come out come out wherever u are wls

Options
I'm going to my third preop appointment august 8th and I just wanted all the info I could get about the surgery, recovery, weightloss and so on.

Replies

• ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    Is that you in your profile pic? If so, you don't look big enough to have wls? Regardless, it's your decision and I can tell you what I know. :-) What kind of surgery are you thinking? band? sleeve? gastric bypass?

In January, I decided to go to an info meeting about wls and found out about the sleeve. Even though I have never been comfortable with the idea of wls, I decided to make an appointment with the doctor. My sister had gastric bypass over 2 years ago and I was looking at her new freedoms and thinking I wanted to be able to do things like her. My insurance requires 6 months of pre-op, so I started on that path hoping the more I did and the more I learned, I would become more comfortable with it. I found mfp and joined a gym the day after my first appointment. As the months went by I did not find myself becoming more comfortable with the surgery. 4 months in I told the doc that I was not going to have the surgery. I still go to the appointments for her to look over my food diaries and keep me accountable, but I never met with the surgeon. I have severe plantar faciitis and bad knees, I have been well over 300 pounds for over 20 years (but hit under 300 a few weeks ago!!), but I still find exercises I can do and record my food. I mess up a lot and have a great deal of issues with food and find myself binging almost every other week. For me though as I struggled through the first few months, I realized that my issues are all over the place, but most of it is in my mind. Because wls will not alter my mind, I still can't justify doing it.

My sister and another friend that had gastric bypass both have severely low iron and vitamin D. There are health issues there that are a direct result of the surgery. They have also not formed healthy eating or exercise habits. It's in the mind and that's what needs to be changed and that takes more work.

I started at 351 on February 1 and am 296 right now. I still have more than 100 pounds to lose. But I am determined to lose what I can by changing my mindset.

All of that said, I am not anti wls for everyone. I do think there are extreme cases where it is a tool that some need to spark weight loss....but my honest opinion is that it's for people who cannot move, and also need counseling along the way.
  • kluvfreddy
    kluvfreddy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Amen! Well said, alot of people try to find the quick and easy way out and don't think about the future outcome. I have known many people that have gained their weight back after WLS. The mind is a powerful thing and having WLS does not stop the thought process. I have learned that eating to fuel your body and exercise is the answer to a healthier you. I have bad days and fall, then I see where I've been and how far I have come and I pick myself up and keep going. I enjoy food but I have to tell myself everyday that I just need to fuel my body to survive and quit over eating because I am sad, or stressed out because I am only hurting myself. I have found that when I am feeling like eating or down I chose to get my butt up and find something to do either around the house, exercise or just go window shop. I'm not going to lie and say it has'nt been hard because it has! and it will continue to be a life of making better choices. But one day you have to decide that only "YOU" can change how your body looks and get healthier. WLS will help out but ultimately "YOU" will have to make several sacrifices to maintain and learn to eat properly and excercise and teach your brain that food is meant to fuel your body. Eating well, exercising and an occasional splurge day is ok too, just in moderation. Another thing that bothers me about WLS is noone really knows how this surgery will affect you in the future health wise...YES you will lose faster but how will it effect your health later in life? We know many have gained their weight back....In the end it is a hard decisicion, just rememember that your mind prevails and if you can't retrain your mind your back where you began.. It's a hard journey we all will have to travel and it will never be over. Making a life change is how we continue to be a success to being healthy. Good Luck to all and blessings to all.
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Amen! Well said, alot of people try to find the quick and easy way out and don't think about the future outcome. I have known many people that have gained their weight back after WLS. The mind is a powerful thing and having WLS does not stop the thought process. I have learned that eating to fuel your body and exercise is the answer to a healthier you. I have bad days and fall, then I see where I've been and how far I have come and I pick myself up and keep going. I enjoy food but I have to tell myself everyday that I just need to fuel my body to survive and quit over eating because I am sad, or stressed out because I am only hurting myself. I have found that when I am feeling like eating or down I chose to get my butt up and find something to do either around the house, exercise or just go window shop. I'm not going to lie and say it has'nt been hard because it has! and it will continue to be a life of making better choices. But one day you have to decide that only "YOU" can change how your body looks and get healthier. WLS will help out but ultimately "YOU" will have to make several sacrifices to maintain and learn to eat properly and excercise and teach your brain that food is meant to fuel your body. Eating well, exercising and an occasional splurge day is ok too, just in moderation. Another thing that bothers me about WLS is noone really knows how this surgery will affect you in the future health wise...YES you will lose faster but how will it effect your health later in life? We know many have gained their weight back....In the end it is a hard decision, just remember that your mind prevails and if you can't retrain your mind your back where you began.. It's a hard journey we all will have to travel and it will never be over. Making a life change is how we continue to be a success to being healthy. Good Luck to all and blessings to all.

