Advice for former WW member

Options
I created my MFP account in May but have continued with my WW Membership. Started looking more seriously at MFP and made the decision to cancel my WW membership. Going to grocery store tomorrow and realize I need to get serious about a cleaner diet and adding exercise to my daily routine. Any recommendations as I make the transition from WW to MFP? Thanks!

Replies

• riotsgram
    riotsgram Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am a former WW member. The reason I chose MFP is because you get daily encouragement from friends. I found that going to a meeting once a week wasn't enough stimulation for me. Basking in the success of your own accomplishments and that of others is priceless. Not to mention all the good advice! Add me as a friend if you like and good luck with MFP!
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I contemplated WW before joining MFP. I decided I didn't like the idea of someone else deciding the caloric/nutition value of my food. WW seemed like a middle man. I like how MFP is helping relearn how to eat appropriately for my body. I think this site will prepare me better for maintaining my loss. I suggest you read labels and try to limit your intake of processed meals. I'm a mom of 3 little ones, so cooking from scratch every day is tough. I try to limit us to one frozen meal a week. It's usually a stouffer's meal or an organic frozen pizza. Also, pull out your crock pot! I make a big crock pot meal 1-2x per week and portion out and freeze the left overs for homemade frozen meals later. Just watch of the recipes with lots of cream soups.
  • seajasna
    seajasna Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was on WW before MFP and it's great! WW makes you do all the work and I felt like I was always starving. Here MFP does all the calculating. I eat alot and am losing. First 2 weeks took some getting used to eating so much,but now my metabolizm is having something to burn instead of storing.
  • AwesomeOne66
    AwesomeOne66 Posts: 220
    Options
    both things have extraordinary merit. I lost 26kg on WW, reached goal and love the support my meeting offers. I now use MFP for maintenance and a different type of motivation and accountability. It's personal choice. I choose both....nothing you choose is going to do the hard work for you. The only thing that works is to change your eating and exercise habits and to make a commitment to yourself to be strong and motivated. good luck whatever you decide.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Also a former WWer here. I lost 55 lbs. in '06-'07 on the Turn Around program, but I wasn't having a lot of luck with the new P+2012 program, so quit to do this. Have to say that I like that I can track more than calories on here. On WW, I didn't pay too much attention to sodium or sugar, so this is helping me see how other components are make up my menu.

I do still stick to the good health guidelines, though, and keep track of those in the Notes section of my diary. I still get in two servings of dairy, 2 tsp. healthy oil, and 5+ fruits and veggies.
  • LORA0504
    LORA0504 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the great advice and feedback!! tlbood: good idea about still tracking the Good Health Guidelines.
    I definitely like the support on this site better and also like the fact that you are learning about the foods' nutritional values and not just points. Thanks again for the responses. Lora
  • Heather060801
    Heather060801 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tried ww too. Like others said, I feel this is a more supportive board. And also it promotes truly healthy eating and living. With ww I didnt get that feeling. I dont know why but it felt like there wasnt alot of focus on portion control and other nutritional values.
    Good luck!