Should i stop calorie counting?

Options
virichi08
virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
I'm stuck, i've looked at so many websites to see if the numbers compare on how many calories i shud consume a day. Most of my meal preparation times consists of me wondering should i eat this or not, then i wake up n the middle of the night staaarving, feeling a bit cranky and sick! i was wondering if you all thnk it would be a good idea to stop the calorie counting and continue my clean eating.... help please?

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much "clean" (whatever your definition of clean is) food you won't lose weight. Instead of consulting a bunch of websites with conflicting numbers, how about giving MFP's recommendations a try for a month or two and seeing how that works for you? There's nothing that says you can't eat whole, natural foods and still count your calories.

It sounds like you're over thinking and complicating things for yourself, and stressing yourself out over it. That's just a guess based on very little information, so I could be completely wrong about that.

But, if it's the actual counting and tracking that's causing you problems, then all I can say is that it does get easier over time as you get used to doing it. After seven months, I find that calorie counting actually takes up very little time or effort.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sure, give it a try. I'd say go at least a month making what you consider good food choices, and see what the results are. Calorie counting certainly isn't the be all end all.
  • virichi08
    Options
    NO, your guess is correct. I have been over thnkning it. Im just SOOOO anxious to drop some more weight im driving myself craaazy over it. But, Thanks. I will continue giving this a fair try. =)
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    For the first few weeks, I logged no matter how many calories the meal was.
    Now I have a better grasp what I should and shouldn't eat every day.
    Though it is annoying when you're out to dinner and they don't have the calorie count so you have to guesstimate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    You need to accurately track all your food and drinks for a couple months until you are confident you know how much you are actually eating. Use measuring cups and a food scale. It's the only way to know for sure.

Use the Myfitnesspal recommendations for a month. Track all your food and drinks, drink lots of water, get moderate exercise at least five days a week. Get 7-9 hours of sleep.

At the end of the month, reevaluate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Also, change your birthdate in the system, it affects how many calories you should be eating.

To do this, go to: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

(MY HOME> Settings> Update diet/fitness profile)
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    NO, your guess is correct. I have been over thnkning it. Im just SOOOO anxious to drop some more weight im driving myself craaazy over it. But, Thanks. I will continue giving this a fair try. =)

I feel the same way sometimes. However, it doesn't hurt to give yourself some room to breathe.

The way I see it, if I'm hungry one day, like *really* hungry, I consume more than I'm supposed to. Then, the next day, I just stay a bit under my calories.

I think that fat 2 fit radio and/or freedieting have the best calorie need calcs. Fat 2 fit gives you a larger number (at least for me) for a more steady/gradual weightloss and freedieting gives you different options for how fast you want to lose weight.

Like others have said, don't stop counting calories. Even clean foods can be overeaten.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Try it for a bit and see what happens. I used to plan out my meals and snacks for the entire week on here. At the beginning, trying to fit in everything within my calorie allowance drove me mad. Eventually I got used to it. Sometimes I'd "cheat" and tell myself it was ok to go over my calorie allowance one day because I was being "good" on other days. About 3 months ago my weight loss stalled. I kept losing the same 2-3 pounds and it was beyond frustrating. Then about 3 weeks ago I became really busy with work and life in general. I started going to the gym more often (I usually go 5 days per week, but had been slacking) and unconsciously stopped counting calories. Sometimes I'd log what I had eaten throughout the day and sometimes I didn't. But, and here's the huge but...I was making healthy choices. After being on here for a year, I knew what I could and couldn't eat throughout the day. I was no longer day dreaming about filling my calorie allowance. Instead, I was eating what I wanted and when I wanted, but it was always (or more often than not) healthy. I probably couldn't have done this a year ago, but for some reason it has worked and I have dropped 5 pounds. So...try it and see if it works for you.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    I had great success when I wasn't counting calories. I just ate really sensibly, cut out sweet things (except fruit) and any other junk. I limited my alcohol intake but still had a drink every day. I exercised vigorously 30-40 mins a day. At the weekends I cut myself some slack and allowed myself pizza, chips etc. but I thought about everything that went into my stomach! I lost 12k this way (I think that's about 25 pounds) which was about a 5th of my body weight.

I now know I need to exercise (and eat/drink sensibly) in order to keep the weight off. Calorie counting is not very helpful for me. That's because of my own particular lifestyle; it won't suit everyone. So give it a go and see what you discover. If it works, see if it lasts.
    Jane
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I agree with giving MFP a try. I am currently not recording my foods on it, but I remember when I did and how much I did lose with. However, it's been hard to record since I moved home from college because my family cooks or I go eat out with my boyfriend. Instead, I have been trying to record what I eat in terms of notes versus calories.
  • elly85
    elly85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's good to not count calories. For example, I go half the week without counting. Mostly because I feel like it can get obsessive and starts overtaking everything in my head. Not counting is a good way to train yourself to eye portions and just make good choices without having to be so dependent on numbers.
  • virichi08
    Options
    Also, change your birthdate in the system, it affects how many calories you should be eating.

THANKS A MILLION, had no idea how to chnage that!
  • virichi08
    Options

THANKS A MILLION, had no idea how to chnage that!

Now i feel more SPECIAL because im always in and out of that setting! lol. my brithday isnt even in JULY! lol
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I like to use calorie counting when I have specific goals such as building muscle, but the truth is it can't just be about counting calories. It is about the kind of food you are eating and is it nutrient dense. The problem with calorie counting is a lot of the time we are not giving the body what it truly needs. That is why I like the concept of clean eating. With that said, I always recommend to people that they calorie count in the beginning so they can't at least to get use to portion sizes.
  • bern929
    bern929 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am new, how do you get recommendations for what foods to eat?
  • bern929
    bern929 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am new and would love to hear the kinds of foods you have been eating.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't track calories specifically I'd still log.

This way you can be mindful about what you are consuming and you can see the effects of any changes that you make.

I was really surprised at how much mindless snacking adds up.

I'd also track measurements, something I didn't do and regret, I suspect these would be more informative than just a number on a scale.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    For those who want food recommendations you will get a whole variety of responses as people respond differently, boring answer but true.

Some tolerate dairy, some not. Some will lose eating Pop Tarts ;), some not.

Some are young and their metabolisms can tolerate more, some are relative old fogies who need a bit of metabolic help.

Some just think that a 'balanced' diet and everything in moderation is the thing, some blow up like balloons when they follow the Food Pyramid guidelines ;)

For me avoiding processed food, sugar, grains(i.e. all bread, pasta, rice, corn, etc) and legumes is the way forward.

Having started MFP on the low fat thing I just know this to be the case, the data and the results ain't lying. And it has precious little to do with calories. I track to make sure I'm getting enough, not to restrict myself.

For some they will be satisfied with progress eating more carbohydrate, pizza, coke and whatever than me if they just restrict the calories, hence the fun process of tracking and tinkering with the macros. And it can be fun :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't track calories specifically I'd still log.

This way you can be mindful about what you are consuming and you can see the effects of any changes that you make.

I was really surprised at how much mindless snacking adds up.

I'd also track measurements, something I didn't do and regret, I suspect these would be more informative than just a number on a scale.

This.

I noticed that you only joined in July 2012. Spend a few weeks eating "clean" but also track what you are eating on here. The hardest part for me in the beginning was figuring out what and how much of something my body needed. Even when I tried to eat what I thought was healthy, I was going way over in calories because I was eating too much of basically everything.