the snowball effect

Options
So for all of my overweight compadres out there -- you probably know exactly what I'm talking about just by the subject:

You're overweight.
And you hate it.
And when you're alone, you have time to think about it.
And you feel how overweight you are.
And you really hate it.
And for a few minutes, you think about your goals.
And you make new goals -- really optimistic goals.
And you get excited!
But then you think about what it would mean to achieve said goals.
Then you remind yourself of all the previous failed attempts.
And you tell yourself you can't do it.
And you go to the kitchen, not caring anymore.
And then you probably go to the kitchen again...and maybe again.
And you dare to look at that picture of the not-overweight you and feel tears roll down your face.
And you go to bed hating yourself even more than when you woke up in the morning.

Yeah, it's been one of those kinds of days where I'm stuck in self-pity mode. I know what I need to do -- but am feeling so inadequate and ridiculously alone.

I couldn't agree with the Beatles anymore..."I get by with a little help from my friends..."

Any help, friends?

Replies

• VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been there; I'm not quite to the other side, but almost.

You can do it.
  • isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im feeling the same way as you today.. Losing weight is so hard.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, none of that.... We can, we will, we do! everything you do to get moving will help, maybe not immediately but it will, :flowerforyou:
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Yep, all too familar with that rant. Been there, done that.

Go to bed tonite. Tomorrow morning wake up with an attitude adjustment, pull up the bootstraps, get some motivation out of the sock drawer and start the journey anew. One day at a time, one pound at a time. You CAN do it, we ALL can do it. We're all on the same journey.
  • Glamorous_RN
    Glamorous_RN Posts: 204
    Options
    ive been there, i was a size 14 two years ago and just let myself go it was a mess, and now im where i should be, you guys CAN do it, DONT listen to the negative voice in your head
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Redacted.
  • rau_jenn
    rau_jenn Posts: 10
    Options
    My goodness there are parts of your self you houl love no matter what!!! Find those parts and make it a positive note!!
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    "And for a few minutes, you think about your goals.
    And you make new goals -- really optimistic goals.
    And you get excited!
    But then you think about what it would mean to achieve said goals.
    Then you remind yourself of all the previous failed attempts.
    And you tell yourself you can't do it. "

This was a big problem for me. And my answer may sound a bit philosophical.

Look at our world. We celebrate "transformation". We celebrate the woman who went from a size 22 to a size 2. We celebrate the person who won 36 million dollars, or the olympic gold. We as a culture tend to focus only the big victories and many of these victories rightfully merit celebration. BUT this makes even individuals feel that they are failures if they didn't do something spectacular. So we make big goals. We make grandiose plans. And then we think about it, even getting there seems so tough.

Here is what worked for me.

1. I made short term goals only. I find a lot of people dream of how life will be strutting in a bikini, but for me that was so far down the line, I knew it would get discouraging fast. I aimed for 15 pounds weight loss first. Or being one size smaller. That seemed more doable and realistic in the course of 3-4 months.
    2. Celebrated small victories. So I am still 164 pounds, and thirty pounds short of my goal weight. But hey, when I started, if you had seen me do one girly pushup, you might have feared for my LIFE because I was wheezing and flailing through it. Now I can do 20 proper pushups, and I celebrated. I used to struggle with 5 pound weights, but now I curl with 15. It may not seem as much because I don't look like the "after" picture of a Brazil Buttlift transformation (yet) but these are tangible goals that improve all the time, and focussing on them gives me a more healthy way of accessing my progress.
    3. Made small changes. Losing weight is hard. A lot of things that I had to do was so singularly unpleasant. The hour long cardio, the grunting and sweating like a pig while lifting weights, the paying attention to what I ate, and the terminally slow weight loss because I am in my late thirties and my metabolism isn't what it used to be. But, I focussed on small changes first. My first goal was- I am going to do 30 minutes of cardio every 2 days. Then it was, I am going to do 30 minutes of weight training thrice every week in addition to cardio. Then, I changed what I ate for breakfast- from skipping it, to having something healthy. Slowly over the course of 2 months, I changed my lifestyle in manageable bits. Now, not as glamorous as a woman who went all out, but I felt like this way I was setting myself up for success.

Finally, a word of encouragement. Losing weight is rather like quitting smoking. Many of us will have set backs. Many of us will relapse and gain all of it back. We will feel miserable. We will feel like failures. There were times when I would be going on a great cycle and then see someone with an effortlessly slim body and feel like hitting my head against the wall, while simultaneously eating something buttery and salty. But, I told myself, she probably doesn't have my numeric genius so it all works out. You have to find things about yourself that make you happy and proud of yourself now, so that you can rely on it when the going or the starting gets tough. That way weight loss just becomes an enhancer for the wonderful person you are, rather than the goal in itself. ...If that makes any sense.