Does anybody here tap dance?

Options
Hi all,

Does anybody here tap dance? I've always had a secret thought of learning tap (my favourite movie is Singin' in the Rain which is probably the reason) but I guess I'm uncertain about how fit you need to be and how co-ordinated etc. I've never been a particularly good dancer.

Is it hard to learn? Fun? Will I be disappointed with the real thing after seeing the movies?

Replies

• gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    lol - me. I was trained as a kid before I moved on to ballet. It does require a bit of coordination and definitely precise counting. Does provide a good burn though. Depending on what kind of shoes you get like high heeled character shoes or low jazz shoes, it's bound to be fun :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's great fun, and brilliant for the thighs! But it is quite difficult to do at any degree of proficiency - starting off you wont be able to do much more than shuffle-ball-change, and it would probably be a long time before you could do anything like they do in the movies (they make it look so easy, don't they?)

See what classes are on offer near you and try it! Do you do any other sort of dancing?
  • Aequitas503
    Options
    No, I don't do any other sort of dancing. I am good at counting through (I've played musical instruments since I was very young and lots of playing in orchestras, so I'm good at counting!)

I agree, they make it look *so* easy.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    My Sink's not strong enough.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:drinker:
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My Sink's not strong enough.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:drinker:

This made me smile. THANKS
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    YES! I started only in the last couple of months at the ripe age of 35 and I love it. You don't need to be fit although it will be easier if you have a wee bit of fitness (walk up a couple of flights of stairs).

When I started I was like a new born calf trying to walk for the first time but I kept practising and it gets easier. All of a sudden you will get a step and feel like a natural. I smile the whole time I'm doing it. The pattterns are great for the brain too. Do it!!!
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Yes! I tap! It's hard. A lot harder than it looks, but very fun. I just took a tap class this week from a gentleman who was in the original broadway production of West Side Story and the movie. He was also a chimney sweep in Mary Poppins! He was amazing, He's 74 and can still do pullbacks!
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I dance across a few styles, but I find tap the hardest. It's the combination of precise rhythm and co-ordination that gets me! It's very fun though, and you don't have to be super fit to do it. Strength and speed in the legs helps to execute some of the more fiddly and rapid steps!
    Some dance school offer adult tap classes for beginners, I highly recommend you try it :D
  • alexandrahusk
    alexandrahusk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am actually a tap teacher! Yes it does take a lot of coordination and a lot of PATIENCE. I have taught quite a few adults in my teaching career and while some pick it up rather quickly, others have issues with counting/timing which makes tap quite frustrating to some. Overall, I think I see patience being the biggest issue. People don't realize how hard tapping really is and expect to come into class and be doing graboffs and crazy combinations right off the bat!

I say do it if you want to! Just take notes and pratice at home! You'll like it!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Step ball change.

Thats it. That's all I remember :D
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I tried but fell in the bath