Low carb, low sodium!

Options
Anyone have any low carb meals/snack ideas? Something low sodium aswell, as I find low carb options tend to be high in sodium (lunch meats, pickles etc) I'm aiming for under 100g carbs a day and under 2,500mg sodium.

Replies

• ThatGrl32
    ThatGrl32 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am also low carb, low sodium and I pretty much stick to raw fruits/vegetables, nuts and small amounts of cheese. When I cook, I use only spices and sometimes a bit of nu-salt. Processed food is the biggest contributor of sodium so if you cut that where you can, it will be easier to stay under 2500.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :) I tend to not eat a lot of veggies because they don't seem to keep my full :(
  • Gyllain
    Gyllain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    14 almonds is about 100 cals

2 medium eggs, (scrambled or omelette) with herbs and black pepper, about 150 cals

soup made from low carb veg, simmered for 10 mins in low sodium stock with herbs and/or spices, then blended
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Almond butter on celery, veggies with goat cheese (add some herbs and a little bit of cream or yogurt to make it like boursin), melt some cheddar on apple slices, saute some bacon and add a whole bunch of cabbage when the bacon has rendered (this is surprisingly low cal and SUPER tasty), guacamole on red pepper slices or endive instead of chips...lots of options.

Hope this helps! <3
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Low sodium cheese sticks
    Unsalted and unroasted nuts and seeds
    Veggie and fruit
    Guacamole (use veggies and/or make your own tortillas with Mission thin tortillas -- 16 carbs for 2)
    Salsa (either make your own or look around for some lower sodium options - Green Mountain Gringo is a decent one)
    Protein bars (have to look around to find lower carb ones -- Proti has some wafer bars that have only about 8 carbs)
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Boars head, Plainville, and Applegate farms all make extra low sodium deli meats... or if you're lucky enough to have a Wegman's grocery store nearby (I think they're mid-Atlantic region in the US) they have their own store brand "just turkey" and "just roast beef" which have about 40 mg of sodium for a 2 oz. serving. I love the Wegman's deli meats on a salad, in an omelette, or wrapped around a few slices of avocado for a snack.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Most processed foods are high in sodium. Instead of deli meats try cooking some extra chicken with dinner and use it for lunch. And skip the pickles! I love them but they don't add any nutritional value to the diet. Switch to sliced cucumber and add a Greek yogurt with spices for dipping. Not quite the same but tastes pretty good as a snack.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I just posted asking friends for advice about this! :) I agree with cooking extra chicken and using it during the week and for lunch -- that has worked well for me in the past. I'm struggling with similar issues here -- I try to stick to the lower sodium cheeses and stay away from more processed foods, but it is tough to do sometimes.

As for veggies -- they should be filling because they have fiber, but, even if they don't seem to be filling they are packed with vitamin that are helpful for a really low caloric impact.

I've been trying to eat eggs in the morning (scrambled or hard boiled) and some lean meat and veggies for dinner. It is when I can't eat leftovers for lunch that I am running into problems!

I've also noticed that lower-fat options tend to be higher in sodium. It's worth a shot to look at your day and see if the higher fat option is worth the decreased sodium!

Also, Greek yogurt! (it has sodium too... but not as high as the lunch meat and it is really good as a sub for sour cream or to eat with fresh fruit).