plateaud...

Options
2»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yes, TDEE calculations are indeed the best thing ever. Everyone should know how weight loss works, it helps allot!

Those with HRMs (which only accurately measure cardio burns) measure inaccuracies about half of what MFP calculations. Definitely don't count 5 hours of swimming as nothing like the other person suggests, you are definitely burning calories, but probably not as many as you think. Record the equivalent of hard core full out swimming you do. Treading water doesn't take much...probably as much as walking slowly, perhaps log that (2.5mph)? Remember, it's over estimated by allot. Or perhaps if you're working out 5 days a week use the appropriate TDEE comparison...

2-3 pounds a week is a concerning amount of weight to keep up. You've probably gotten rid of a lot of access fluids (this often happens at the beginning of weight loss). Also, that fluid is usually in the form of glycogen (energy). It's something you don't want to deplete all together, and 1700 is about what I'm NETTING (all 120 poonds of me with less exercise). You can definitely lose on a much smaller deficit then that. If you find yourself hungry or weak you may want to up temporarily. You're probably burning close if not over 3000 calories a day...so you're cutting by a fair bit. I always try to eat over my BMR and below my TDEE. The FDA and Health Canada recommends about 2000 calories/day for a women.

In the event that you ever do stall for about a month, (you have a bit to lose, so it's likely to happen), eat your TDEE at least several weeks. You'll gain weight in this period (glycogen...you're energy stores well come back. It'll disappear with then some weight when you cut...give it a week or so). Then cut your calories back about 10-20%. Repeat if the problem occurs for more then a month. :)

Since you're exercising constantly it's also recommended that you eat up to 1.8g of protein per kg of your body weight for strength. The lowest amount to avoid protein deficiency is about 46g or .8g your body weight in kg (whichever's highest). See wikipedia nutrient references for details...they also did a little write up about it.

Goodluck!
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I plateau and then drop, plateau and drop. I weigh every morning but if same weight, I am energized to blast through it. If gain I am compelled to log and exercise no matter what, When it drops, I am rewarded and think how good the next drop will feel. It is a series of mini goals....Stay with it and it will break!!!!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I plateau and then drop, plateau and drop. I weigh every morning but if same weight, I am energized to blast through it. If gain I am compelled to log and exercise no matter what, When it drops, I am rewarded and think how good the next drop will feel. It is a series of mini goals....Stay with it and it will break!!!!
    ^if you plateau for a week it's likely you'll drop more then usual the next week. Especially if you're female, it's not necessarily fat you're holding onto, we hold on to all kinds of weird stuff, especially certain times of the month :P

That being said the lighter you get the harder it is to lose weight. Typically, your average person goes on a 500 calorie deficit for healthy weight loss and continues to drop their goal (keeping the deficit) as their weight goes down. Except me since I was 30 lbs off my goal...500 is a big cut in that case. The closer you get to goal you should still be getting a decent amount of calories to get all of your nutrients (somewhere around 2000 calories for a women give or take...especially if they're exercising). Don't turn into one of those people who net 12 calories a day :P
  • hairspray74
    Options
    Change up your exercise routine, on the biggest loser one of the trainers tips is to change your direction, if you go forward then go backwarks, if you usually kick forward then do lunges, they said that it keeps your body "entertained" or something like that, I don't know if its true but it sounds logical to me.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You might try cutting your sodium intake down to about 1,000 total a day. Because of the foods you are eating you are digesting a lot of sodium, which even with all of the water you drink can certainly hinder your weight loss.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Change up your exercise routine, on the biggest loser one of the trainers tips is to change your direction, if you go forward then go backwarks, if you usually kick forward then do lunges, they said that it keeps your body "entertained" or something like that, I don't know if its true but it sounds logical to me.
    ^Whatever you do don't try to become the biggest loser, they do some pretty unhealthy weight loss methods and are closely supervised by professionals...Once again allot of the inital weight they lose is due to glycogen depletion, not fat.

But yes, changing up routine will train your muscles better (not sure if that affects weight loss though).
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I won't say your not burning calories while working but you need to remember that many of mfp exercises are overestimated. If it says you burn 3000 if I was you I would reduce that number by a third to 2000.