When Is The Best Time To Check Your Weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• KristieWade
    Options
    I weigh in the morning to elimate the variables of what I eat, drink, etc. I generally workout right before bed as well so I'm burning calories all night long. So my routine is wake up, use the bathroom, weigh and then get dressed.
  • kacinace
    kacinace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the AM, about 30 mins after I wake up. I also weigh daily, record weekly. I'm kind of a control freak, and weighing daily keeps me happy, so it works. I don't stress over the number, but if I notice I'm up 2 pounds from the day before it gets me to drink more water :)
  • mshoolia
    mshoolia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Morning. After you pee. :laugh:

I would aim for weekly. But I have to confess that I've been weighing in daily to make sure I didn't gain back my measly 2lb loss thus far. :embarassed:

I do the same thing, so don't feel embarrassed :laugh:
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I get up early in the morning and do a 5 mile fast walk most mornings. I weigh myself without clothes when I get back from the walk and after a bathroom stop, before I eat anything or drink a lot of water. I do it the same way each time for consistency.
  • pandoraparadox
    pandoraparadox Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week, first thing in the morning after I pee and before I do anything else (though if I'm desperate I allow myself a sip of water or two). I don't weigh naked but wear roughly the same amount of clothing (t-shirt and panties usually). The most important part is to be consistent, so pick whatever works best for you and stick with it. I like the morning because it's a lot easier to ensure a consistent amount of food/energy and water (or lack thereof) in my system, but for someone with very regular mealtimes that could be true of any time of day.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wake up, pee, and weigh every morning at 6:45. I only record my weight once a week, which is on Friday's.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    After coming back from Roscoes chicken and waffles or Gold Medal Restaurant. Get the Gold Medal Chow Mein.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You can weigh daily, as long as you recognize daily fluctuations are going to happen and it doesn't demoralize you. I know some geeky people that actually enter their weight into a spreadsheet and average it over the past ten days.

I agree first thing after a bathroom break is a good time. It minimizes the variables.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Wake up > bathroom > strip down > weigh ---- every other week or so. Have learned that measurements are way more important than the # number.

As much as I'd want to, I never step on the scale the day (or two) after I've gone out to eat, drank a lot of beer, been more generous with food...
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I weight every day in the morning after bathroom trip and naked. I also weight myself at night before I go to bed because I like to see the fluctuations between morning and evening. I don't document the night time weight though, it is just for my own personal information.
  • Bijoux_Bug
    Bijoux_Bug Posts: 36
    Options
    Morning. After you pee. :laugh:

I would aim for weekly. But I have to confess that I've been weighing in daily to make sure I didn't gain back my measly 2lb loss thus far. :embarassed:

ahaha! you're not alone! i lose a pound and i'll go on the scale like 3 times a day just to make sure it stays lost :laugh:
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wake up, pee, and weigh.

Me too :laugh:
  • Chop28
    Chop28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self in the morning after I use the restroom.
  • Bijoux_Bug
    Options
    Sounds like it's common to weigh in the morning after a pee
    I'll start doing that too. :happy:
    thanks!
  • Bijoux_Bug
    Options
    After coming back from Roscoes chicken and waffles or Gold Medal Restaurant. Get the Gold Medal Chow Mein.

:noway:
  • Lalo_Nyc
    Lalo_Nyc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I get on scale twice a day, first thing in morning and just prior to sleep. Some people wait a whole week, some longer. I have to know my progress best way for me is to get on frequently.

You will weight less in morning than at night before bed. This is because we continue to lose weight while sleeping and it is another reason why getting 7-8 of sleep a night is so important. When up get your beauty rest, you are full of energy and have lost on average 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. So if you get only 4 hours of sleep you wake up crappy and exhausted and have probably lost 1/2 pounds but since you (all of us) tired, we reach for food, drink, etc and add on an extra 2 pounds so this sends us into that endless spiral of feeling crappy and gaining weight.

Good uck,

Ed from NYC
  • ipitythepotbelly
    Options
    i like to weigh myself in the morning when i don't really feel like running. the number on the scale usually reminds me why i really should suck it up and go run like the wind.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if there even is a "best" time to hop on the scale.

I know some people do it daily, but is there an optimal time to do it?

(i.e. in the morning, at night, on sundays, after a poo...)

I'm just curious :smokin:

When do YOU weigh in??

Weigh yourself 3-4x a day for a week. Take notes. You will find on average that you have a 'lightest time' of day. For most people, that's first thing in the AM, after the bathroom, before dressing. For others it might be after work, etc. That's the one you want to use, as it will most accurately reflect your actual body mass, without added food or waste in your system.

For example...my lightest time USED to be in the morning as mentioned above. But with my current work schedule, and my eating schedule (I don't eat till between 1 and 3pm daily), my lightest time is right before my first meal of the day, after I get home from working in the sun for 8+ hours.
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I take thyroid medication, so I have to wait a minimum of 60 minutes before I can eat breakfast in the AM. I weigh in if I end up having a BM before I eat. Naked. Very scientific. :blushing:

I skip weighing in if its that time of the month, if my body is ridiculously sore from exercising or if I have wet hair from the shower. The hair thing makes my husband laugh at me, but I have hair long enough to sit on, the amount of water it holds is not insignificant. :laugh: