Why so much water?

Options
Why are we supposed to drink 8 glasses of water per day, I have searched the FAQ and cannot find the answer, it is killing me, I am constantly peeing.

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Oh my god me too! I have to pee every 5 minutes! There's heaps of reason which I found out today, drinking water actually reduces water retention which helps in losing weight, it flushed cholesterol out of your body, it's great for your skin, It helps you'r muscles grow and become stronger.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Above and beyond all other macro/micro nutrients is Water.

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/water-health.htm
  • Numitkon
    Numitkon Posts: 12
    Options
    The truth is that the magic 8 is a bit of a continuously perpetuated urban myth.

If you exercise a lot, you will need to drink more water because you will be losing more water. As a general rule, however, you should drink as you feel thirsty (while also realizing that thirst is often misinterpreted as hunger, always drink first).

Here's a link to some more information on the subject: http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/05/12053524-let-go-of-the-water-bottle-youre-plenty-hydrated-people?lite
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Water flushes toxins from the body and restores fluid to the muscles. It's amazingly important in getting out everyday toxins we ingest with the awful GM foods that give us now.

You should drink an ounce for every two pounds of body weight you have (I think, I could be wrong haha)

Plus peeing- good. It's a healthy thing. And if you sip the water slowly you'll pee less cause it'll hit the blood stream first VS chugging which will filter through the liver first making you have to peeeee(:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i personally dont think it's a lot of water, i usually drink twice that amount easily. heck i drink 40-50 ounces during my workouts alone.

you get used to it. i think when people arent used to drinking it at first they use the bathroom a lot but eventually your body gets used to it. i definitely do go every 5 minutes. i think tomorrow i'll time myself to see what my average is :laugh:
  • kacinace
    kacinace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ditto some of the previous posters. However, your body should get acclimated to your increase in water consumption so you won't always be peeing every 5 minutes (though you'll likely still go more frequently than you were before)
  • lilimini
    lilimini Posts: 56
    Options
    Recently I read a new article about that... Up until now, we have all been told that it needs to be 8 glasses of water... but, recently, scientists have found out, that this 8 glasses of water can come from any sort of liquid... so, for instance, if you have coffee, juice, soup... all of these would add up to the 8 glasses of liquid your body needs. Hope that helps!
  • terriwpg
    terriwpg Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink so much water, I don't even log it all. I probably drink 12-14 cups a day if not more. Trust me, you don't even think twice about the bathroom after a while but you will LOVE your skin and you won't be as hot in the summer. There are beautiful benefits to being hydrated. If you don't enjoy plain water, throw in some citrus fruits for a splash of flavor and it will liven it up. I don't go to the bathroom that often anymore I have to admit..but when you do the pees are longer if that makes any sense. But, when I first upped my water intake many months ago, it was with more frequency. That DOES go away :)
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was like that too at first, but my bladder has adapted. lol. Chris from Extreme Makeover Weight Loss edition said a few weeks ago if you drink warm water it will make you feel full because it stays in the body longer. And that has worked for me. Drink cold water for hydration and warm water to help you feel full and pee less.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I pee more now at night than i ever have..

My doctor says if you feel thirsty, you are already a quart low on water........

If you are hungry, drink 8 oz first.. (that is really NOT a lot) then eat 10 minutes later...

If you are still thirsty after drinking 8 oz of water, you should have a blood test, because you could be low on potassium or other vital nutrients. ALWAYS check with your doctor if you think something is off in any way.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Why are we supposed to drink 8 glasses of water per day, I have searched the FAQ and cannot find the answer, it is killing me, I am constantly peeing.

That is one of the purposes of water: keeping the toxins flushed out of our system.