Now I am REALLY confused!!!

Options
So for months I have been at a weight loss standstill. I tried upping my calories from 1200 to 1400, I tried lowering them to 1100. I tried working out 6 days a week for an hour instead of 5. I was always eating my exercise calories but NOTHING. Well this week I have been really sick so I have been just eating what I wanted (not too extreme), and the only day I worked out was Monday. Most days this week I was around 1400 calories, but the last 2 days I have eaten around 1800 calories (my maintenance). I even had Ben & Jerry's (yes I caved) ice cream and Taco Bell. Well this morning I hopped on the scale just to make sure I wasn't gaining 10 lbs and I LOST A LB!!! What??? Now I don't know what to do? I understand it could be that I was in starvation mode, but I had tried eating 1400 calories with no results. Should I try and eat more? Should I work out less?

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    So for months I have been at a weight loss standstill. I tried upping my calories from 1200 to 1400, I tried lowering them to 1100. I tried working out 6 days a week for an hour instead of 5. I was always eating my exercise calories but NOTHING. Well this week I have been really sick so I have been just eating what I wanted (not too extreme), and the only day I worked out was Monday. Most days this week I was around 1400 calories, but the last 2 days I have eaten around 1800 calories (my maintenance). I even had Ben & Jerry's (yes I caved) ice cream and Taco Bell. Well this morning I hopped on the scale just to make sure I wasn't gaining 10 lbs and I LOST A LB!!! What??? Now I don't know what to do? I understand it could be that I was in starvation mode, but I had tried eating 1400 calories with no results. Should I try and eat more? Should I work out less?
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I would love to know the answer to that myself because I have the same problem. Actually, when I started exercising frequently (5-6 days a week, high intensity) I ended up gaining weight. So I definitely understand your confusion and frustration. Although I have not found the answer yet, you're definitely not alone in your plight.:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Your one pound loss could be due to fluid loss--on any given day, our weight (especially women) can fluctuate 1-3 pounds from fluid.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You need to read the post about why women have so much trouble losing weight even while exercising like a maniac. I'll try to find it and bump it for you.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I too am having the same problem! If I am aware and vigilent and working out through out the week lately my weight keeps creeping up. But if I am not as careful as I ought to be then a pound here or therre may fall off the scale. I am really puzzled. I am eating 1650 cals daily, am eating most, but not all my exercise cals and still I am playing with the same pounds. What to do???
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes our bodies just need a break. You took a week off and your body may have readjusted. Maybe that's what you needed to get going again.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question. What we all need to remember is that every number on here or anywhere else that we get from calculations is an estimate based on averages. Your body might be different. Maybe your metabolism runs higher then normal, if that is the case, then maybe you need to add a few extra calories in to stave off starvation mode. If I were you, I would continue at this higher caloric rate for say a month, and if you continue to lose, then you found your answer. If your weight stablizes or you gain, then that isn't it. Unfortunately there is no tool that you can reliably use to measure your exact calorie burn, it's different for everyone and it's essentially a trial and error thing. I wish it were easier, but that's the facts of it.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    This article explains the exercise/ "weight gain" connection really well.

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm

I sort of "gave up" on my goal weight (decided to concentrate on body fat %) switched to maintenance calories and dropped the remaining 5 pounds.

I'm now in the process of upping my calories by about 100 per day until I start to maintain instead of lose. Everyone's different. More calories may be the right way for you.

:flowerforyou: