Calling all Curvy Women!!!

Options
Okay so I have always been told that i have naturally big hips and a large frame. But i am barely 5 foot. So Im not exactly sure what my weight loss goal should be. And i am curvy like in a strange way. From my waste to my hips there is a sharp and defined indent, like a straight up hour glass. My mom says it is a good thing but I feel really awkward. And all my weight its in my hips and butt and thighs... I was just wondering when i loose weight will that go away and what would be a healthy weight for me?

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/happyweight/

Here is a calculator I like to use. It helps give me an idea of where I need to be, based on my habits. Your body shape will not necessarily change. That part is genetics. However, by losing weight and toning up, you can get your shape closer to where you want it, if that makes sense. All my weight is in my stomach and hips, and that seems to be the last place it's coming off, but I know it's going slowly but surely.

The best thing you can do is start making healthier choices and start loving your body the way it is now, so that when it's smaller, you'll only appreciate it more!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Aim for 120 and see how you go.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Without pictures, this is totally useless. :happy:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

Here is a calculator I like to use. It helps give me an idea of where I need to be, based on my habits. Your body shape will not necessarily change. That part is genetics. However, by losing weight and toning up, you can get your shape closer to where you want it, if that makes sense. All my weight is in my stomach and hips, and that seems to be the last place it's coming off, but I know it's going slowly but surely.

The best thing you can do is start making healthier choices and start loving your body the way it is now, so that when it's smaller, you'll only appreciate it more!

Well, that calculator just told me I'd be happier 50 lbs lighter. :laugh:
    If I wasn't ok with my appearance I would be really upset by this
  • lilimini
    lilimini Posts: 56
    Options
    Of course you will lose weight in those areas! But, those areas are harder to target! A lot of westerners have more fat in that area from not being so active. I have the same problem. Maybe try going on the cross trainer at the gym and running. I have lost a lot of inches from my hips by running. And, I can hardly recognise my own legs because they are so much skinnier now. Give the cross trainer and running a go. I know it will help you out.
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    Do not focus on weight.

What you can do is train specifically for recomposition. You can def trim down your hips but instead you could do that and increase the size of your shoulders creating a really nice taper . I always tried to fight my true frame until i learned to embrace it and improve it.
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    skinnier? What is your body fat %?
    Running typically metabolizes any tissue thats easy for it to burn (which is not always fat) its easy for your body to use stored glycogen and muscle for energy. In my experience (60 plus clients including tri-athletes) runners still remain soft and squishy
    STRENGTH TRAINING is the real answer.

Of course you will lose weight in those areas! But, those areas are harder to target! A lot of westerners have more fat in that area from not being so active. I have the same problem. Maybe try going on the cross trainer at the gym and running. I have lost a lot of inches from my hips by running. And, I can hardly recognise my own legs because they are so much skinnier now. Give the cross trainer and running a go. I know it will help you out.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    sounds more like a 'spoon shape' then hour glass.. or ??? idk. im an hour glass type shape... and I love it... I Just want a much smaller glass!!:grumble:

workout and do weights/classes that will work and tone your lower half...
    and wt in a # depends... on muscle mass and all... in general for bein a shorty at 5ft.. i'd say btwn (depends on a persons frame too) but... between 110-140???
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP sounds like you are pear/spoon shaped. it's a very common shape for women since it's mainly from estrogen. ever heard of the phrase "child bearing hips"? there ya go. sorry, it has nothing to do with you being a "westerner" since there are plenty of asians and african women with pear shapes

in any case, your body shape is based on your genetics so no matter what you're weight you will always be a bit pear shaped. to get an idea of what fit pear shapes look like, look at people like jlo, shakira and beyonce.

just focus more on losing overall weight by eating at a slight calorie deficit. dont be afraid of lifting heavy weight either. if you are eating below your TDEE then odds are you wont be gaining muscle but by doing the weights you will insure that your body burns fat and doesnt eat up too much of its lean body mass while you're eating at a deficit
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options

It said I was "too young" to figure it out (but I'm 18?). I changed my age and it said my "happy weight" is what I weigh now, and I'm certainly not happy here...
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Also, do you have a short torso for your hieght? That can kind of make hips and butt look bigger because your so compact. I'm not sure if that makes sence though.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    Running typically metabolizes any tissue thats easy for it to burn (which is not always fat) its easy for your body to use stored glycogen and muscle for energy. In my experience (60 plus clients including tri-athletes) runners still remain soft and squishy

I agree that running (almost any cardio) without weights will not make a person firm. Although, different people want different results. So weights would certainly be the way to go if she wants to be firm, but if she wants to remain soft, but smaller, then running would be fine.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's the best figure and only 8% people have it. You should be happy about it. I don't see why are you nervous to have figure like marylin monroe or monica belluci :)
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    Cardio without Strength training: my thoughts on this topic are simple. Runners/ cardio bunnies are not only soft, but objectively fat (skinny fat) now the issue of health arises. Fat secretes estrogen (fact) estrogen promotes heart disease and cancer (medical fact) so I think that brings me back to my main point. It isn't desirable (by most) or healthy To do cardio alone.

I agree that running (almost any cardio) without weights will not make a person firm. Although, different people want different results. So weights would certainly be the way to go if she wants to be firm, but if she wants to remain soft, but smaller, then running would be fine.
  • Kimminer77
    Kimminer77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Brazil Butt lift? I know a few girls that do it. It really works that area plus it includes cardio for fat burning. They even have different schedules for the type of shape you are. Like if you have shelf butt, do these or pear butt, do this...
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options

Nice tool!
  • CassandraM22
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm large busted and my hips and behind are giant. I have no idea what I would look like skinnier I cant ever remember being under 200 (I'm 328 now. so happy over that. I'm slowly losing ) and I'm only 5'4, but I have a deep dent at my back so I assume this is where my waist is supposed to be.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That's the best figure and only 8% people have it. You should be happy about it. I don't see why are you nervous to have figure like marylin monroe or monica belluci :)
    Monica Belluci has a fantastic figure don't know if it's really hour glass? Second thoughts maybe she is - hourglass would be having the same bust and hip size with smaller waist?
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    8%? :noway:
  • rdyne1
    rdyne1 Posts: 53
    Options
    From the sounds of it, you have an 8-shape figure. My friend has the same, it can be a little confusing, in short, you will have a defined waist even after losing weight and your hips will stay in a sort of square shape. I'm in between hourglass and 8-shape, I'm hoping to whittle it down to only hourglass as I prefer the more seamless shape however 8-shapes are equally as flattering. With your short stature, I'd hazard a guess as to around 60kgs at first and then re-assess as you approach your goal. Everyone feels comfortable at different weights. Well, good luck!