I am Edward and New to Forums

Options
EdwardMH2
EdwardMH2 Posts: 65 Member
Also new to dieting, exercise and healthy eating. I in Battlefield, Mo. and am 47 years old weight 199.1 lbs. Height 5'10" and I HATE to buy and cook food as I waste so much so I eat out ALL meals.

Currently only exercise is walking my Dog but I rarely walk over 5000 steps a day. bought a LiveStrong 13.0E Elliptical but feel faint after 5 mins. at heart rate of 130+ (about a 3.5 mph pace) I am more careful about what I eat now though. Using the Fitbit Ultra traker and also my iPad2 to track exercise and food. have the Withings scale and Blood Pressure cuff for Ipad. My Triglycerides 480+ are high and borderline hypertension along with Fatty Liver.

My goal is to get to 180 lbs to start to see how I look and feel. (Internet "Ideal weight calculators say I should be 165-176 lbs last time I was 179 lbs I looked underfed.) and lower my sugar and Blood Pressure with food before the Doctor decides I need medications to do it.

ANY helpful advice would be welcomed.

Replies

• EdwardMH2
    Options
    Any advice at all?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are eating enough. You shouldn't be feeling faint or tired on an elliptical at the pace you stated. Men should not eat below 1500 calories a day. And if you are exercising make sure you enter the exercise into the database here, and then you must eat those additional calories. If you don't, you will start to feel faint and lightheaded and weak and fatigued.

Drink plenty of water. Log all your food and exercise until you are comfortable with the numbers.

Get eight hours of sleep a day. Limit alcohol....you know, all that stuff your doctor tells you. It makes a huge difference to your health and weight loss.

Don't set your goals too aggressively:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here long enough to give you any real helpful advice, but would like to wish you luck just the same :)
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I purchased the 10.0E two months ago, started at 196lbs in May 181 this morning. 5' 10". Had a desk job for the last decade with a diet of cheeseburgers and pizza. i am really making a lifestyle change and is really working for me. My current goal is to hit 160lbs (my college weight). more than happy to tell you what has worked for me adn bounce ideas along the way.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i had high blood pressure and cholesterol, once i started doing low carb, they came down pretty fast.

good luck to you.
  • Larence
    Larence Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take your time and don't rush anything.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me Edward. We can conquer this healthy lifestyle together.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I got my blood pressure down with weight loss! I hope you do well with your goals.
  • colleentrt
    colleentrt Posts: 10
    Options
    Edward I wish you much success in your new lifestyle change. I eat out a lot too but try to go to places that offer lowfat or light choice meals. Feel free to add me if your looking for support!
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this site! You have made your first good choice :smile: There is a lot of support and a lot to read! A lot of us are dealing with the same health issues you are so you don't have to be alone.

Feel free to friend me. We all need each other!
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    Thank you all for your information. I have a feeling this won't be easy and I am going to miss my favorite foods. but if it keeps me off more medications it is worth it.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    I think you should learn to cook! That way you have far more control over what you eat.
    Jane
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    With anything even cooking it is more about confidence and finding the things you like and that work for you, I know of a handfull of things that are quite easy to cook that take less than the time it does to que in a McDonalds and get served plus they are healthy to add that bonus.
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    I really should cook, but I get paranoid about shelf life on food I buy and throw it away a week after I buy it no mater what it is. So in long run right now it is cheaper to eat out.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    No advice but I :heart: your dog.
  • hungergames201213
    Options
    dont rush and make sure to eat enough. make healthy choices that keep you full. feel free to add me. i may be a young lady close to her goal but i can help. add me.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    So in long run right now it is cheaper to eat out.

But you want to lose weight...? Have you thought about buying just enough food for a couple of days? That way you don't need to worry about throwing stuff out.

Seriously, I challenge you to learn to cook one meal a week. You can always find something on Youtube so you can see what your cooking should look like.
    Jane
  • wilted_daisies
    Options
    Good luck and cute dog :)