Mercury Poisoning?

Options
I eat one can of tuna fish everyday. I love the taste, how easy it is to prepare and how it provides me with great protein and omega-3's.

However, I was recently told that I would get mercury poisoning if I eat it everyday. Is this true? I would eat other sources of animal protein but I really don't like eating chicken, beef or pork :/

Any advice or knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, here is an actual tuna calculator.
    http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    Oh wow! Thank you so much, this is perfect.
    According to FDA health standards, I should only eat 2 and a third cans of light tuna a week... and I'm eating 7 haha, guess that answers my question. Whoops

Thanks for the help!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the link. :smile:
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Maybe you can mix it up. I recently discovered the world of other canned fish like sardines and herring. These are also cheap sources of protein, calcium and omega3 fatty acids. No, they aren't pretty. In fact, they look aweful, but the flavor is pretty good and it's so easy to through a tin in my lunch bag. I really enjoy the ones with a smokey flavor.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I love tuna as well, if it weren't for out habits to pollute the world in a non repairable way, I would eat much more but I don't want to bleed out of my ears with a crashed nervous system. Can that happen, depends on how much mercury I accumulate over time and very unlikely. Do I want to take the risk? I doubt it.

I should get a farm and feed my own chicken -.-
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I love tuna as much as i love oxygen. I have switched at least some of that true love to salmon, however, which has become my staple protein. It's buttery and delicious, healthy, sustainable, economical, and the mercury levels are far lower.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    im more concerned with soap poisoning.

4175759716_194dba6d62.jpg
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can mix it up. I recently discovered the world of other canned fish like sardines and herring. These are also cheap sources of protein, calcium and omega3 fatty acids. No, they aren't pretty. In fact, they look aweful, but the flavor is pretty good and it's so easy to through a tin in my lunch bag. I really enjoy the ones with a smokey flavor.

this^ !

smaller fish are less contaminated and better for the environment. They taste delicious too. If you find them too ugly looking, you can pay a little extra and get the skinned/boned ones. You will not get as much calcium but it is a good way to get used to them.
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i have a friend 9 a real person I see a lot) who DID get mercury poisoning from eating 1 can of tuna everyday for 20 years. BE CAREFUL. He got really sick and weak. tuna just isn't worth it.
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice! Definitely going to switch it up
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here's an awesome wallet card that covers mercury levels in tuna, as well as other fish :)http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/walletcard.PDF
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    Thank you! This is so helpful!
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    Here's an awesome wallet card that covers mercury levels in tuna, as well as other fish :)http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/walletcard.PDF
    Thank you! This is so helpful!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Light tuna (Skipjack, Tongol, Yellowfin) is considered Low Mercury. The recommended daily serving (75g) for children is 2 a WEEK, women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, could become pregnany (including teenage girls) is 4 a WEEK, men, teenage boys and women 50+ can eat unlimited servings

White tuna is Medium Mercury. The recommended daily serving for children is 1-2 a MONTH, most women 2-4 a MONTH, men, teenage boys and women 50+ 4 servings a WEEK.

Tuna Steak is High Mercury. For children and most women less than 1 serving a MONTH, for men, teenage boys and women 50+ no more than 1 serving a WEEK.

This information is from a brochure I have from Toronto Public Health. Other organizations will have different recommendations.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    P.S. If people are interested in eating fish in a more sustainable way go to www.seachoice.org to find out how different fish are caught & the impact on the environment

More Eco Unfriendly fish include: atlantic cod, salmon, flounder, flounder, scallops, haddock, shrimp/prawns, atlantic halibut, grouper, bluefin tuna steak, red snapper, orange roughy, sea bass, shark, swordfish