Runners! 1/2 marathon, help?

Options
Hello everyone! I've been a runner since... well forever. but only short distances. I've done a 5k, and run three miles nearly everyday, and of course I've done those runs that schools make you do. However i somehow got myself into doing the disney half marathon in january and have no clue how to start preparing for it and am beginning to think signing up for it was a big mistake. any advice and tips from any of you runners, joggers, walkers that have been in my position before is very much appreciated. thank you! :)

Replies

• gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it. I recently paired up with a distance runner who is currently training for an ultra and he's helping me out. He said it's mostly interval training (which I knew) and hills. I already knew these but doing it is the hard part for me. Today he trained and I outran him (sorta) - I just think he was hoping to boost my confidence. We haven't had a session yet, but we're working on a plan together and he's making me keep my other trainer I was assigned to so yeah, fun times. Good luck! I too am thinking about the Disney and a Women's Half near by this October. :/ He said with my time and how often I run (which is usually 5x a week at least 3) he said it shouldn't be a prob! Yikes. Haha you'll have fun! :)
  • JamesGGAnderson
    JamesGGAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you're already running 3 miles 5-6 times per week, then your very well positioned to do a half marathon in January. I would recommend running at least 6 times a week and slowly build 3 of those runs up to 6 and 9 miles. So that a week looks like (3, 6, 3, 6, 3, 9, rest). However don't do that straight away, add no more than 10% per week, I personally like to add 10 minutes per week. For example, this week I did (20, 30, 20, 35, 20, 45) in minutes and next week will be (20, 35, 20, 35, 20, 50). Most of these runs should be relatively easy.

Speed work is really the icing on the cake when it comes to running and unless your doing 30-40 miles per week you don't even have a cake so your time would be better spent trying to increase volume in the most risk free way (i.e. easy running) so you don't get injured. Chances are at the end of a half marathon speed won't be your limiter, endurance will be so speed work isn't really that important.
  • mad14vic
    mad14vic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    intervals as in run/walk combos? thanks for the advice and good luck in October :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There are lots of training schedules around - Higdon, Galloway, SmartCoach. Find a schedule and stick to it.
  • mad14vic
    Options
    so start adding longer runs within the weeks to come? also what foods/ drinks (besides water) are best before and during races? I've see all sorts of crazy diets that are supposed to help with running but dont believe half of them work. any idea if different health foods make a difference? thank you so much for giving me some of your time :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    intervals as in run/walk combos? thanks for the advice and good luck in October :)

Thanks - and yup! He said it's mostly run at a fast speed then super slow, i.e. walking or barely jogging. I did my own interval training today while he ran on the next treadmill nearby and had a super dose of energy on my last mi I ended up running on a decent incline and at a whole min and a half faster pace, COMFORTABLY for a couple mins! Felt like I could go forever. I knew I had to do this, but just needed to hear it in person and in front of me. Glad I did it! Was super proud of myself, lol. Going up and down on the time and incline confused my body and I strangely felt stronger! If you want you can friend me and if you have q's you can ask and I'll ask him. He's a seasoned runner, doing mostly halfs and regular marathons. I think this is his first ultra or first couple (2nd or 3rd) so he knows from experience.
  • momtokx2
    momtokx2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You really only need to do one long run a week. I just did my first half in June and I followed the Finish It Half Marathon Plan by Another Mother Runner. I loved it, very easy to do. Here is the link
    http://anothermotherrunner.com/2012/06/11/corrected-and-free-finish-it-half-marathon-plan/
    Before starting it you need to be able to run 6 miles. The plan is about three months so you have plenty of time to get there.

As for diet just continue to eat health. I have found that I need to drink more water (especially the day before my long runs). Also during my long runs I use GU, which is energy gel (it really makes a difference for me).

If you can I recommend checking out the book Train Like a Mother which is where the plan comes from it has alot of great info. Also they have a Facebook page and everyone on there is super supportive!

Good luck with your training and feel free to friend me if you would like :smile:
  • mad14vic
    Options

Thanks - and yup! He said it's mostly run at a fast speed then super slow, i.e. walking or barely jogging. I did my own interval training today while he ran on the next treadmill nearby and had a super dose of energy on my last mi I ended up running on a decent incline and at a whole min and a half faster pace, COMFORTABLY for a couple mins! Felt like I could go forever. I knew I had to do this, but just needed to hear it in person and in front of me. Glad I did it! Was super proud of myself, lol. Going up and down on the time and incline confused my body and I strangely felt stronger! If you want you can friend me and if you have q's you can ask and I'll ask him. He's a seasoned runner, doing mostly halfs and regular marathons. I think this is his first ultra or first couple (2nd or 3rd) so he knows from experience.
    thank you so much. I will most definitely remember that. :)
  • mad14vic
    Options
    You really only need to do one long run a week. I just did my first half in June and I followed the Finish It Half Marathon Plan by Another Mother Runner. I loved it, very easy to do. Here is the link
    http://anothermotherrunner.com/2012/06/11/corrected-and-free-finish-it-half-marathon-plan/
    Before starting it you need to be able to run 6 miles. The plan is about three months so you have plenty of time to get there.

