Why am I so freaking hungry?

Options
Mmkay, so I'm 26, female, I typically do 2-3 hours elliptical, 2-3 hours strength a week. Other than that, I walk at least 3hrs a week at a moderate pace and that's about it other than housework. I'm at a 15% cut from moderate TDEE which gives me 1900 calories a day. But I'm still freaking hungry. I stay between macros of 50/25/25 and 40/30/30, pretty much always over my protein goal.
I'm not sleeping well, maybe it's that? It's not faux hunger either, it's proper pangs. I'm drinking like crazy to curb the buggering things.

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Really? Nobody?
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, 15% cut from TDEE, starving all. the. time. I'm trying to teach myself to just be okay with the hunger. It won't kill me, eventually my body will accept that we aren't eating at TDEE anymore although when I ate at TDEE I was STILL starving. Its like the more I eat, the hungrier I get over time. So it must work in reverse, right? lol....sigh....I have no idea.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    How many meals do you eat per day?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you do not get enough sleep, your body will increase your hunger. I know if I don't get enough sleep, I am hungry throughout the day. Definitely work on getting however many hours you need a day of sleep. Best way to find out is to not set your alarm, and just go to bed and wake up, and note the time difference.

You will also benefit from eating foods that will help satiate you. Since you are getting plenty of protein, I would suggest making more of your carb choices as fibers. Celery and broccoli are good sources.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating? Even though you may be eating all of your calories for the day, they may not be the kind that "stick to your ribs", if you get what I mean. Cut out anything that has bleached/refined grains, like white bread or white rice, and switch over to strictly whole grain breads and brown rice. Try it for a week and see if it makes a difference in your hunger. And definitely get more sleep!
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    Lack of sleep will increase cortisol production, which will increase hunger and promote fat storage. Also, you mentioned at least 7 hours of "formal" exercise, if I understood correctly, in addition to housework and other daily activities. It sounds as though you may fall into the strenuous category. How is your body responding to your intake, in addition to being hungry? Losing weight/inches?
  • vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    lack of sleep, pms-ing, pregnancy, or you've been burning more calories than usual
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fiber? Also, how do you distribute your calories? I find that if I eat more in the morning (which ihas been a big change to how I used to eat), a decent lunch, and smaller dinner, then I'm not starving all night long. Also eating every three hours helps.
  • invisibubble
    Options
    Meals, three. Snacks, 3-4. Usually.
    I eat a lot of:
    Chicken
    Tuna and other lean fish
    Wholemeal bread (if I eat bread at all)
    Whey powder
    Oatmeal
    Berries
    0% Greek yogurt
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Wholewheat pasta
    Venison
    Lean beef/pork

I do eat crappy food as well, I'm not a saint by any means, but I try to be smart. I drink sugarless squash and water, and green tea. Occasionally a diet soda.

I bake quite a lot (protein rich versions of stuff) watch my sugars and try to eat a varied diet. My fibre is usually close to 25g a day, but I admit I'm as much as 20g under some weeks, although recently I'm minding that a bit more.

Hmmm, some of you've given me some stuff to consider. Thank you.
  • invisibubble
    Options
    Hmm, about sleep: I tend not to set my alarm but my sleep patterns are absolutely horrendous. I go through cyclic 3 hours, then the normal 6-8, then sometimes 10-12. It all depends on my idiot brain issues.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    More than likely, given how much exercise you do, that you simply are not eating enough to fuel it.
    I am maintaining at 126 Ibs, and I do about an hour exercise a day as well as walking and housework and my hrm and fitbit gives me between 2500 and 2800 per day to eat. So if you are heavier than myself, I imagine you are not eating enough, even when trying to lose weight. I would try upping by a few hundred calories, with something filling and protein based.
  • invisibubble
    Options
    More than likely, given how much exercise you do, that you simply are not eating enough to fuel it.
    I am maintaining at 126 Ibs, and I do about an hour exercise a day as well as walking and housework and my hrm and fitbit gives me between 2500 and 2800 per day to eat. So if you are heavier than myself, I imagine you are not eating enough, even when trying to lose weight. I would try upping by a few hundred calories, with something filling and protein based.
    Bloody hell, really? What exercising are you doing?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. All I have to say is.... I lost more easily and quickly not exercising last year than any other time I've worked out like crazy.

I also saw a doctor on the dr. oz show who is a pretty cynical guy who dispells dieting myths. He said that working out does help a person who has lost weight maintain the weightloss..but it doesn't make people lose more weight as they diet. In his studies he found it make them more hungry and it was harder for them to not overeat.

I say..you're exercising too much.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising that much, MOAR FOOD. :)

ETA: I think I may have read your OP wrong, but even then I still suggest eating more. :) If you're hungry, EAT, EAT, EAT. Your body knows what it's doing, knows what it wants.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Try brown rice and quinoa
  • UnRemarkableMe
    UnRemarkableMe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and I think I kinda understand what the issue is, I have it too. In my case I can have some really intense workouts and and have been known to burn 2000 calories in a single session. After the workout I am insatiably hungry. There have been some cases where I eat off all of the benefits of the workout. In my case I had to learn that moderation is the key. When I have 30 - 40 minute workouts I am not as hungry after. I think my body was just trying to refuel from the extreme calorie burn. The other thing that I found is that I have to eat about 300 calories before I workout so that I am not STAAAARRRRVVVIINNNGG post workout. My last tip is that I drink a measured cup of Chocolate Almond Milk right after the workout and for some reason it curbs my hunger.

I figure you have a heart Rate Monitor but if you don't find that Ideal burn that does not make you want to eat a Brontosaurus burger after and you'll be fine. Remember the goal is to be under you caloric goal everyday so if you are only looking at 300 calories over you should only be looking to workout at least 300 cals. That's my thought and its enabled me to Lose 100 pounds lol
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    This helped me, it might help you too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o

Good Luck...
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I think I have the opposite problem. I am never hungry. I eat lots of fiber and protein. My usual drinks are water and mint green tea. Fresh vegetables and fruit are a must too. When I do get hungry I will eat a handful of almonds. I barely get to 1200 calories of food. When I exercise I cannot eat the calories back. I wish you luck.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Hi invisibubble ;-) reading through your profile (hope you don`t mind) you have really contended with a lot of issues, well done you!

I can`t see your diary, but you have obviously got down to a fab weight already and lost so much weight. so you don`t need me poking at it lol!

Maybe, try to go for maintenance for a month or even a couple of weeks to give yourself time to adjust. You are going to have to maintain at some point? Eat some extra cals for maintenance stage and then go back to trying again?

Even, dare I say (from someone who is protein heavy also) try mixing it up and throwing in a couple of heavy carb days and then move back to your regular food?
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Your problem could be stomach acid. A build up of stomach acid causes that gnawing feeling in your stomach plus it triggers chemical signals to the brain to eat and balance out the acid.

I have no medical research to back this up. This is my own theory that I’ve been testing out on myself. I take an acid reducer and avoid most acidic foods such as tomatoes, citrus fruits, sodas and drink mixes such as Crystal Light. This had done wonders for my physical hunger…still working on the emotional hunger. :)