RUN!

Options
So, I want to start running outside.

I'm super stoked, BUT I want a proper running app to assist me and give me the proper stats.

Any suggestions? (:

Replies

• hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    free one couch to 5k...
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    free one couch to 5k...
    I've heard of something like that? I thought it was a program?
  • bobnstuf
    bobnstuf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper on my Android phone. It's available for iPhones too
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you just starting out running, or you have been running on a treadmill and are just moving outside?

If you're new to running, I would also recommend c25k. You can find overviews of the program online, and there are a bunch of apps for smartphones and iPods that you can download that take you through the program, giving you prompts for when to walk, run, etc. I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs and it worked great. You can also play your music through the app during the program.

A great app for tracking your runs is Runkeeper. Maps your route, you can go online and pre-plan and save routes, add playlists, it gives you your pace, time and distance during the run, etc.
  • jandalsah
    jandalsah Posts: 4
    Options
    Endomondo is really good
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    i swear by the c25k app made by bluefin for the iPhone.
  • sarah7989
    sarah7989 Posts: 6
    Options
    the basic nike run app for iphone is tried and tested (and free) x
  • KristinWill1023
    KristinWill1023 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k for sure!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'd try runkeeper, endomondo and mapmyrun, and see which one you like best. All great apps.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Map My Run! i LOVE it
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to download a ton and go through trial error :3

I have been on a treadmill for awhile but only brisk walking, but i use to able to run. Keyword= used too. I was like 40 pounds lighter. Haha, but I am moving outside and live in AZ so it's like 90 at best outside. So I want to be safe about running too and not die from heat stroke haha

DEFINITIVELY going to get c25k. (:
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    c25k
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I am going to say the same as several others - couch to 5k (or C25K) - an EXCELLENT programme that got me running for 5km when I struggled to run for even 1 minute at the beginning. There are lots of free downloads. (I'm British so used the one on the NHS website - you get a lady with a British accent then!) Google couch to 5k (or C25K) and you will find something that fits for you. You really won't regret it!
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Run meter is AMAZING!! It allows you to save routes and will tell you if you are running your best, average, below average, or slowest times. I have mine programmed to announce my mile times. I have mine to also email my husband when I start my run and when I finish. It includes a map. I LOVE this feature for safety purposes. It will tell you the calories you burn and take elevation into consideration. It also will keep track of how many miles you've run for today, yesterday, this week, last week, this month, last month, this year and last year.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have invested in a Garmin Forerunner 305 and I use 'mapmyrun.com' - (actually I use mapmyfitness.com) and I use it on my device - personally I download it from the GPS unit and analyze it on my computer . I have had no issues with mammyrun.

I saw Endomondo - I have been following a guy running around the world and one of his sponsors was Endomondo. However, even while running in North America, he has had lots of issues with it.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Map My Run! i LOVE it

^^Love MapMyRun!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike + app on the I phone has a voice prompt to give me my times and pace for the 1//2 miles and has my mile splits at the end so I can see how I ddi per mile and has a graphic overlay on a map using colors to show slower and faster pace on the map
    I have map my run and have used that plus a few others but the Nike with the last updates is my current favorite
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    For a FUN running app, try "Zombies, Run!". You're part of a post-apocalyptic zombie story between songs and get chased by zombies during your songs. It also keeps GPS running stats. Extra fun if you run in the dark!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Map My Run! i LOVE it

^^Love MapMyRun!

It has a 3D feature that does a flyover of your route! Very cool!
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    I'm a beginner in running (only been doing it for 3 weeks) and am using the couch to 5k app. I really like it.