No Sugar Diet

Options
I was recommended by a friend by the no sugar diet lifestyle..claiming that I am able to lose at least 5kgs in 10days... i have been keeping up with the diet for 5 days now..but i cheated here and there with a very small sip or two of a sweet drink.. (sometimes i craved) ..

I am wondering if it is really recommended for weight loss..?

Replies

• wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think no sugar is unreasonable, and definitely a diet - not a lifestyle change. Meaning you will cheat, so what's the point of doing it?

Just aim to lower your sugar intake and ditch REFINED sugar, which is usually in things loaded with chemicals anyway. To eliminate all sugar, you're also taking out things that are good for you, like fruits and some veggies.
  • natashaazura
    Options
    i do agree with you that its more like a diet than a lifestyle..but the thought of losing weight fast attracts me.. i need to lose at least another 5kgs.. i exercise regularly but my body dont seem to lose much even though it gets a little toned..
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    5 kgs in 10 days, no way. Even if you eliminate all food, you won't lose that much. That's 22 lbs in 10 days by the way, for you imperial people out there.

I stay away from refined sugar as much I can but 2 years ago I was eating 4 snickers a day and still losing. Was it good for my body? No, but if your aim is to lose and ignore health and regret it later on, that's doable.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I know people who do no sugar. And quite honestly to think about it I don't use much refined sugar. I do use honey or molasses. So I think it is what ever you find is a good medium for you on a day to day basis.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Make the bulk of your foods vegetables and protein (chicken, fish, eggs) - with half of the veggies being raw (think salads). Add some full fat dairy (plain yogurt or raw cheese) and some raw nuts, and avocados. Drink lots of water. You'll be amazed at how great you feel and how much energy you have. Fruit is not bad per say, but if you are trying to lose fat, it's good to keep your natural sugar intake on the low side. If you need fruit, chose those with the least amount of sugars, like berries.

As for "what's the point of doing it" theory. No one is perfect. If you can do this 80% of the time, you'll be doing great. There is nothing wrong with a splurge meal once a week, or a treat. Once you cut out the sugar, you won't miss it and your cravings will go away. And it is a lifestyle change. If you want to read up more on this way of eating - check out Marks Daily Apple.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think if you thought of it as the no ''added sugar diet you might have more success. At least initially anyway.
    If you are doing it for your health it's a good idea.
    If you are only worried about weight loss, depending upon what your normal diet is like you may still lose weight.
    It's good to know where the extra sugars in our diet come from. They can be inthe most surprising foods!
    Good luck.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Such a rapid weight loss, if it actually happens, probably comes from depleting the stored sugar in your liver, and dumping the water it's bound up with. Once you go back to a more normal way of eating, the liver will restore the sugar, and water, and you'll see that weight come back.

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but that's my guess.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't eat sugar. it has no room in my life!
  • natashaazura
    Options
    thanks for the advice..i will check it out..:) anyways i am keen to make it a lifestyle change honestly..and considering the fact that it is only my 5th day, my body is just not used to it..I believe thats why I have been having little cravings here and there...but so far i have been able to control it...only at certain times...well, we'll see in 10days if there is any changes... and honestly if it is good and not harmful..I am willing to keep it. Anyway I have also been drinking liquid chlorophyll.. I think its good too! :)
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    5 kgs in 10 days, no way. Even if you eliminate all food, you won't lose that much. That's 22 lbs in 10 days by the way, for you imperial people out there.
    11lbs
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Make the bulk of your foods vegetables and protein (chicken, fish, eggs) - with half of the veggies being raw (think salads). Add some full fat dairy (plain yogurt or raw cheese) and some raw nuts, and avocados. Drink lots of water. You'll be amazed at how great you feel and how much energy you have. Fruit is not bad per say, but if you are trying to lose fat, it's good to keep your natural sugar intake on the low side. If you need fruit, chose those with the least amount of sugars, like berries.

excellent post!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I stay away from refined sugar as much I can but 2 years ago I was eating 4 snickers a day and still losing. Was it good for my body? No, but if your aim is to lose and ignore health and regret it later on, that's doable.

no, its 11lb and entirely possible - just won't be 5k of fat, it will be water, fat and muscle etc like the big loses in the first week of any fad diet.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i don't eat sugar. it has no room in my life!

looked at your diary, i hate to break it to you but you do.
  • xarge
    Options
    no, its 11lb and entirely possible - just won't be 5k of fat, it will be water, fat and muscle etc like the big loses in the first week of any fad diet.

