Protein 85g-125g & fiber & bowel movement

Options
WillUAre
WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
Hi everyone! This is my first thread.

I follow advices here and set my macro to 40/30/30. My protein intake is around 85-125g and more on cheat/bad days.

Somewhere I read to set fiber to 30g. But it moves up when I add exercise in. So I tried to follow the fiber closely because I have constipation/hemorrhoid issues.

The last few days I have been doing BM more often like 4-6 times a day but they are not the diarrhea type and hemmorhoid is getting worse.

Am I getting too much fiber or not enough?

If you help, please do.

If you are taking in similar protein amount, can I view your diary to see the fiber goal.

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    How's your water intake? Fibers won't help with your bowel movement if you don't drink enough.
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have a medical condition. You should consult your doctor rather than the many very well meaning users here. Good luck!
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How's your water intake? Fibers won't help with your bowel movement if you don't drink enough.

This is a good question. OP, how's your water intake?
  • smueth
    smueth Posts: 2
    Options
    BMs should be 2-3 a week, not 4-6 a day. You are probably still constipated and need more fluids and maybe some assistance on clearing out and starting over. Check with your doctor
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    BMs should be 2-3 a week, not 4-6 a day. You are probably still constipated and need more fluids and maybe some assistance on clearing out and starting over. Check with your doctor

Every one is different, I would get worried and panic if I only went 2-3 times a week. To the OP drink more water or have a bowl of raisin bran before bed each night and see if that helps
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Increase your fiber slowly so your digestive system can adjust to it. Don't just start out eat 40gr of fiber right away.
    This did happen to me when I ate the orginal fiber one cereal.... I don't remember how much I ate
    at least 2 serving. Flush problem went away the next day but the hemorrhoid problem stayed for a few day.
    Don't eat fiber much for now and drink lots of water. Laxative tea also help to lose them up.
  • WillUAre
    Options
    I drink one cup of hot tea in the morning and hot water then lots of cold water for the rest of the day. I don't really measure. My guess is 64-72 oz per day.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    If you open your diary then more insight will be more accurate :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Huh?! Maybe for you, but that Is definitely not normal. OP, talk to your doctor.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Probiotics, either pills or yogurt. Your intestines need bacteria to function properly. If the balance is off then it will show with too many/too few BM.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I drink one cup of hot tea in the morning and hot water then lots of cold water for the rest of the day. I don't really measure. My guess is 64-72 oz per day.

I know it's a pain but try to track it. If 64-72 oz has always been your average without workout and before adjusting your protein and fiber, then I suggest upping it as much as you can. Protein needs more water, fiber needs more water, workout needs more water.

Also, what firedragon suggested. Your body will react better to gradual increase and adjust easier.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    If it's just for a few days, it could be that your system is adjusting to new habits (eating/exercise) or that you've eaten something that's thrown you off and that could sort itself out soon. 4-6 times a day is a lot and could be more typical of someone with irritable bowel syndrome. If it continues, it's a good idea to see a doctor -- advice to follow anytime you have major changes to your bowel movements. I think it's unlikely that you need to see a doctor if you just made some major changes in your food and water intake (opening your diary would be a big help). I sometimes have major adjustments for a few days when I switch from eating whatever I want without any thought (mostly starchy fatty foods) to lots of high fiber foods (veggies and fruits).

The probiotics suggestions is also a good one.
  • WillUAre
    Options
    Ty xarge. I followed your advice to drink more water & see an improvement. I didn't worry about water because I thought I was a water drinking queen. Apparently not. :)
    Thx again.
  • WillUAre
    Options
    Thx for the advice. I upped it and it helps.
  • WillUAre
    Options
    Oh yes, it was opened when I wrote the thread. I should of mentioned that. It is open now.
  • WillUAre
    Options
    You are right. Those were my regular intake of water before the increase of protein, fiber, & exercise. Yep, I need to increase my water intake now.
  • WillUAre
    Options
    Thanks. I just have to remind myself to drink more water.
    Oh, the diary was open and still is.