Is it to safe to leave the crockpot on when not home?

Options
I have been thinking of putting dinner in the crockpot so when it comes times for dinner, it's ready. I am often gone throughout the day so was wondering, is it safe to leave the crockpot on when not home?

Replies

• bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, I think they're meant to be left on. I've never had a problem with leaving one on. They have safety features on them that allow for all day cooking.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I leave mine on all the time too when not home. There is nothing better than coming home after a long day of work to the smell of dinner in the air!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes. This is what they're basically designed for.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Yes. This is what they're basically designed for.

:drinker:
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone asked this, my ex always reckoned it needed topping up with water. I have one but never use it because I thought I would need to top up the liquid level occassionally. I guess I can start looking at crockpot recipes now haha.

Russ
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    never heard of a crockpot recipe that required topping up. typically you don't open it until it's done. and the liquid level tends to rise and the food you're cooking releases water.
  • Jymm
    Jymm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sure people do it all the time. It's a great way to prepare a meal. One thing you should be sure to do, make sure the crock pot is filled 2/3 to 3/4 full or the food may cook too fast and any liquid in the crockpot may boil down.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do it often and it's been perfectly fine for us. Just pop everything in just before you leave the house, and make sure you go straight home.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone asked this, my ex always reckoned it needed topping up with water. I have one but never use it because I thought I would need to top up the liquid level occassionally. I guess I can start looking at crockpot recipes now haha.

Russ

Any liquid that evaporates gathers on the lid and drips back in.
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Russ

Actually you don't lose as much liquid to evaporation as when you bake something in a traditional oven. Every time you open the lid to a crockpot you have to add 20 mins to your cooking time. When I bake a whole chicken in it I do not add a drop of water and it comes out beautifully every time.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    The only reason I have a crockpot is so that food will be ready when I get home from work.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    yes, that's what they are for!