NUTRITION ADVICE FOR A SWIMTEAM SWIMMER

Options
beep
beep Posts: 1,242 Member
This is such an awesome community, and so full of "fitness gurus", of which I am definitely NOT, I would like to ask your nutrition advice for my son. Actually I have two swimteamers, but my 13-year old son is a very motivated, going for the gold, swimmer.

He has not totally gone through puberty yet, I suspect because of the lack of body fat (0). What to feed him on swimteam days. The schedule is grueling and they are there all day. His best stroke is butterfly, and then back stroke, and he competes in the IM.

As a family, years ago when I started having these wonderful little ones, I changed our eating habits so they would be used to it; so we already eat complex carbs, no white bread (only when they can sneak it) except for the occasional hotdog and burger (I like ww buns, but they do not); plenty of fruit, fresh veges and lean meats. No casseroles. Those are our eating habits.

So, what to feed a swimmer before and during meets...... He absolutely will not eat candy or donuts during meets and frequently oversees the rest of the kids in his team to make sure they're not eating candy because of the drop off in energy..

Thanks! (sorry, don't know why this ended up as a dual post...)

Replies

• beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This is such an awesome community, and so full of "fitness gurus", of which I am definitely NOT, I would like to ask your nutrition advice for my son. Actually I have two swimteamers, but my 13-year old son is a very motivated, going for the gold, swimmer.

He has not totally gone through puberty yet, I suspect because of the lack of body fat (0). What to feed him on swimteam days. The schedule is grueling and they are there all day. His best stroke is butterfly, and then back stroke, and he competes in the IM.

As a family, years ago when I started having these wonderful little ones, I changed our eating habits so they would be used to it; so we already eat complex carbs, no white bread (only when they can sneak it) except for the occasional hotdog and burger (I like ww buns, but they do not); plenty of fruit, fresh veges and lean meats. No casseroles. Those are our eating habits.

So, what to feed a swimmer before and during meets...... He absolutely will not eat candy or donuts during meets and frequently oversees the rest of the kids in his team to make sure they're not eating candy because of the drop off in energy..

Thanks! (sorry, don't know why this ended up as a dual post...)