5K runners, I need tips!

Options
ashlinmarie
ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
I'm running my first 5K tonight and could use a few tips as I haven't actually ran 5k yet. I'm up to Week 7 Day 2 but I was dying to do this one and last minute someone said they'd cover my shift so I can go! I'm excited, but I'm nervous because I'm doing it alone and have 0 experience with races (not that I'm in it to "race" but moreso to finish and prove I can do it).

So first things first: What/when should I eat? I know for a morning race I would wait until after because I get an upset stomach and would just eat a good dinner the night before. This race is at 6:30 PM though and I was thinking of having grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies but should I get some carbs too? Also what time would probably be best?

Another thing is, I usually don't stretch much because I run in the AM when my muscles are cooled down so I do a 5 minute walk instead. Being that I have to work and stuff today, should my muscles be properly warmed up enough to get a good stretch in?

Anything else I should be mindful of or know?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    At the ones I've done they have a group warm up right before the race. Sometimes the warm ups are really fun. Don't worry about doing it on your own. Seeing everyone running around you is very motivating. Enjoy the feeling of the finish line :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You don't have to worry too much about what you eat other than making sure that it won't make you feel sick during the run. For an event of that distance you have enough glycogen stored in your muscles from your normal daily diet to fuel the whole race. I do think a little bit of carb/sugar can't hurt for a little energy burst; maybe a piece of fruit with your chicken and veggies, or some crackers or a small bowl or rice.

If it were me I'd stop eating an hour before the race or I'd feel sick during, but do whatever you think your stomach is most accustomed to.

Same with fluids. It's not such a long distance that you're in serious danger of dehydration. Definitely drink some water, but don't feel you have to overload your stomach with liters of it - you'll feel it sloshing during the race, ick. You can drink a bunch afterwards to rehydrate.

Since you haven't covered the 5K distance in training, I'd be conservative at the start of the race. Start out much slower than you think you can run. The excitement of race day nearly always entices people to speed up. Save it for the end. Start out slow slow slow, so that it feels EASY, and don't be afraid to take brief walk breaks if you need to. Then at the 2-mile mark, if you are feeling great, you can speed up. When you know you're close to the end, you'll get excited and find a little extra energy, especially if you didn't blow it by going out too fast.

You can warm up by doing a few very light jogs if you feel you must do something. You don't need to stretch.
    Since this is a longer distance than you've done, however, I'd say not to burn up any energy warming up. Take your first half mile real real slow and that will be your warmup.
  • ixap
    Options
    Just thinking again re: carbs -- are you on a low-carb diet these days? If so then you may benefit more than a non-low-carber from some extra today. I'd make sure to have at least 50g each with lunch and breakfast today, if you can.
  • ashlinmarie
    Options
    Thanks for those tips! That really helps! I feel like my body is ready to cover that distance, but I didn't have 3 miles mapped out to even try. I will definitely take it slow the first half mile or so. And no, I'm not on a low carb diet but I'll make sure to eat like normal.
  • miamia1005
    miamia1005 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have ran a lot of 5ks, they are so much fun. When I ran my first race, I wasn't able to run the whole 3.1 miles. I walked a little bit but I was able to beat the time I had gave myself. Relax and have fun. Listen to your body. Don't eat anything new. Make sure that you are drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day. Race is pretty early I would have a light snack about 1 - 1 1/2 hours before race. You don't want the full feeling while running. For morning race I usually have toast with PB and half a banana. Get there early bathroom lines are usually long. I try to go even if I don't think I need to go.

All the excitement that is going on will pump you up. Will you be running with a group? After my first race and fell in love with running. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about what / when you eat. Leave yourself a couple of hours between your last food and the start line. You don't need to worry about in-run fuel for a 5k.

You really shouldn't do stretching per se before a run anyway. Do things like standing with your hand against a wall and swinging your leg gently forwards and backwards, windmills with your arms - no static stretching. (Stretch out after.)

