I never thought I was overweight

Options
For the longest time, I refused to believe that I was overweight. My parents, sisters, some close friends, even some not so close ones would tell me that I was overweight - and I would just think to myself, I feel great, they just have a different body shape.

It wasn't until someone that I didn't even know so well, came up to me and said 'when i see you, all I can see is how fat you are'. Yes, someone actually said that to me. Well, the next day, I joined a gym, 2 months after that, I got a personal trainer, and 4 months since i have started, I have lost 11kg (23lbs).

I have never been able to lose weight in the past. Mostly cos, after going to the gym, I would feel it was ok to stop by Macdonalds drive-thru. Or get an ice cream. Or eat some chocolate after the gym.

Well, I have been married for a year an a half now, and I am so glad to say that I am looking much better than our wedding day! My only regret is not having started this sooner.

My goal is go be 57kg or 125lb. Hopefully get there before September 2012!

Replies

• jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well, the person who said that to you is a jerk.

I'm glad you're motivated to get healthy! :) Welcome. :)
  • Rachel089
    Rachel089 Posts: 13
    Options
    Girl that is awesome! Keep up the great work!
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't even fathom the type of person who would say that to someone. That person was a huge loser, and I am sorry that he was the catalyst to make you feel that you were not "okay" with yourself. Congrats on the weight loss through, and on the decision to be more healthy for YOU, not the jerk that felt the need to put someone down to make himself feel better. Keep up the great work and you will be where you want to be in no time!
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    For the longest time, I refused to believe that I was overweight. My parents, sisters, some close friends, even some not so close ones would tell me that I was overweight - and I would just think to myself, I feel great, they just have a different body shape.

It wasn't until someone that I didn't even know so well, came up to me and said 'when i see you, all I can see is how fat you are'. Yes, someone actually said that to me. Well, the next day, I joined a gym, 2 months after that, I got a personal trainer, and 4 months since i have started, I have lost 11kg (23lbs).

I have never been able to lose weight in the past. Mostly cos, after going to the gym, I would feel it was ok to stop by Macdonalds drive-thru. Or get an ice cream. Or eat some chocolate after the gym.

Well, I have been married for a year an a half now, and I am so glad to say that I am looking much better than our wedding day! My only regret is not having started this sooner.

Well don't let them get to you. Misery loves company, you know, and that person must have been horribly miserable.

Edit: OP: You're absolutely gorgeous btw. I can't imagine the cretin who would say such a thing.
  • lilimini
    lilimini Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for the beautiful words. i think most people thought it was a guy who said it... but it was actually a girl. Who, may I add, is more overweight than I am. So, it did hurt. But now, when I see her, I look skinnier every time. She hasn't said anything every since though...

I think it is true... misery does like company... it's a shame some people do choose to be so negative.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for the beautiful words. i think most people thought it was a guy who said it... but it was actually a girl. Who, may I add, is more overweight than I am. So, it did hurt. But now, when I see her, I look skinnier every time. She hasn't said anything every since though...

I think it is true... misery does like company... it's a shame some people do choose to be so negative.

Projection, my dear. She probably feels badly about herself and wanted you to feel the same way.

This is why living well is the best revenge. :)
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    Sounds to me like the girl did you a favor. Noone wants to say it, but sometimes the best motivator is harsh criticism. It is short, direct, and has the best effect. That is how people improve the best. If the person had told you....oh no, you look like Angelina Jolie, chances are, you would have gained 10 lbs by now. And best of all, a lot of times there is truth there! And, no, that is not a shot at you, I am generalizing. I have never had a guy walk up to me and tell me I am overweight, not even a friend. Ergo, I have been fat all my life. I have finally realize it needs to change....
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    you just keep on doing what you're doing FOR YOU!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've had overweight people tell me that I'm "fat" as well, even though my weight is fine. Don't let mean people get to you, and congrats on your progress :smile:
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options

wow hun great story!!!! we both have the same target :D good luck
  • Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That's a horrible thing for someone to say to a person. Even if one is "overweight" there are more tactful ways to approach the subject - even though many times we don't want to hear or believe.

Still, I believe that society's definition of "overweight" is extremely skewed. Not everyone has the body build to become supermodel thin - and seriously, that level of skinny doesn't look any healthier than being slightly overweight. I consider myself about average in build since I'm cursed with a heavy bone-structure and short height from both sides of my family. A little bit of weight in the wrong places and there are those who have said I was obese (friends, personal trainers, etc.)

If you feel the need for improvement - then that's your choice. Never make decisions on the hurtful words of another because people who are cruel are usually unhappy with themselves to begin with and, like others in this thread have mentioned, like to make others miserable to justify themselves.

Remember, you will never be happy with your outside until you're happy with your inside.
    This has become my mantra and I am trying to live by every single day. :happy:
  • lilimini
    lilimini Posts: 56
    Options
    Everyone is so lovely! I guess it just reminds us that sometimes what we say does affect people for good or bad. I am grateful that she said something - but I guess the way it was said was just plain mean. And, it was in front of other people too.

I didn't mention this before, but currently living in China and working as a English teacher. I fly home to Australia in 2 weeks, and hope to lose a few more lbs before we get home. So excited :) My husband and I haven't seen our families in 1 year! That is just extra motivation to make sure I stay on the right track!
  • ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Options
    Hello and welcome here. You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day and feel free to add me if you wish. :smile:
  • tra428
    tra428 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I just discovered today that I'm 160 lbs, which for me at 5'2 ish is quite overweight. I'm kinda having a break down about it, because last year only I'd made it to 125 lbs with Weight Watchers, My Fitness Pal and Jillian's Michael's...then I moved, got married, started grad school and got a German Shepherd and boom. I gained 35 lbs in one year. I have stretch marks...and apparently am extremely delusional because even though I did my measurements last week when I started tracking again, I put my starting weight at 140 lbs. I just can't believe I was so off. I've never been heavier than 135 lbs in my life, and I've weighed that from pretty much age 14 till recently. I really need some motivation, but more importantly a reminder to not get all extreme and do some stupid crash diet that just makes this worse. I just don't know what to do now that I've realized right now I'm not working on "that pesky last 10 pounds", this is serious weight loss and I'm terrified I'll never be able to do it.