Oops yes, that was supposed to be 22 lbs in 20 days as she wanted to continue.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What people say here is pretty much true, but it really varies for people as to how they can stick to a no-sugar diet for the long term. From what I've seen, it seems to be the people who do well with "no-sugar" diets are the ones who thrive on low-carb in general, and the most miserable people trying to do this are the ones who naturally thrive on a higher-carb diet(this does NOT mean junk refined carbs though). For this latter group of people, of which I consider myself one, going without even fruit is torture, and can't last very long. Sure it works great for dropping weight quickly and all, but how sustainable is that? I found this out the hard way when preparing for a small body building contest and my lead-up diet for the last couple of weeks was both extremely low-fat AND low-carb, not a speck of any type of sugar to be seen anywhere LOL. On the fruit end, I was only allowed one glass of grapefruit juice(that I mixed my protein powder in with). Anyhow, I dropped that last bit of fat and all, but I can tell you this, afterward, I overate on things that I don't even hardly eat. Like ice-cream 10 days in a row, etc.! Again, not sustainable - there has to be a happy medium in there somewhere. For me, it is including fruit, and certain unrefined starches in my diet. I'm not a big sweets eater(unless I haven't gotten enough sleep - that's another story, then I'm hitting more of the chocolate), so what I focus on is staying away from REFINED sugars aka added sugars, and get my natural sugars from fruit, and my treat is some very dark chocolate(72% and above). Not into cookies, cakes, commercial baked goods, most candies, packaged foods or certain sugary condiments either. I don't eat out much on general principle, both because of actual cost, and also it's often really hard to know exactly how much of anything is in one's food.
    All that said, no matter what eating style one has, low-carb, higher-carb, somewhere in between, it's safe to say that refined sugar and added sugars can safely be cut out of the diet and one will be better off for it. Fruit fine though, according to one's size, and if one has blood sugar issues or not. These days, there are a ton of healthy recipes out there - there's bound to be something one likes and one won't miss the old sugary things. What happens to people who stick with natural sugars only for a good while, is when they do indulge in a sugary treat, it no longer tastes as good as they thought it would, since their tastebuds have been re-set to natural flavors. Give it a chance!
    Anyhow, these are just some thoughts here!
  • xarge
    Options
    What happens to people who stick with natural sugars only for a good while, is when they do indulge in a sugary treat, it no longer tastes as good as they thought it would, since their tastebuds have been re-set to natural flavors. Give it a chance!
    Anyhow, these are just some thoughts here!

Exactly. My sugar cravings turned to craving for raw fruit and as I avoid baking, I can taste the artificial flavor from anything packed or from bakery(even a very very good one).
  • UmaNarayanan
    Options
    I like the advice of staying away from 'ADDED SUGAR or REFINED SUGAR' and that exactly what I'm trying to do. But I have a hard time identifying foods that may be be considered to have 'added sugar'. Does this mean I should stay from bread, milk, yogut, honey, salad dressing etc? Can some one elabrate on the added sugar definationt?
    I do understant, some breads and some salad dressings are better than others, but is there something in the food labels, that will tell me clearly if there is added sugar or not?

I'm desprate to loose 12-15 pounds, but want to do it the right way. I just seem to love everything sugary. I might be able to stay away from added sugar. But still has me eating equal amount of fruits as vegies and carbs. will that help at all?