new - went way over calories yesterday

Options
Hi,

I have been tracking food and doing well, as I recover from knee surgery. Yesterday was one of the first days I got out of the house in a month. I went to see my friend and her 2 delicious infant twins. We ordered sushi for lunch and I had no idea untill I got home later that my 3 rolls added up to more than my whole days calories!! I always thought sushi would be low in calories, I mean raw fish and rice?? I was too bummed out to enter it in my food diary and ate something else later because I was annoyed ( OK an Italian ice and watermelon, but hey I should have been done with all those lunch calories) My question is - should I log it in for yesterday or start fresh today?

Kris

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I like to log accurately so if I ever want to look back and see when I was losing and when I was stalled I'll know exactly what I was eating during that time.
  • Jerrygirl2
    Options
    I have been going over my calories since vacation two weeks ago! Even though I got off track, I am going to try again and not give up. This is a journey.
  • alikonner
    alikonner Posts: 67
    Options
    You can log or not log.. I've done that before... It's more about not letting it get you discouraged and now over eat from now on. YOu know? Everyone's entitled to have an enjoyable day, but don't let it discourage you! Good luck! Stick with it!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been tracking food and doing well, as I recover from knee surgery. Yesterday was one of the first days I got out of the house in a month. I went to see my friend and her 2 delicious infant twins. We ordered sushi for lunch and I had no idea untill I got home later that my 3 rolls added up to more than my whole days calories!! I always thought sushi would be low in calories, I mean raw fish and rice?? I was too bummed out to enter it in my food diary and ate something else later because I was annoyed ( OK an Italian ice and watermelon, but hey I should have been done with all those lunch calories) My question is - should I log it in for yesterday or start fresh today?

Kris

Rolls suck. They are full of mayo, and they put sugar in the rice. Sushi is not really all that healthy. It can be if you have sashimi. And some sushis are OK. I just get shrimp, and spicy tuna hand roll. Things I know are fairly pure. Rolls are mostly bad for you. Better than a cheeseburger though, but still they probably aren't what you think.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Log it, start fresh today.

Now I want sushi!

eta: If you plan carefully in advance, you can be within your chosen calorie goal - things like miso soup and seaweed salad are good to start with :D I usually get one roll, a few pieces of nigiri, and one of the above. I usually try to avoid crunchy, mayo, cream cheese, and fried but sometimes I cant help myself!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I've done both, but I really reccommend to log everything that goes in your mouth even if it is a bad day. Its okay to indulge and have days where you are over! I have noticed if I have a splurge day, I get a big loss for the week. Its kinda weird. :laugh:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Try sashimi next time. It's the rice that puts sushi over the top.

If I leave something out or forget to enter it that day - I'll correct the log the next day. Mentally I move on, it's not a big deal to go over for a day.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Log it....You're doing this because you want to make a change, so you need to be truthful with yourself, even when you do slip up!

Don't stress it - we have all done it and will continue to do it, but at least if you log it you are being honest and when you look back you will see the changes you have since made and how far you have come! :flowerforyou:
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Today's a brand new day :) (I'd log it just to use as future reference, but don't let it get you down.....we all have those days) ;)

All the best in your weight loss journey!!
  • TheeFierceOne
    TheeFierceOne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Log everything to give yourself a good and accurate knowledge of what you've been eating. It isn't a contest, it's supposed to be what you actually ate. Then, start anew the next day. I often notice that I am not as hungry the day after "going over", so it seems to work itself out. Plus, when I started, I didn't worry too much about the daily calorie counts, for me it was getting in the habit of accurately logging my food.
  • Ravenclaw2012
    Options
    Well it's bound to happen every now and then. Just don't let it get you down! But I'd still log it so you can go back and look to see what threw you off later on, plus I dunno about anyone else but that glaring red negative number tends to shock me back on track!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sushi doesn't have to be high in calories! Try ditching the fish/sauce laden options and go with simple classics- i love cucumber maki and 4 pieces are 90 calories (:
    Today's a new day, put it behind you and make today count.
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    Log it, stay accountable, that's what I love about this sight..I've been tempted to lie to myself several times about my food but I feel so much better when it is logged and I can see what I have done. Check out some of the open diarys..Most of us have blown it several time , it's all about getting up and dusting your self off.
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd say log it but don't beat yourself up over it. You're learning. This is part of the process. What I find helpful is to check the calories before I order. The phone app is really handy for this. Even if it's not 100% accurate it's better than the post - holy cow I ate all that feeling.
  • Fitnfab36
    Fitnfab36 Posts: 11
    Options
    It's best to log it so you can look back at it for future reference. Also not logging it does not make the fact go away that you ate it
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I believe it is very important to log everything, especially when it is a new habit you are trying to create. Once you don't log one bad meal (or day), it becomes much easier to not log something the next time. Plus if not logging your bad days becomes a habit, it provides much less of a deterent to overindulging since you know you wont log it in. It can eventually lead to not logging at all.

This is just my personal opinion. Best of luck.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I like to log everything I eat. Sometimes I think I've completely bombed it, but at the end of the week I look at my weekly average and I'm still at a deficit (not the full amount to lose my 1lb a week, but still under maintenance). Plus, it helps keep me in the habit of being accountable.
  • MillerCrock
    MillerCrock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I went way over when I had friends over, and when I didn't choose between icecream and mojitos. I logged them. It's part of the learning curve. Put it in your notes that you had a great time! 1 day won't hurt. Walk around the block twice. Live and learn.
  • kam502
    kam502 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies and kind support. MFP people are wonderful! I read your advice and decided that to be honest with my self and quickly get back on track for today. Your kind support helped me not get aggravated and stick with food logging. It's funny - I despised Weight Watchers, all the counting points and logging their stuff. I felt like it made me obsessed with food (so much about getting more for your points etc.) Tracking calories and watching nutrients seems much more cleaner and level headed to me. Thanks again everybody!
    PS - Have 60 pts. left today for 1 Italian ice as a snack later, so today was much better!

Kris
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Dont feel bad. Im already 500+ over already for today!