percentage of success with early morning exercise?

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm also lucky to be an early riser. The only thing is my gym doesn't open until 6am. Right now I do physical therapy exercises for a broken wrist until the gym opens.

However, if your body clock is that of a late riser don't sweat it - go with what is comfortable for you.

It IS possible to reset your body clock and become an early riser. My mom helped my dad learn how to get up in time to go to work when they first got married. What she did was refuse to wake him up and let him oversleep until he learned to set and alarm clock or change his habit of sleeping late. It can be done.
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't work out first thing in the morning chances are I won't work out! That helps to motivate me, I know I need to do it, and if I do it first thing I am done with it, and can go on with the rest of my day. Of course in the summer I love to cycle, so getting up to do my 23mile a day ride is a pure joy. Winter is when I struggle more, and I find that if I can talk someone else into going to the gym at 5:30-6 in the morning, I have better luck, I also have learned to do workouts at home like p90x, turbo fire, for the winter time! Mostly it is finding something you enjoy doing!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am so not a morning person. There was a brief period one year where I somehow got in the habit of waking up at around 5:30 or 6:00 and working out for an hour before my morning shower / etc, but then Thanksgiving / Christmas vacations came, and when I got back home, I was sleeping late again. Now, I just exercise in the evenings.
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You get up once. Then you get up twice. Then you get up again...and again. Its terrible, awful at first....but I promise you get used to it. I never EVER wanted to work out in the morning. But with two small children and a full time job, I just didnt have it in me at the end of the day. So I started gettign up in the mornings. It does help that I wake up easily. Im one of those people that once Im awake, Im awake for good. (sometimes its helpful, sometimes its a curse!)
    I get up between 4:45-5:30...depending on the type of exercise. If Im going for a run, I need less time to exercise, but more time to loosen up. I need to piddle around for a little bit before I work out...otherwise I'll end up straining my back.

Like a pp said, I put my work out clothes out the night before. I grab them as soon as my feet hit the floor and put them on. Its also nice for me to have my exercise DONE and out of the way...and I dont have to think about it for the rest of the day!

Its my lifestyle now and exercise is just as much as part of my morning routine as taking a shower/ getting dressed/eating breakfast. I know that if I stop., I'll gain weight. Thats my motivator.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I detest waking up early, making 8 a.m. for work is hard enough. I've recently started getting up at 5:45 so I can get in 20 on the elliptical every morning.

To be honest, it's not incredibly hard, but I'm not exactly coherent until about half way through. It's amazing what you can do on autopilot.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Be sure to go to sleep earlier! If I don't get at least 6 hrs of sleep then there is no way I'm going to feel ready to workout super early. For me, knowing that the morning will be the only time I can get to the gym is usually enough motivation. I hate missing out on a perfectly good chance to workout.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

The idea of getting up at 6:30am gives me the shakes. But I'm gonnal try it and see how far I can get. If it's not for me then it's not for me.

6:30? That's sleeping in for me, lol. My alarm rings at 5:05 M-F.
    Haha this!! I wake up at 4am! It's not easy, but if you want it bad enough you'll do it.
  • Wanderlost
    Wanderlost Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    They say for a runner, the hardest step is out the front door. I don't think it matters if it's Day 1 or Year 10. For me, getting into a routine has been the only way I can do it.

I know I won't go after work because I'll be physically and mentally exhausted. So, I get up, and go to the gym. No excuses. Once I'm dressed and out the door the rest is easy.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning....my alarm goes off at 4:30am, I hit the snooze once or twice and then I am up at the latest by 5am. I've been doing this for about 4 years and find it so much better than working out in the evening, so much so that I've carry it over into the weekends. I get my workout done and I still have the entire day ahead of me.

My motivation comes from a picture I have of me next to my alarm clock....the picture was taken when I was 204 lbs. I don't want to be that person ever again, so I kick my *kitten* out of the bed, rain or shine, every day by 5am (or before).
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning....my alarm goes off at 4:30am, I hit the snooze once or twice and then I am up at the latest by 5am. I've been doing this for about 4 years and find it so much better than working out in the evening, so much so that I've carry it over into the weekends. I get my workout done and I still have the entire day ahead of me.

My motivation comes from a picture I have of me next to my alarm clock....the picture was taken when I was 204 lbs. I don't want to be that person ever again, so I kick my *kitten* out of the bed, rain or shine, every day by 5am (or before).
    this is awesome :)
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bumping this thread...I'm horrible at getting in morning workouts. These are all great tips, thank you!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you want to exercise in the morning? As long as you exercise at some point in the day, who cares? I like to sleep, so I don't work out before work. I do it afterwards.

On holidays or on the weekend, I like to exercise in the morning. But I don't wake up extra early to do so. I just wake up, and then work out. I find if I have to will myself to get out of bed, then my exercise ends up being less than 100%.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options

The idea of getting up at 6:30am gives me the shakes. But I'm gonnal try it and see how far I can get. If it's not for me then it's not for me.

6:30? That's sleeping in for me, lol. My alarm rings at 5:05 M-F.

I'm walking out the door at work at 0505 hours (on a good day...lol.)
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sleep in your running clothes.

i love this suggestion! so hilarious, but it's gotta be a great motivator.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Find something that you like doing - playing on wii, yoga, whatever - and get up 10 minutes early to do that thing. Stick with it for a week or two. Decide that you would like to get up earlier to get a little bit more time in, and set the alarm another 5 or 10 minutes earlier. Keep adding in other activities, longer activities, etc. and moving the clock back a little at a time. No shock to your system, and you can enjoy yourself.
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get up at 4:20.. to go to work...... there's no way I could get up earlier than that to go for a run and then shower.. then be off to work.... noooope.... lol

THIS. Many of us don't have the luxury of 40 hour work weeks. I work 60-80 hours/week (and no, I don't get overtime. I'm a postdoctoral fellow doing cancer research. It's required and expected)

So I work out in the evenings. Make it happen whenever, however you can. The time of day does not matter. It's consistency that matters.
  • DWBayless
    DWBayless Posts: 5
    Options
    Get to bed early enough so that you wake up on your own when you want to do. As long as I am in bed no later than 10PM I wake up between 0300 and 0400. I run before the heat of the day sets in, have a shower and breakfast and still get in the office by 0700.

I can't run in the evenings. I tried it. My body just said 'no.'
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I am an early bird myself but it is still quite the battle to find your motivation. Sometimes I have to set 3 alarms to get up and do it. I do like the energy I get throughout the day from an early morning jog and you even burn more fat (if jogging on an empty stomach). But since it is summer, I also enjoy jogging in the evening between 7pm and 8pm because you don't have to worry about it warming up and there is less hustle and bustle on the streets and it feels so much more calmer outside (you also get to watch the sunset).

Try jogging in the evening and see how you like it. Exercising is beneficial no matter what time of day :)
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking about doing this and I just can't bring myself to get up early. So I'm thinking about it again. Thinking I could try to jog outside for 15 min in the morning.

Anyone have any secrets on how the hell you motivate yourself to get up early?

Just be careful with exercising before you've eaten. First thing in the morning your body won't have any sugar which is the easiest thing it can burn. The exercise should consist of low intensity walking or cycling. Anything that will raise your heart rate above 65% of your MHR will start eating into your muscle and not the fat that is available.
  • mjnov
    mjnov Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I saw on Pinterest someone posted a picture of their iPhone alarm, set for early morning, that said "If Forrest Gump can run for over 3 years, you can get your *kitten* up for a 30 minute run this morning"