Going public

Options
I made an important decision this morning. I upped my calories and changed the setting to 1 lb a week. To be honest, that is all I have lost anyway....4lbs in approximately 3 weeks. I have struggled with weight all my life...whether it was anorexia, bulimia, binge eating or just being too extreme with exercise. I am striving for a lifetime change of balance, enjoyment, more movement and being healthy. I love to cook and I love to eat. I cannot see living my life without enjoying what I eat. I have hesitated making my food diary public because I don't want to be judged. I am throwing that out the window. This is who I am and I am who I am. I truly believe if I keep this up, I WILL lose weight but it will be slow. I will learn to make better choices and I will develop a lifestyle of moving my body every day. I do feel changes...inches coming off and my body becoming more toned. I am learning to eat one piece of chocolate if I truly want it...one doughnut if I truly want it. I want to eat like a naturally thin person....without overly thinking every bite that goes in my mouth and not eating absent mindedly either. I just wanted to make this decision public in case anyone is listening.

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I'm also taking things a step at a time because I've struggled with eating and exercise extremes. Best wishes.
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    Thanks! All the best to you too!
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly where you're coming from. I've had a very poor relationship with food most of my life just like you. Changing your diet goals and having achievable expectations really makes you a happier, healthier person! Way to go!
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Glad you decided to break up with your bad food relationship! You are on your way to finding a new way of life filled with happiness and foods that you view as fuel and nothing else! And going public is a good way to gauge how you are doing and get advice from others who are doing well thats a good idea :smile:
    I used to have a bad relationship with food too but that is in the past and I am happy to say that I am ED free. It left me with a couple scars but once you decide to stop and live every day mindfully scars are all they are! My advice for you is to forgive yourself, when I used forgiveness instead of self hatred or self punishment (starvation, purging) after a binge, I felt freed. Like I was able to break free of that cycle. Also something I did was if I consumed extra fuel I burned extra fuel either that day or the next!

:smile: :smile: :smile: I am happy your movin on and living your life how you want to :happy:
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Good for you!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a healthy frame of mind - keep it up.
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. This is a big step for me.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You sound like you're developing a healthy mindset and that's awesome. I've struggled with weight and disordered eating as well but now that I'm really taking care of myself and losing weight the healthy way, I feel so much better physically and mentally :)
  • kim_maxcreek
    kim_maxcreek Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is great. Don't be embarassed by what you are eating. You are on a journey and it takes time. I think when you take the time to develop good habits, then you will continue the good behavior.

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I have terrible eating and exercise (not doing it) habits. This is the way I look at it, make changes slowly. If I try to do it all at once, its too overwhelming and I'll give up, again. For example, once I get used to drinking more water everyday and its a habit, then I can move on to something else.

I don't exercise every day nor do a eat great every day. I do try to keep my calories under my limit mostly by portion control at this point. I also try to walk at least 15 minutes each day. Does this make me super healthy? No, but its a lot better than my old habits. And I know that once I get some more weight off, the exercise will be easier.

Just keep logging everything you eat. It helps me to realize just how "good" or "bad" a certain food really is. And make sure you are accurate with your serving sizes. Then you can look back at what you've done and know how to tweak your food and exercise going forward. Sometimes you don't realize how many calories certain foods really have, and once you get an accurate measurement of you serving size you realize you're eating a lot more than what you thought.

Good luck and keep up the good work. You can do it!! And remember, if you have a bad day, just log it and start over fresh the next day.
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    This is such an important part of this process.! You have just set the wheels in motion to lifetime permanent change! Congrats ! It is not about the pounds lost its about being healthy ! I too struggled ith making my diary public but after about a week I thought it was important to allow others to see it . I'm not perfect ..I take it one meal at a time . Sometimes I do really well and sometimes I make a bad choice I'm just trying to make the good far outweigh the bad . I am proud of you this is tough to do!
  • karencogs
    karencogs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good for You..Now look in the mirror and tell yourself this everyone morning.." You are Awesome"& A Beautiful Person on the inside and out..Now Sing it Loud!!!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. 1-2 lbs a week is a healthy way to loe weight. I have dropped approx 35lbs in about 4 months.
    You did not gain the weight in one night or mone week. You must be patient.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Def a great plan! Coming up with healthy changes that you can live with are the keys to a real lifestyle change.