ADVICE FOR 1/2 MARATHON TRAINING??

I'm am working on running a 1/2 marathon in September, yes that gives me about 7 weeks to train...

I am looking for any and all advice for training??

This is where I am at....

I can run 9:30 minute miles..

I can run for almost 30 minutes without stopping...

Saturdays are my "long run" days...

Thanks in advanced!!!!!! :)

Replies

• amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    I followed Hal Higdon's plans for my last race and it went pretty well except I thought he needed to put in a tad longer taper at the end. They are here: http://halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

In general, you'll want to increase by around no more than 10% of your previous long run mileage each week and ideally not always bump up the mileage on that long run to give yourself a bit of a rest. About halfway through the longer train plan he had a recovery week thrown in but at 7 weeks away I think you'll probably just do a solid building of mileage .

Keep your other runs short and if you feel like you have a decent base, you can throw in an interval or hill run each week. A moderate run, a recovery run, a more intense but shorter run then a long easy slower run for endurance is what most plans tend to look like.

You say that you can run 9:30 miles and about 30 min at a time... when you start increasing your mileage and you find that you can't run further, that's an indication that for that endurance building run that you'll want to slow down so that you can go farther. In time your pace on that longer run will pick up.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I would highly recommend hitting up your local book store and picking up a book (or two) on marathon training. If it was written by a well-respected coach, it should be pretty good, and will be a lot better information than anything anyone on here can give you!
  • chrisbcreme1
    chrisbcreme1 Posts: 60 Member
    Increase your mileage and run everyday. Try not to take an off day except every other sunday. Even if it means just going out and doing 10 minutes of running. Try every week to increase your weekly mileage, but dont exceed a 5-7 mile per week increase. This will build a base for you when you hit September. The last few days before the 10K, just do short and easy runs with alot of stretching. With the increase in base mileage along with the fact your legs will be stronger and you will be lighter (and adrenaline) you will do just fine on a half marathon and i predict youll do a sub 9 min/mile average with the training i said.

I ran 4 years of college cross country... i have run multiple half marathons, and i have run 1 full marathon and training to run a 2nd one.

Add me if you like if you want any further info. oh and a good pair of running shoes is vital to success (and no that does NOT include nike shocks)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    runners world has some great training tips...google free 1/2 marathon training and you can find some great training plans. Most plans are 10 week plans, but I am sure you can modify for having 7 weeks left.

The main thing is to start increasing your time on your feet. Don't worry about speed, go for distance and endurance. Slow your speed down, say to a 10 min mile, and go longer. Find your "forever pace" the pace that you feel that you can keep holding and running. Rule of thumb is to increase by 10% per week.

Make sure you mix up your runs, do intervals, tempo, hills, flat road, and of course long runs. Also add in cross training, it helps with endurance...bike, swim, elliptical...add in strength training, squats, lunges, side lunges, curtsey lunges, box jumps, sumo squats, etc...
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    thanks everyone! I am taking it all in! if you would like ad me and we can stay in touch on this crazy new journey! :)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Bump.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    runners world has some great training tips...google free 1/2 marathon training and you can find some great training plans. Most plans are 10 week plans, but I am sure you can modify for having 7 weeks left.

The main thing is to start increasing your time on your feet. Don't worry about speed, go for distance and endurance. Slow your speed down, say to a 10 min mile, and go longer. Find your "forever pace" the pace that you feel that you can keep holding and running. Rule of thumb is to increase by 10% per week.

Make sure you mix up your runs, do intervals, tempo, hills, flat road, and of course long runs. Also add in cross training, it helps with endurance...bike, swim, elliptical...add in strength training, squats, lunges, side lunges, curtsey lunges, box jumps, sumo squats, etc...

This is good advice and I did similar to both of the half trainings I have accomplished. Runner's World has great 1/2 plans as well as Hal.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    What is the furthest distance you have run so far??
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    I would run only every other day (to rest the muscles in between)
    Increasing your mileage every week.. eat a ton of CARBS! don't be afraid!
    Ran my first half last week. :D good luck!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    If you go to runnersworld, you can input your stats, and it will set up a training programme for you. I used hal higdon for my first half, but I'm preferring the runnersworld programme I have for my second.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Runner's World SmartCoach plan is great for ramping up mileage in less than 16 weeks. It's more focused on cross training and getting the long runs in than other plans and I think that's what's kept me injury free despite my numerous running shenanigans! Have fun girl! You can do this!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    I am running my first 1/2 at the end of September - so I am no expert, but here's the plan I came up with for me. When I signed up for the 1/2, I was already up to 8.5 miles for my longest run.

Tues: 5 miles run - pushing the pace (around 10min per mile for me on my current course which is hilly)

Thursday: usually a 4 mile run, with a 5 minute warmup job, then 1/2 mile fast, 1/4 slow, repeating 3 more times, and then a more sedate jog the last 5 min or so

Saturday: Long run at an easy pace (around 11:20 rt now, but I am getting a little faster each time) - add about a 1/2 to 1mile each week. Every 3rd week or so, I am going to do a shorter run on Saturday.

Anyway, that should get me to a 12, a 13 and a 14 mile run 3 weeks before my race. I was going to alternate every weekend with a long run and then a shorter run, because the long runs were wiping me out. But, today I ran 9.5 miles, and I feel great!! I rested for about an hour afterwards, and now am going about my normal day (pressure washing deck today!) I guess my body is adjusting. I also ate a big carby dinner last night, so I think that helped.

From what I have read, you really just need at least a 10 mile run before the race. I just want to get in more, because I have the time, and because I found I really enjoy the long runs.

Edit: I do workout on my non run days - Kettlebell workout -- I think they really help with the running too.
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Great topic, thanks for starting the thread! Lots of good advice already posted - Runners World is a great resource and inspiration.
    I'll chime in that I am also training for my first Half in late Sept (Rock-n-Roll Montreal - anyone else?)

I currently follow Galloway's training plan, which is a run/walk. I'm running 3 days a week, with long days on Sat. (run 4 min; walk 1 min): http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

A friend who didn't have much training time, but who was already in pretty good cardiovascular shape followed this plan with success. It's a 10-week plan, which you could maybe adapt to fit your timeline: http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

I am just training to finish and am trying to not get fixated on the time. Though in my local races (10k's etc) I tend to go out fast and have trouble pacing. It's funny, I started running for cardio/weight loss, but I love it and now want to lose lbs to run faster.

Good luck!