Crock Pot!

Options
zoegator
zoegator Posts: 165 Member
Alright! The title says it! I'm a super busy college student and I love eating a warm cooked meal for dinner every night and I KNOW you guys have some wonderful crock pot recipes up your sleeve, I'm just asking for you to share them with me!

If possible, I can't really eat red meat, but ground turkey can usually be replaced for ground beef. Basically, I'm looking for turkey/chicken recipes.

Me, my picky stomach, and my busy schedule all thank you for your recommendations! :)

Replies

• dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Have a look here for inspiration...

http://www.slowcookerrecipes.org.uk/

Hope there's something there for you

Dom
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    Do you like spicy? I love this chinese chicken. Feeds me and my hubby with leftovers for next day :)

2 x Chicken Breast
    1 x Chicken Stock Cube
    1 tsp Chilli Powder (dependent on how hot you like it)
    1 tsp Ground Ginger
    1 cup slice buttom mushrooms
    Enough water to cover chicken

Place those in crock pot on low for 6 hours, then shred chicken, then add 2 handfuls bok choy or spinach and 1 cup rice put on high until rice is cooked (approx 1 hour)

Serve :)

Yummy!!
  • ChassityDawn
    Options
    Add 1 lb of chicken (mine is always frozen) and 1-2 packs of taco seasoning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Meat will shred easily.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    First off, ground meat shouldn't really be cooked from raw in a crock pot. It does not heat up fast enough to prevent bacteria. Only use whole meats.

I use chicken. You can throw them in thawed or frozen. I either throw in a jar of salsa or just put them in plain. Don't add any water. Meats will produce their own juices. If I put them in plain I usually drain and add a bit of water with taco seasoning and cook for about an hour longer. That will give me meat for tacos, enchiladas, tostadas, wraps, salads. I also use the salsa for all those too.

If I don't want to go with "Mexican" themed meat I will drain out the juices and add a can of cream of something soup and cook about an hour till hot again. That is a great topping for potatoes or steam veggies.

Edit: I do use ground beef/turkey/chicken in crockpot. I brown it first then throw it in chilis, stuffed peppers, etc. I just don't recommend putting in raw. Check interwebs for more information on that and other items you shouldn't put in crockpot (red beans).

Turkey and chicken I often just sprinkle all over with rosemary and garlic and cook all day. Makes it so tasty for sammiches.
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    This is my favorite! It kind of tastes like the flavors of rotisserie chicken but has a lot less salt.

--chicken (you can use any kind of chicken...even a whole one, boneless or bone in, white or dark meat)

I mixed up several batches of this spice mix and put it in a container in with my spices. I just sprinkle both sides of my chicken with it. Having it premixed makes for a really easy crock pot meal. If you use the whole recipe of the spices, you should probably use 4lbs or so of chicken or the flavor might be overpowering.

--2 tsp kosher salt (if you'd like it as salty as the ones in the store, add another 1 tsp.)
    --1 tsp paprika
    --1 tsp onion powder
    --1/2 tsp dried thyme
    --1 tsp Italian seasoning
    --1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    --1/2 tsp black pepper
    --pinch of chili pepper (probably not necessary)

Coat the chicken with the spices. DO NOT ADD WATER. Cook 3-4 hours on low or 6-8 hours on high. It is YUMMY!
  • Theresastratton
    Options
    bump
  • ambisweet
    ambisweet Posts: 25
    Options
    I like to make beef stew, you can substitute chicken if you want!

1-2 Chicken Breast, boneless and cube it! (I use the cubed beef you can buy at walmart)
    Carrots (I love using the baby carrots or you can slice them up or use canned)
    Chopped onion
    Chopped bell pepper (totally fine to use frozen chopped peppers and onions)
    Beef stew seasoning (or just salt, pepper or which ever seasonings you want)
    Turn on low and let cook all day.
  • misspinkshorts
    misspinkshorts Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have any crock pot recipes to share, but I wanted to say thanks to those of you who are. I am also a college student living on my own trying to come up with some creative, healthy things to cook. I'll have to try some of these! Thanks!
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • spost27
    spost27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's almost 300 recipe links on this site. I found it really helpful

http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2011/08/crockpotalooza.html
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I cook ck breast tenders in a crockpot (on low about 6 hrs) with just a little chicken broth til cooked then shred & mix with whatever I am in the mood for BBQ sauce(for pulled ck sandwiches or salsa foe ck tacos/ or just shed it & throw in w/ cheese on tortilla to make quesadillas . I have really picky kids that why I cook it plain & add the flavors after
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who's shared recipes with me!! They sound wonderful and I can't wait to try them!

I've read up about what can and cannot go into a crock pot, and I was sort of referring to pre-cooked ground meat into the crock pot, but thanks for looking out. :)