calories is in it), or an item that just isn't listed but I find the calories elsewhere. The one day I had some pizza at a restaurant but it was not listed at all but I got the info at the restaurant so I knew what I was eating :p.
  • oldsalty1
    oldsalty1 Posts: 70
    Options
    My daughter is vegan...5'2" and eats all the time..she uses kale, nuts etc for her protein. I don't think you are eating enough. What is your BMR and TDEE..(if you do not know just google them and the calculators will show up). Many other folks here on MFP are much more experienced and knowledgeable on this subject...Do your research and find what is right for you...

My own experience...I was not loosing and exercising 4-5 days a week..(6 weeks worth). I upped my calories from 1200 (eating exercise calories back) to 1400-1600 calories and sometimes eating exercise calories back! and have lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks.

I also do not have the binge urges with the upped calories...this is a pleasant surprise....
  • shaynak112
    Options
    Okay so I looked at this BMR site
    BMR: 1594
    TDEE 1913
    Daily calories based on goal: 1530

This seems VERY high. It's hard enough for me to get to 1200 calories a day! How am I supposed to increase my calories? In a healthy way? I'm just not that hungry. I don't eat meat at all and I avoid cheese/milk/eggs (although not completely). I also can't afford to buy a lot of nuts :p lol.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could you make your oats with milk instead of water?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    TDEE 1913

This seems VERY high. It's hard enough for me to get to 1200 calories a day! How am I supposed to increase my calories? In a healthy way? I'm just not that hungry. I don't eat meat at all and I avoid cheese/milk/eggs (although not completely). I also can't afford to buy a lot of nuts :p lol.

You're very low on your protein on average because of what you explained above. Try to incorporate more lentils, beans, peanut butter in your diet. They'll come with the extra carbs but I don't think you have more alternatives if you want to rule out animal protein or if you don't want to use protein powder.
  • shaynak112
    Options
    Could you make your oats with milk instead of water?

Thanks, but soy milk is expensive LOL we don't have it often. And I find that the dry soy milk powder just isn't very appetizing :p. lol
    Perhaps I will try it when we have soy milk though :)
  • lmrichey
    lmrichey Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi make sure you are weighing and measuring everything!!!! That's the most important. And I would definitely hit the calories that they give you everyday!!! And you can add your exercise everyday it does not mean you have to use those extra calories! Pizza is ok just eat 1 piece and a side salad or eat 2 pieces and eat a smaller breakfast! You have to eat to lose so I think that 800 calories a day is way to little eat at least 1200. Good luck!!:bigsmile:
  • shaynak112
    Options
    TDEE 1913

You're very low on your protein on average because of what you explained above. Try to incorporate more lentils, beans, peanut butter in your diet. They'll come with the extra carbs but I don't think you have more alternatives if you want to rule out animal protein or if you don't want to use protein powder.

Sounds good, I guess I can try for more beans. When I have a normal dinner, it usually includes beans (chickpeas!) but with working late and stuff that hasn't been possible. Will try for more beans! I think we have some lentils here too !
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, I guess I can try for more beans. When I have a normal dinner, it usually includes beans (chickpeas!) but with working late and stuff that hasn't been possible. Will try for more beans! I think we have some lentils here too !

I love chickpeas! Improvise with legumes, you can boil them and use in salads, sandwiches, soup! Especially lentils are a good source of fiber as well, followed by beans. Proteinwise, they're nowhere near meat per weight. So you'll eat more for sure :p Do you dislike the idea of tossing some diced chicken meat in your salads? Lean meat added here and there (same as legumes, use them anywhere you like) will help you keep on your calorie goals more efficiently.
  • murphyfitfreak
    Options
    As you increase your calorie intake you will have more energy.... with the new energy you will find yourself being more active. As you are more active you will burn more calories and then in turn be far more hungry. On this site you will read about alot of people complaining that they are hungry all the time. The reason is becasue of their activity level.

This week aim for 1000 calories daily.... and the week after aim for 1200 daily. if you finding your not hungry yet at this point go grab those slimfast type shakes at places like walmart and grocery stores. They are usually around 300 calories or so. Eat small amounts of foos every 3 hours. This speeds up your metabolisim.... which gives energy.... which will be burnt back off.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I want to exercise but I'm scared to do anything intense. I do walk a few km almost every night though. I don't log that, I only log it if I'm doing something huge. Most weekends, I go dancing for hours as well. I log that. But the point is, I'm working on exercising!
    Why don't you log the km you walk? Is it included already in your baseline activity level? If not, you should count that as exercise I think.

And why are you scared to do anything intense? Do you have chronic injuries? Or just hesitant to do something new?