Cutting bad sugar and bad carbs - Anyone else?

Options
TheFitHooker
TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
So yesterday was my first day to really cut out all bad sugar and bad carbs, no rice, no bread, no chocolate things like this. Today is day 2 and so far so good. I'm just curious if anyone else is doing this and if someone who has done this or is doing it, has been doing it for awhile, what are the benefits? I have also taken out all sweeteners. I did something I thought I'd never do, drink coffee with no sugar or sweetener and its not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Replies

• musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This is what I do and it has done wonders for me. I only eat natural sugar and most of the time I use things like stevia. I also cut out all simple carbs. I still take in a lot carbs though...it't just the right kind :)
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm not cutting carbs, but wanted to comment on your coffee - I've been doing mine unsweetened too, not because of sugar, but because I always used NutraSweet and am trying to reduce my chemical consumption. Anyway, try putting a bit of cinnamon in the filter basket with your coffee grounds - it helps give a bit of a sweet flavor.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I eat whole wheats and grains. Sugars are from veggies and fruits mostly.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea!

I'm not cutting or considering a low carb diet by any means I do know how important the right carbs are for you. I'm jut taking out the bad ones that fill me up fast and make me hungry a lot sooner then say if I ate something with more protein in it.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I admit I won't be very good at the cutting of bad carbs on the premise of my coffee, alone. Other than that, I don't go over on sugar too bad most days. Some days I'm actually under! I will keep working on swapping my carbs, but it will be a slow learning process on my part.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As of September of this year, it'll be 2 years since I've eaten any sugar and I've only eaten healthy carbs (ex. brown rice, yeast free millet bread etc). I stopped with sugar and carbs because I have serious food allergies. And when I say I cut sugar from my diet...I mean TOTALLY cut it out. The ONLY type of sweetener I use now is stevia or xylitol.

It's totally worth it! I'm a better person now because of cutting so much out of my diet.
  • guardgirl512
    Options
    Yeah I am doing this and I lost 4.3 pounds in 2 weeks while utilizing diet and exercise on a 1200 cals a day lifestyle. :)
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I typically do low carb. When in weight loss mode (which I will be returning too when I get back from vacation), I do not eat bread, rice, pasta, crackers, etc. Monday -Friday. My calories are broken down to 30/25/45 (carbs/fat/protein). Weekends I try to hold the line on the macros but allow whole grain breads, pasta, crackers (the "weekend" starts at noon on Friday and ends at 6pm on Sunday) no more than 1 a day. I have followed this plan for the most part for over a year adjusting my macros for maintenance to 35/25/40. It's not easy but it is doable. The key is planning. I log what I plan to eat for Monday - Friday and adjust as needed. I find that carbs, for me, result in weight gain and bloat. It's not a plan for everyone but it works for me!
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting out as much sugar as I can (aside from fruit that is) and trying to keep quite low on carbs too, except on Saturday mornings when I go out for breakfast and splurge a little on sourdough toast. :)

Since April I've lost just under twenty pounds doing mostly just this and a bit of hiking.

Besides the extra pounds gone, I have seen the excema and psoriasis on my hands disappear. I've noticed my skin clearing before, on other occasions when I've cut out sugar too.
  • lazal
    lazal Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to follow low-carb quite a bit, but since I row, and have been for a while, I've not been to strict with it. When I was super-strict with it, the benefits I found were that the spare tyre around my mid-section tended to experience the first hit of shrinkage.

Now, although I'm not as strict as I was, I do tend to try and steer clear of sugar, wheat products (bread, pasta, biscuits, cakes, you get the idea), sugary fruit (so I'm mainly eating apples, berries, apricots, but I do have the odd banana, usually after training) and anything that has had sugar added to it in a big way (e.g. fruit yogurts). I will eat oatmeal for breakfast, have nothing against rice, although I typically eat very little - say around 1-2 heaped tbsps, I've never been a big rice eater, and will eat potatoes, provided that they're anything but fried (they're far to easy to gobble down in fries format).

With this in mind, I'm probably consuming around 100-150g carbs/day, which I find helps to balance low blood sugar crashes I occasionally have, it also doesn't have that noticeable an impact on my training, and I still feel virtuous of sorts...