When Is The Best Time To Check Your Weight?

Options
I would like to know if there even is a "best" time to hop on the scale.

I know some people do it daily, but is there an optimal time to do it?

(i.e. in the morning, at night, on sundays, after a poo...)

I'm just curious :smokin:

When do YOU weigh in??

Replies

• Carolyn1012
    Carolyn1012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh at night and know I would weigh roughly 3lbs less the next morning. I am an emotional weigher! My eating during the day is better if I don't know the weight. Either I say 'yay I lost a pound and can cheat' or I say 'ugh I gained weight and might as well give up' therefore for me, night weighing works best.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My opinion, in morning after my shower.
  • whitterbugCo
    Options
    I've read it's best to do it in the morning, right after you wake up, wearing nothing.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I wake up, pee, and weigh.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    There is no best or worse time...as long as you weigh yourself at the same time of day.

I also wake up, pee then weigh.

I am a daily weigher but only record it once a week.

For other folks, once a week works best for them.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Morning. After you pee. :laugh:

I would aim for weekly. But I have to confess that I've been weighing in daily to make sure I didn't gain back my measly 2lb loss thus far. :embarassed:
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In my view, it's best to do as soon as you wake up. You've been fasting for at least 8 hours, so you're not holding as much water weight, glycogen, etc. and, therefore, the readings are more likely to be consistent and show a trend. During the day, scale weight can be affected by activity, eating, drinking etc.

By way of example, I'm 209.4 right now, but I'll be around 206 in the morning.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning, immediately upon waking up and after going to the bathroom, naked, before eating or drinking anything. This eliminates the variables about as much as possible and makes for about the best consistency from day to day, IMO.
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do it in the mornings after I use the restroom.
  • girlsonly04
    girlsonly04 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always weigh in the morning before I eat and I make sure it is the same time every day.
  • alex88carolina
    Options
    First thing in the morning after I wake up, everyday.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    In the morning naked :smile: after a pee. You'll weigh less then, than at any other time. That way it only weighs you. No food no clothes no nothing. As for how often. I weigh once a week, because on MFP you only record once a week. All personal.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I weigh after I pee when I first wake up. Today I weighed after I peed, then got a wild hair and weighed again after a poo and was up two pounds, lol!
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My opinion... In the morning... after you wee... after you exercise (if you exercise in the morning) and before you've had breakfast. Your stomach will be mostly empty and you will have metabolized a lot of calaries over night.

You can weigh yourself every day if you wish but it will be up and down a lot. I recommend you only record your weight once a week... that way you are likely to see good progress.

If you are doing exercise (like weights) what you see in the mirror might be more important than what you see on the scale. If you are toning up your body can be improving a lot (in shape) without loosing bucket loads of weight.

Good luck.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    in the morning before my work out :) buck naked and everything... i'm thinking of weighing myself once a month now though...
  • MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    IN THE MORNING ... wake up ... go pee .. and weigh your self .. (if you can poo also thats a total bonus lol)
    i do it every monday in the morning right after my pee :) lol
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I usually weigh in the morning when I get out of bed with no clothes and before I drink my coffee or eat..:drinker: Usually on Fri. also before the weekend..LOL
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    wake up, use the bathroom, weigh
  • snelson0511
    Options
    I weigh myself on Wednesday in the morning after going to the bathroom. I do it during the week cause I tend to have "splurge" days during the weekend and retain more water. Then on Monday I'm still holding onto the water weight from salty foods or possibly needing a good BM (I know, TMI)

Hope this helps!!
  • mshoolia
    mshoolia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing so don't feel embarrassed :)