As for diet just continue to eat health. I have found that I need to drink more water (especially the day before my long runs). Also during my long runs I use GU, which is energy gel (it really makes a difference for me).

If you can I recommend checking out the book Train Like a Mother which is where the plan comes from it has alot of great info. Also they have a Facebook page and everyone on there is super supportive!

Good luck with your training and feel free to friend me if you would like :smile:
    thanks :) i really appreciate the links and suggestions. Question: the day of the race do you take your own water bottles or rely on the water that they hand out during the race? in my 5k i didnt know what to do and was extremely confused and relied on them to give me water (and forgot my inhaler making it harder to breathe) and felt so dehydrated between water breaks.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Find a half marathon training program. halhigdon.com runnersworld.com for example. The one I'm doing now is an intermediate, 12 week program from Higdon. This is my 4th half, but I always follow a plan. It's my base and I just adjust according to my schedule and how good or bad I'm feeling.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 training plan. There are all kinds of good training plans out there!
  • momtokx2
    momtokx2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

thanks :) i really appreciate the links and suggestions. Question: the day of the race do you take your own water bottles or rely on the water that they hand out during the race? in my 5k i didnt know what to do and was extremely confused and relied on them to give me water (and forgot my inhaler making it harder to breathe) and felt so dehydrated between water breaks.

I wore my fuel belt during my half as it held my GU too. Usually during 5k's there are not water stops but you should get water and food at the end.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 training plan. There are all kinds of good training plans out there!

I've used this program for my last two halves! Good luck!
  • warriorsal
    warriorsal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Considering longer races. I'm only running 5ks this year, but loving it!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml

It's a program to take you from a moderate distance running routine to a half marathon in 12 weeks. You're maybe a hair under their recommended "start place", but you're way more than 12 weeks out from your event so you have plenty of time to add a few miles a week before you start the "official" training.

Given your background you have plenty of time to get going for a half by January. I'm registering for the Runner's World Half in PA this fall and in training for that myself. Good Luck!
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Excellent goal! I've run four halfs and my advice to you is slowly and consistently increase your distances so that as you approach the date of the race you've successfully run at least 10-12 miles a cuppla times. Personally, for my first 1/2, I needed the psychological assurance that I could run that distance and so I did run 13 miles as part of my training. But, it's not necessary. My other advice: enjoy yourself! It's quite emotional to cross that finish line after logging all that training--I often cry a lil' bit!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    so start adding longer runs within the weeks to come? also what foods/ drinks (besides water) are best before and during races? I've see all sorts of crazy diets that are supposed to help with running but dont believe half of them work. any idea if different health foods make a difference? thank you so much for giving me some of your time :)

For now, eat healthy and stay hydrated. Your runs are not really long enough to need supplemental nutrition and water is your best friend. You can do all kinds of things to recover, but really if you build up per a plan or as suggested in some of these posts, you will recover fine each day before your next run, and if you are not, then you need a rest day not different nutrition. As you get closer to the race, you will want to experiment with drinking some poweraide during your runs (that's what Disney had on course last year) to be sure your stomach will like you if you drink it during the race.

FWIW, in terms of training, you have a long time. I would slowly start building my weekly mileage over the next 6 - 8 weeks by adding a mile to a few runs a week every couple of weeks. Once your about 12-14 weeks out then find a good plan (many have been recommended already) and follow it up to race day.

Good luck
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful to see this topic posted. I just joined yesterday. I have done two half marathons but it was several years and thirty pounds ago now! I'm picking up my running by adding an extra loop which is about 30 extra minutes to my hour run.
    I'm going to commit to adding amile a week which is do-able. Folks here are correct- there are a ton of plans out there.
    Joining this site will help me with the tracking of exercise and eating.
    I also try and counter-balance the effects of running (tightening of the hamstrings and other bod-parts) by doing hot yoga for 90 minutes. It's a great cross-train to the running.
    It's wonderful this topic is here... what a great motivator to commit once and for all to doing it. I definitely have another half marathon in me! Thanks everyone!!