First full out run in 3 years...

Options
Did just over a mile. Time: just under 14mins.

Dear god, tell me it gets easier-.-

Any tips on running? Other then keeping it up haha

Replies

• AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It does!
    If the mile seems impossible, try starting out with a smaller distance, and do that until you feel fairly confident that you can run farther.
  • BLSaw
    BLSaw Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    the only way to get better at running sucks, means you just have to keep running!!!!
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Haha like once I cool down I feel so pumped! So I'll keep it up for sure haha
  • BLSaw
    BLSaw Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    yeah, they call that a runners high, feels great tho!!
  • DL717
    DL717 Posts: 31
    Options
    I was never really a runner. I started really running about 4-5 months ago. I started with 1 mile, then increased it by a half a mile every week or so. I found that training for a 5K really helped me get into it. I just took 3:47 off of my 5K time in 10 weeks. And I ran 4 miles in 48 minutes today. It gets easier, I promise. You don't have to run fast, just don't stop. Good luck!
  • jennyerkes
    jennyerkes Posts: 11
    Options
    I had NEVER been able to run! I was so proud this week when I could say for the first time EVER, I ran a mile without stopping!! My side hurt like heck, but I did it! Gotta start somewhere, way to go!!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yea you! It is just starting and you'll find yourself feeling better and better. I started with getting fitted for the right running shoes. Then I downloaded couch 25k (c25k) on my iPhone. I loved it because i progressed slowly withno injury. I run slow but improving.
    I ran my first 5k on July 15. I signed up for two more in September. I 'm running outside four times a week. I do 30 day shred tues and thurs. I have one rest day.
    I just upgraded to bridge to 10k and completed week1day3. Total miles 4.39. For me this is incredible at 43.
    I can run on my own schedule, and it's free.

I hope you continue and love it. I joined the virtual running forum and it's great to communicate with people with more experiences than me.
    Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I suggest walking to warm up and then run and when you start to get tired, walk again and when you have rested some, run again and keep going back and forth. You will see in just a few days or weeks, you are running more and walking less. You will be up to 3 miles in no time!

Basil
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink lots of water before you run!!!

Basil
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna work my way up. I was going to start the c25k but it doesn't track calories and that bugs me >.<

I'm using Nike+ and it seems to be working great for me.

But running after 50 mins of Pilates and squats wasn't the best of ideas. >.< haha
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Set a goal to run 20-30 min. Run until you just can't push yourself to go anymore, then do a mix of walking an running. Walk for 2 min, then run for 2, repeating this cycle until you have hit the 20-30 min mark. As you do more running, you will increase the distance of that initial running period and will walk less and less. As you get better conditioned for running, you can also change the walk/run interval to walk 1 min, run 3 min, for example. Eventually, you will be able to go 30 min or longer without walking and you will notice that your pace will begin to get faster.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Set a goal to run 20-30 min. Run until you just can't push yourself to go anymore, then do a mix of walking an running. Walk for 2 min, then run for 2, repeating this cycle until you have hit the 20-30 min mark. As you do more running, you will increase the distance of that initial running period and will walk less and less. As you get better conditioned for running, you can also change the walk/run interval to walk 1 min, run 3 min, for example. Eventually, you will be able to go 30 min or longer without walking and you will notice that your pace will begin to get faster.

This.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it in run/walk intervals? Every week or two weeks increase the run time and decrease the walk time until you start running the whole time.
  • loandlette1307
    Options
    I hadn't ran at all in about 10 years! The past few months I've been really into fitness! I've lost a little over 50 lbs! And about a month or two ago I decided to try running! Oh wow it was really hard!!!! But now I'm doing running/walking 1/4 mile intervals! I still have a long way to go! But my daughter is a wonderful inspiration! She's 14 months now so it won't be long before she can run faster than me! And well that just isn't good! So I'm determined to keep up with her! Feel free to add me! I could use all the support I can get and I enjoy helping others! Together we can do this!!!
  • SerenityGrl85
    SerenityGrl85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It absolutely gets better! I am using Nike+ as well to track my calories and I find that it is accurate. Add me on Nike+ if you want, my screen name is SerenityGrl. My friend told me that I'll never regret going running, and that I'll only regret NOT going! Keep up the good work. I never thought in a million years that I would have completed four half-marathons! Maybe you'll find yourself there someday as well!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It gets easier! Building your endurance is like you're facing one of those rope climbing military walls at the beginning. You just have to keep trying and get over the obstacle, and once you do it will get a lot easier. Most people quit before they ever get past the initial obstacle- but you can do it! Run slower than you think you should, take walk breaks and then run again as soon as your heart rate comes down. Don't worry about your speed at all until you get your endurance where you want it to be- probably around the 3 mile/5K mark. Once you have the endurance, you can start to chisel away at the speed. But speed without endurance is meaningless, unless you're competing in a sprint race or something.

Gosh, I barely get in to my groove within the first mile! It gets easier, I promise.