For those older people with a desk job......

Options
I'm trying to help my mom lose weight, even though she looks pretty good for a woman about to turn 40. She generally finds success doing the Atkin's diet, however she seems to gain it back and is continuously cutting out all carbs then eating them then cutting them out again. I introduced her to MFP since I have had a lot of success counting calories so far. She tried it for a couple of weeks and then gave up. Her excuse was she was eating all day and going over her calorie goal. It was good low cal stuff like apples and rice cakes so I'm not sure how over she was.

She was trying to eat 1200 max a day. I tried to explain that you don't have to eat so few. When I started I was in the 1500 and have just lessened that as MFP sees fit. But she says that she was told that if she wanted to lose weight, she had to eat 1200 or less. She also said the reason I was doing good was because I was more active than her and because I'm younger. So she is going back to cutting all carbs. THOSE DELICIOUS CARBS!

I want to help get her off this diet roller coaster! She has very low activity level- she works an 8 hour desk job. Like I said, she is turning 40 soon- though her cake will probably say happy 27th birthday again this year lol. She's about 5'6-5'7 and I'm not sure of her current weight.

So to those people of a similar background, what is your calorie intake? Are you finding success with it?

Replies

• szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm in my mid 30's with a desk job, so I guess I'm close enough to your mom's situation, and I have done the South Beach diet in the past too, so I know how that battle with the carbs goes. For me, I package out my "snacks" for work ahead of time now (usually on Sunday, but depending on what it is maybe the day before. Example, a portion of peanut butter for my celery is getting done the night before, not 5 days before!). Then when I get up and have my coffee in the morning while I check my e-mail, I log my snacks and lunch for the day. Then I already know what I have left to use for dinner calories, or if I should plan on taking a longer run or walk for the day! It used to be drilled into our heads that women should only eat 1200 cals/day, so its hard for us "older" people to suddenly switch our way of thinking. Try getting her to read some of the forums where they explain the science behind the way calorie goals are set up on here. If you can find some that link to actual doctor studies and not just a bunch of "random" people explaining it that would probably help get her on board.
    Now, as far as you being more active than her, that could help explain why you are doing better. Can she sneak a walk in during her lunch break? I get an hour for lunch most days, and since I usually just do a protein shake and snack through out the day, I run errands, go for a walk, or sneak in a quick aerobics class then.

Congrats to you on your success so far and good luck with Mom!
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    oh, and for the record, I am 5'5", 235 lbs. I have my goals set up to loose 2 pounds a week with a sedentary lifestyle. I record my exercise and eat my calories back. I think on here it does have me at 1250 calories before exercise, and when I had it set at active lifestyle around 1450. There are days that I have gone over on calories, but I don't worry about it too much. I've been on here about a month and a half and have lost almost 12 pounds and dropped about 2 sizes :)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Tell your mom to cut the BS with the age thing. I'm 43. Using age is an EXCUSE, not a reason.

And there are plenty of people here who are older than me (some by 15 or 20 years) who have been successful.

Your mom has to find her own motivation, you can't give it to her.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but counting calories and moving your *kitten* does work, if you stick to it.
  • Badmamabear
    Options
    I'm 42 and have a desk job. I have started this back up 3 weeks ago because I started gaining weight since I had my hysterectomy, about 20 lbs. So far I have lost 3 pounds just by tracking my calories. I still eat ice cream, dark chocolate I just watch my portions, just eat enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. I exercise on my lunch, walk and I take the stairs instead of the elevator. It works if you work it! Good luck...
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Is she physically active at all? I am 40 and have a desk job too. I used work as a bs excuse to not exercise but have now started putting my health as first priority. She might be timid at first and have to try a few things before she finds what she enjoys, but please encourage her to move. She'll find she can eat more and will feel better. Good luck. I know it's hard when it's your mum:)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am 44 with a desk job. I got to goal weight in Jan '04 and have managed to keep it off.

I eat all of my cals...even exercise ones back.

I make it a point to get up from my desk on my breaks. I used to sit and peruse the internet.

I also exercise six to seven days a week originally only walking and was successful at losing that weight.

I just recently added running but that was just something I wanted to do not because for losing weight purposes.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Lets stop with the "older" people who are 40. Geez. I'm 65 and don't think of myself as old. You don't have to be old to be sedentary and there are a lot of "older" people who are more active than 20-year old "kids." Anyone who is sedentary needs to do some activity - if you have a desk job you're not necessarily sedentary either.

I had to rant - so tired of labels on people.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 with a job where I feel like I'm nearly motionless all day.

I do work out nearly every day to try to combat that inactivity.

I'm losing weight nicely eating 1890 calories every day (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat).

I don't always make it up to that many calories, but I'm usually pretty close.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Lets stop with the "older" people who are 40. Geez. I'm 65 and don't think of myself as old. You don't have to be old to be sedentary and there are a lot of "older" people who are more active than 20-year old "kids." Anyone who is sedentary needs to do some activity - if you have a desk job you're not necessarily sedentary either.

I had to rant - so tired of labels on people.

I have to agree with this. I am 61 and this was my reaction exactly when I saw the thread title and then saw that the subject was a 40 year old woman.:laugh: