5'9 girls

Options

Replies

• EnterFitness
    Options
    Wow, a lot of the weight goals on this post seem so low for 5'9", especially the one for 126 lbs. I don't want to "quote" anyone because I am not trying to offend, I just had to put my 2 cents in on that one. I am 5' 9" and couldn't imagine being smaller than a size 10, it just doesn't seem natural for my body type. So that is my goal, size 10 and I am willing to get my weight down to whatever I have to to get into a size 10. I doubt it will be less than 170 though.

It's not like we can't go back and read the thread to see who it is. As many people noted, or is implied, many of us have different body types, and shapes. After my first year in college I came home weighing 121-lbs and looked amazing and healthy. I had the appetite of a football team so I was hardly undernourished -- it's just how me and my metabolism was back then.

Now I did say earlier in this thread that at 154 I was very thin and unhealthy -- and I was, and I actually "looked" so much less healthy at 154 than I did when I was younger weighing 121. Go figure, but there is healthy thin and sick thin.

But that was 30-years later in life and trust me, everything changes after 40. LOL!

That said, 170 not a bad place to be in weight for us tall gals, at all! If I get down to 174; the very top of my healthy weight range (134 to 174) I'll be THRILLED!
  • kazoooo8
    kazoooo8 Posts: 71
    Options
    Wow, a lot of the weight goals on this post seem so low for 5'9", especially the one for 126 lbs. I don't want to "quote" anyone because I am not trying to offend, I just had to put my 2 cents in on that one. I am 5' 9" and couldn't imagine being smaller than a size 10, it just doesn't seem natural for my body type. So that is my goal, size 10 and I am willing to get my weight down to whatever I have to to get into a size 10. I doubt it will be less than 170 though.

I thought so too! Even when I was slim in m 20s and 30s, I was never ever a size 2 or 4. When I was a size 5/6, people used to think I was on drugs cuz I was too skinny. I am aiming at 170-175 lb and size 10/12.
  • Naturally_EB
    Naturally_EB Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad someone posted about this topic! I always wondered what others considered a good size for 5'9"

My goal weight is somewhere between 155-165. I definitely want to look toned and not super thin...So my goal weight may change down the road. I think a size 8 is an appropriate size for 5'9".
  • Dina275
    Dina275 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My current weight is 165lbs (I haven't actually weighed myself since the start of the month though), I haven't weighed less than 165lbs for quite a number of years so at the moment I don't really have a goal weight, I just want to lose enough weight and gain enough muscle for me to be happy with how my body looks. As for clothe sizes, I'm currently a size 14 pants (I have really big hips) and a size 12/14 top, that is New Zealand sizing.
  • Kalliejc
    Kalliejc Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 21 years ago when I was a freshman in high school I weighed 155 and my family did an intervention because they thought I was anorexic!! I wasn't. :) I will be happy at 170.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My goal is 144, although having lost 16lbs and gotten down to 151 I'm pretty happy in clothes.

At 170 I was overweight and had a bad double chin and was carrying lots of weight on my stomach and thighs. I have a small frame and am an apple shape, so 144 is a good weight for me, but if I wanted to be really trim, I could lose another 7 on top of that.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am aiming right now for 155 but I'm not sure what size that is now in Canada. It's been a while since I was even that weight. In my teens and twenty's I weighed between 135 and 145 and my family used to say that I had to stand twice to make a shadow because I was so thin. Back then, that was a size 13/14 but who knows what size that would be now. It seems that, as women in North America have become larger, the size numbers have become smaller especially in the higher-end stores. I will be happy when I can buy sizes off the ``regular`` racks whatever number that ends up being.
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5'9.25" and 5'10" with a medium-to-large frame, and my goal is somewhere between 150 and 160 lbs.

Edit: My goal is to be a size medium (so either an 8 or a 10, depending on the brand). I'm top heavy so that might not work out for my shirt size.

i'm looking somewhere around this too. but my initial goal is 175ish. the last time i was that weight i was wearing a juniors size 11 and i'm perfectly fine with ladies size 8-10. right now my boobs are giant 38DD and that is just not okay with me, i have dents on my shoulders from my bra straps.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My initial goal weight is going to be 150 and after I'll adjust accordingly ... realistically I will probably be between 125-145 so I have a nice cushion under the 150 mark. I'd be thrilled at a size 10 but a size 8 wouldn't be too bad either!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, 155lbs, 21% body fat. Anywhere between an 8-12/M-L for pants, usually a S-M/8 for tops.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My goal is to like what I see in the mirror and to feel strong and capable :).

Last time I was really fit I was 165 and a size 12. I have really powerful legs, and they're "thick" (my waist band gaped). I still thought I was fat, and probably could have lost another 15 lbs healthfully, but I've also had children since then. We'll see.
  • katheern
    Options
    My goal is to like what I see in the mirror and to feel strong and capable :).

Last time I was really fit I was 165 and a size 12. I have really powerful legs, and they're "thick" (my waist band gaped). I still thought I was fat, and probably could have lost another 15 lbs healthfully, but I've also had children since then. We'll see.

I have the same problem! Skinny jeans and knee high boots are my nemesis because of my thighs/calves. Straight jeans on me look like what skinny jeans look like on other people.
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 101 Member
    Options

thank you for this. i've had friends this height (i'm 5'10) who have tiny frames and weight in the 120-130 range but for me that would be INSANE. i have an hourglass figure and i'm very strong. 160-175 seems great to me! don't let other's body types at the same height get you down
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'9, currently 65kg (143lb) and am a UK 12 for jeans, and a UK 10 for dresses and shirts. I'm aiming to be a small UK 8 or 6, looking at 55kg (120lbs) as my goal weight (: My lowest weight at this height was 57kg, and I was a small UK 8 then, so (: just want to be back there!
  • katheern
    Options

thank you for this. i've had friends this height (i'm 5'10) who have tiny frames and weight in the 120-130 range but for me that would be INSANE. i have an hourglass figure and i'm very strong. 160-175 seems great to me! don't let other's body types at the same height get you down

Yeah don't worry too much about what other people's goals are. They are probably very small framed whereas I have a large frame and probably can't (without being unhealthy) get lower than a size 8. You know best what will look good for your body! Based on my body fat if I had 0% body fat I would still be 120lbs!
  • laurabethh7
    laurabethh7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"10 and 19 years old. I'm supposed to have a small frame according to the wrist test... so my goal weight is 140~
    :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    This is interesting because my number is different than the replies I have read so far. I'm going for 170 where I'm a size 10/12. I have a larger frame, yes, but I'll have to see how I feel once I get there. If I function best at that weight, then fine. If I can do better at a lower weight then that's fine too and I'll work towards that goal.

5'9' here and I got to 174 lbs once and looked like a drug addict naked, but looked great in a size 12 pair of jeans. so I'll probably be staying around 185-190.
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'10. After I had the flu a few years ago, I lost 10 lbs and kept it off for about 2 years, then gained it back after a trip to Vegas and too much eating out with my new BF. I'd like to get back down to 165lbs, at which point I am about a size 8. I am technically a large frame, but just barely.

When I first reading posts like this, I thought, how in the world can someone my height ever be under 135? But it has in part to do with frame size. Some people are built like houses (like me) and others like reeds (NOT like me!). Don't worry about what seems like a desirable number, but rather what's a healthy size for you to be. I'd be sickly and uncomfortable (cold, feeling bony) less than 150 for sure!
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing! I understand different body frames- I'm 5'9.5" and currently 201lbs. I've been obese my entire adult life, and most of my childhood- so really no clue what size/ weight I will be when I'm happy with where I'm at. I definitely have a larger frame and it's kind of scary that some girls at 5'9" want to be at an almost unhealthily low BMI- quite worrisome if you ask me. I'm shooting for 180lbs, but I won't know until I get "there"- and 180 is about 10 lbs overweight for my height I believe... I like having curves- I just want to be healthy! Oh and I'm currently a size L/XL top and 16 Jeans right now :)
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    sz 4 weight 130 with muscle