Saunas - Do they help weight loss?

Options
I diet and exercise and am only a few grams from my 'healthy' weight range.

I really like to sauna but am curious as to whether they actually assist with weight loss besides the obvious dehydrating affect which is only temporary.

Any sauna fans?

Replies

• recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I live in South Central Texas so May through September it's a sauna 24/7! If sauna's made you lose weight, I wouldn't be fat to begin with!!! ;-)

From what I have read and researched it's my opinion that the act of sweating in and of itself does not drastically increase weight loss. Yes, you may burn a few extra calories, but the effect is so minimal it's not worth it.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't think they do for me, unless migraine headaches contribute to weight loss. I have gotten a migraine after a sauna every time I've been in one for my adult life. I guess it just stresses my body out too much.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't think they do for me, unless migraine headaches contribute to weight loss. I have gotten a migraine after a sauna every time I've been in one for my adult life. I guess it just stresses my body out too much.

A major cause of headaches is dehydration... so maybe you should be drinking water WHILE you sauna. Either that or yeah... your body simply doesn't like the heat.

Thanks for your reply.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good question. Here is what I think.

Sauna=sweating=increased fluid output = +/- 2 lbs weight lost via dehydration.

I've done zero research, its just my deductive reasoning at work :-)
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    People like to find easy ways to lose weight, I had a friend at work who'd go to sauna a lot trying to lose weight, but he never did. The heat just makes you dehydrate, and a small amount of energy that your body exorts to help you sweat will not account for much, especially if the next step after sauna is going to Starbucks. There is no easier way to lose weight other than eating healthy foods.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the only good thing about saunas might be that you (hopefully) don't eat while you're in there.

Oh and the nudity.... that can be good too :)
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Unless you have specific problems with it (like the person who gets migraines) then saunas are generally good because being hot and sweating for short periods is good for you, especially your skin. The only weight loss is causes is water exiting your body though. :-)