Most of all, just chill and enjoy it. You'll surprise yourself with what you can do, and you'll have some fun. Good luck!
  • ixap
    Options
    I'm sure you are more than ready to cover it as long as your pace is appropriate. I think most people can cover twice or more their current distance if they'd take a slow start and walk breaks as needed. You'll do great!
  • ashlinmarie
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know it is simple stuff, but I do feel better now. I don't have a lot of friends that run so no one I can really ask.

And no, miamia, I am running alone on this one. I have seen a few MFPers post that they are running it but I don't think I've friended any of them. Next Saturday I am running a local one with a friend though. I probably would have just waited to run my first next week except that I was hoping to do this one all summer and then my boss denied me the day off. Luckily one of my managers is really supportive and helped me get most of my shift covered for today.
  • GoalByFifty
    GoalByFifty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    this is an awesome post and great responses...i'm training for 5Ks later this summer and currently in c25k (week 4 starts tomorrow)....I will be referring back for this advice when it's time for me, as I'm more than likely running alone - but don't we all....no one can peddle the bike for us!!
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    I have ran a lot of 5ks, they are so much fun. When I ran my first race, I wasn't able to run the whole 3.1 miles. I walked a little bit but I was able to beat the time I had gave myself. Relax and have fun. Listen to your body. Don't eat anything new. Make sure that you are drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day. Race is pretty early I would have a light snack about 1 - 1 1/2 hours before race. You don't want the full feeling while running. For morning race I usually have toast with PB and half a banana. Get there early bathroom lines are usually long. I try to go even if I don't think I need to go.

All the excitement that is going on will pump you up. Will you be running with a group? After my first race and fell in love with running. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

She pretty much took a lot of the words out of my mouth re: food that morning and right before the race. 5k's are fun, so just enjoy being out there with other people and try not to focus so much on how many miles it is because it will feel like you are out there for a long time :) I am sure you will do great. I was so scared to do my first 5k. I did it with the gym I train with and I knew I had so much support because when I got close to the finish line, they came out and ran through with me. It was one of the best feelings ever and I have a photo keepsake of that. This is so awesome...I love to hear people get out and try new things. Running isn't that bad at all...I don't even think twice about it anymore...I just run. Good luck to you and have lots of fun!
  • lettieslosin
    Options
    I feel like your running in the 5K tonight for the Packers? Cause I'll be there running at 6:30 tonight too!! Good luck to you! Just stay hydrated and don't eat after 4:30. It's truly going to be an exciting thing for you with all the runners. I started running a bunch of 5K's this year and you have no idea how fun they are until you've completed your first one. They can get addicting!! :)
  • ashlinmarie
    Options
    I feel like your running in the 5K tonight for the Packers? Cause I'll be there running at 6:30 tonight too!! Good luck to you! Just stay hydrated and don't eat after 4:30. It's truly going to be an exciting thing for you with all the runners. I started running a bunch of 5K's this year and you have no idea how fun they are until you've completed your first one. They can get addicting!! :)

Hah! Yes I am! I know I saw a few other GB-ers on here that said they'd be running it. Just knowing I have you guys out there doing it too will help pump me up. I figured it would be a good and memorable one to have for my first race!
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm running my first one 8/11, and, just like you, I won't have finished my c25k program yet! lol Please post again when you're back from it to let us know how it went :)
  • ashlinmarie
    Options
    I just finished in 35:30! I will post pictures later but I did it with no walking! It was fantastic!
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congrats!. I usually eat about 1 1/2 before I race. Something light and small. I don't want any hunger pains while I'm jogging. Before the race begins I always stretch out my legs and walk around to warm up.. You will see people actually jogging or even running before the race to warm up..

I did my first race alone.. Just remember to STAY AT YOUR PACE!! People are going to be flying past you and you are going to try to keep up.. Don't do it..

GOOD LUCK ! ! ! And report back on how it went..
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Someone else just asked this recently, figured you could help you also.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682584-tips-for-first-5k

Good luck! My 2nd 5K is next weekend.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • ixap
    Options
    congrats, that's so awesome
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I just finished in 35:30! I will post pictures later but I did it with no walking! It was fantastic!

Congratulations :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Am so happy for you. You must be so proud !!!!!