I had glass in my foot, quick question.

Options
So, I had glass in my foot for weeks, I thought I got it out but I realized I didn't when I was running up my friends stairs and felt like it was poking my foot again

When I got home, I took toe nail clippers and clipped my skin back to get the glass out, my foot hurts but my question here is..

Can I run tomorrow? or should I be on like a recovery mode?

I don't have any neosporin nor band aids and cvs is closed, I cleaned it with peroxide. it hurts a wee bit but not much.

Replies

• rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    if your still finding glass in your foot you should SEE A FRIGGIN DOCTOR, and no dont run
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how it feels, You may need a couple of days to heal. Are you sure that it is all out now? Get it .checked out.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    See a Dr and don't run until they say you can
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    glass in your foot for weeks? no, you should smear some salmonella on it too just to be safe, then run a marathon or two
  • Burrittanee
    Options
    yeah I'm sure. because the first time I thought I got it out I dropped whatever it was on the floor, and was like oh man, everyone said that would hurt so bad, didn't feel a thing. so I think the first time I just clipped some skin off and called it a day.

I know this is lame but I took a flashlight to it and I don't see anything shinny in there anymore. hahah I think I've got it all out.
  • Burrittanee
    Options
    I'll get right on that.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You should see a physician IMO because you don't want to get an infection and it have to be amputated or something horrific.

If you refuse to see a physician I would say that you need to see how it feels tomorrow..
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    O M G!!!! You clipped skin offf, AHHHHH!!! OUch! DOn't run, take the day off and see a doctor! OWWWWW!!!!!
  • jeremycatrett
    jeremycatrett Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm sure running tomorrow would be fine. just make sure you keep it clean.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I would get it looked at. It's actually not good to use peroxide to clean a wound because it damages the healthy cells around the wound increasing your risk of infection (for future reference) and clipping the skin with finger nail clippers I'm sure didn't help matters. At the very least keep a very close eye on it, but unless you're 100% certain you got all of the glass out, I would get it checked out.
  • Burrittanee
    Options
    My friends just made a big deal out of it tonight and I mean, I've never had glass in my foot or heard any horrible stories but I thought it'd be like a splinter, once it's out you're golden.

I just don't really see the big deal.. hahah it was like, about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago...? I mean, the cut wasn't even fully healed yet. so it wasn't entirely too long ago. and it wasn't in deep or anything.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    go get it checked out--you could end up with a serious infection and/or other problems--for real!!!
  • Numitkon
    Numitkon Posts: 12
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at a lot of the responses here! Maybe it's a cultural difference. I'm from the South and I think I'd be laughed out of my house if I went to the doctor for something likes this, haha.

i'm a clumsy person and I've had this happen dozens of times. I spent most of my childhood barefoot. As your skin grows, it will gradually push the glass out on its own if you don't find it first (usually it will hurt you and you will wind up digging it out). I still have my entire foot and have never had an infection from it.

I wouldn't be nervous about it unless we're talking about a gaping wound here.
  • JenSnider1983
    Options
    So, I had glass in my foot for weeks, I thought I got it out but I realized I didn't when I was running up my friends stairs and felt like it was poking my foot again

When I got home, I took toe nail clippers and clipped my skin back to get the glass out, my foot hurts but my question here is..

Can I run tomorrow? or should I be on like a recovery mode?

I don't have any neosporin nor band aids and cvs is closed, I cleaned it with peroxide. it hurts a wee bit but not much.

When we were younger my sister got a cut on her foot from glass and she ended up with a staph infection. I'd go see your doctor PRONTO!!
  • Burrittanee
    Options
    no big cut at all, I honestly just clipped an opening and took a flash light to it, saw a sparkle, grabbed it with my tweezers and pulled that bad boy out. I bled for seriously .5 secs after I wiped it off I stopped bleeding.

I mean, I didn't think I was going to get all these responses being like oh its gonna get infected, go see a doctor. I was like oh it's like having a splinter its out, I'm good. I just wanted to double check so I made a post about it.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay. People are making a big deal out of this. Get bandaids and Neo tomorrow. Heal one day to make sure that the hole is sealed and closed up, then you're fine.
  • Burrittanee
    Options
    Okay. People are making a big deal out of this. Get bandaids and Neo tomorrow. Heal one day to make sure that the hole is sealed and closed up, then you're fine.

thank you. that's what I thought, but my moms out of town, I'm home alone and I didn't want to call her at 2am asking if I should go to the 24 hour urgent care for a piece of glass that i just dug out of my foot, so I posted this to get some motherly advice. ahaha
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I mean, be smart about it. Watch for any increase in pain, redness around the area, if you feel a hardened area around/under the site, or drainage/pus. Obviously. But otherwise, I think you'll be fine.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I stepped on a piece of glass before. It went way up there. The doctors told me it would work itself out on it's own until they x-rayed me. It was way up there. The nurse took it out and it was sore but I moved around as if I were normal and nothing got damaged...not saying the same will happen to you (if there's glass still up there). But I think that allot of the pain might be by the method you removed it, and not that you're foots going to fall off. I'm pretty sure doctors would look at you like you're retarded if you go there because your foot is cut. You could always call a nurses line and ask for self closure though :)
  • Burrittanee
    Options
    I mean, be smart about it. Watch for any increase in pain, redness around the area, if you feel a hardened area around/under the site, or drainage/pus. Obviously. But otherwise, I think you'll be fine.

well, yeah, I'd do that. I mean the skin around it is kinda hard, only because I have rough feet. haha it's super cute. but it's already feeling better, I'm walking on it fine, it looks fine as of now. Thank you