***forgive me for post jumping***
    ^^^I agree with the previous poster, both my brother's in law had the gastric bypass. One changed his lifestyle, the other didn't. both lost a ton of weight, one gained it ALL back. The other has gained a small amount, but knows that if he doesn't watch, he will be back in the same place he was.

You are doing so well, please keep it up. Trust me, if you can conquer this, you can conquer anything. The best of luck in your journey.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a lap bander. I had my surgery in June last year. I haven't had any real complications from it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone for weight loss surgery. Why you may ask since I had it done.. Because it don't solve the problem really. It starts with you making the lifestyle changes. I still have to eat the good foods, be physical, and everything else everyone who hasn't had surgery must do. Otherwise it fails. The easiest foods to get down are the bad ones, chips, cookies,ice cream etc. But eating healthy foods is harder and takes longer to eat. I failed for a while, but I am back on track now, we all have slip ups, were not perfect. We are fighting an addiction. Something we will have to deal with for life. Support is so important. Even if it is online. Knowledge is power, knowing what foods are good for you bad for you, will help so much. That is one good thing from the program that helped me. The dietitian just showing me and telling me what to eat and to stay away from. But if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't of had the surgery. But I can't say anything about the rest of the surgery's out there. I know the gastric bypass may help people with sugar issues because of dumping syndrome and getting ill when consuming sugar, but I don't know if that is the case for everyone who has had it. In the end... it's all about you and your willingness and determination :)
  • alettep
    alettep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I work in a clinic and have seen many people who have had WLS. The ones who are successful truly change their eating habits & add exercise. Often I see people who have slipped into old habits~choosing unhealthy foods, grazing all day, etc. There are complications to beware of, often have low vitamin, iron levels, dumping syndrome, throwing up when they do overindulge. There are people who this surgery is a lifesaver but honestly if you can make the changes without surgery, it is a safer way. I have seen too many of the complications/bad effects to recommend this route.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm going to my third preop appointment august 8th and I just wanted all the info I could get about the surgery, recovery, weightloss and so on.

Overall, mfp is probably not the best website to get support for wls. If you want a community of people who are very pro-wls, you might try www.obesityhelp.com
  • jenniflower75
    jenniflower75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thats my profile pic from last summer before i put all my weight back on :( im back up to 200 lbs give or take a pound or two. I know there are risks to the surgery but im scared im going to continue to yoyo diet if i dont use this tool. my problem isnt what i eat but instead how much i eat. I am always hungry. Ive learned to discern between boredom/emotional eating and hunger and i truly am hungry all the time. UGH so this is a tool i absolutely need to suceed. This is my second time looking into the surgery and the first time my insurance company wouldn't cover it because i lost too much weight but now i have a new insurance company and i qualify. This is something very important to me because i struggle with walking as exercise and even daily living. i'm always out of breath and break into a sweat just walking to the bathroom upstairs. I can't live like this no more. ITs not a matter of whether or not i can get the weight off without the surgery its a matter of keeping it off for the long haul.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!