Kids really?! Now?!

Options
Tony_Brewski
Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
Ok parents.... has anyone figured this out...

We sit down and do NOTHING I mean litterally not a damn thing and our kids leave us along. Wouldn't pay us attention if we paid them.

The second we turn on the TV for the nightly news, sit at the computer, open our check books to balance, answer the phone or head to the bathroom... we suddenly hear.

Dad! Dad! Dad! Dad! or Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom!

I always ask my kids, "Why do you only want my attention when I am doing something?" They look at me like have an arm growing out of my face. I reply with, "When you are doing something I let you be so you can enjoy it." Normally I hear, "I know and I thank you"

WTF?!

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    it is what it is. just goes with the territory. happens to me all the time.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    It's not just kids. Trust me on this.

At work we have this thing about 'they know'. We can have absolutely nothing to do and not a soul will walk through the door. We have a ton of crap to catch up on and everybody and their brother will come in
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Every single time I turn on Sex & the City.........

"OLIVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"But, BUT.... you were just playing with your dinosaurs in your bedroom not watching Olivia for 45 damn minutes! Fine..... here's Olivia."
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    Every single time I turn on Sex & the City.........

"OLIVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"But, BUT.... you were just playing with your dinosaurs in your bedroom not watching Olivia for 45 damn minutes! Fine..... here's Olivia."

I hear that!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    It got to the point where I'd turn on How It's Made or something like that just to bore my kids, now they ask for it. O_o
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    It got to the point where I'd turn on How It's Made or something like that just to bore my kids, now they ask for it. O_o

My kids love 'How it's Made'! And 'Mythbusters' and 'Bones', I think we have watched every episode!
  • mzkfigs
    mzkfigs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite is when you go to the bathroom and they immediately run to the door too...
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Right!? Mine were all quiet last evening so I thought..., I'll just step out for a minute and call my best friend. Not two seconds later one was in bed with me jumping around. The other came in and tackled her. Full on wrestling match ensued. Then they wanted to talk to him to. Ok fine. Talk a few minutes and let me have him back. That worked for a few minutes. I finally gave up and we just texted a while. Much easier!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My favorite is when you go to the bathroom and they immediately run to the door too...
    This.

The luxury of being able to use the bathroom alone!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

This. I just yell, "There's not a DAMNED DOOR TO NARNIA IN HERE. I'll be out in a minute! Leave me be!!!"
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You did it to your parents, your kids do it to you, and one day their kids will do it to them. And you can show your kids no sympathy when they ask you why their kids never bother them unless they are doing something.

It's the circle of life.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Its your fault for not using online banking. Who balances checkbooks anymore? Lol :tongue:
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options

every damn time. like we are gonna be transported somewhere else when we walk through the bathroom door. no, i just want a couple of minutes to pee in peace!
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    My kids are smaller 3 and almost 2. My kids don't know the meaning of personal space at all! lol I have learned to NEVER watch a movie that I really want to see when my kids are around b/c when the good part starts happening all hell breaks loose in the house! The joy of kids........
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Its your fault for not using online banking. Who balances checkbooks anymore? Lol :tongue:

Agreed! I find it easier to use a program like YNAB to balance the checkbook instead of the paper way. Plus you get rid of the whole paper trail and save trees. Whatever you do don't stop balancing though!!
  • HeatherNicoleMomOf4
    Options

i know this .I have 4 kids ages 6,3,2 yr olds and a 6 month old. I can never go to the bathroom in peace, and if for once the kids dnt follow me in there the cats do
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Single Dad...with sole custody of a 14, 6, and 5yr old.

Trust me man...I feel your pain.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Apparently I can't cook dinner without a 20 month old climbing my legs.
  • AnnMarie518
    Options

I have to chuckle at this...your right, alot of people dont balance their own checkbooks anymore...but I think thats because alot of the younger generation (not saying you, just making a generalization is all) dont know HOW to balance a checkbook. Goes right along with the 18 year old cashier at the store who rings you up, tells you your total is 15.25, you give them 20.25 and they stare at you confused.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Not dealing with this is one of the upsides of a no kid lifestyle. :smile: