Dealing with the guilt over going over...and beyond.

Options
Ahhh so I do shift work, so I did not get home until 11:30ish. Well an hour went by...then 2 hours - and then it all fell apart after that. I ate tomorrows calories already. 1300.

I rarely go over my calorie goal. Now I feel just terrible about it...and this is the part of "dieting" i hate!! When you go over, but you can't shake the guilt. I don't intent to "starve" myself tomorrow to even out tonights binge, or punish myself by over exercising (though I probably will make more effort to get some exercise in tomorrow).

I try to tell myself "its ok, its a cheat day...which will benefit me in the long run"...but I'm not all that convinced of this.

Any ideas of how to get rid of the guilt...please.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Im sure someone has dealt with this!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, brush off the dust, move on. There is no use crying over spilled milk. These things happen. Be kind to yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself like you would treat a friend.
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    I went way over my calories yesterday and felt bad about it until I looked how many calories I had left for the week. It made me feel a little better knowing I am still within my calories for the week despite being way over one day.

Also, remember that your calorie goal is at a deficit. If you go over your goal you're still eating at a deficit (so if 1300 calories is at a 500 calorie deficit, you have 499 calories to go over before you "break even")

Remember this feeling in the future, it may help ward off the temptation.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You're only human! I hate this 'cheay day' term. You didn't cheat, you just had a wobble! Draw a line under it and carry on as if nothing happened. This time next week it will be way past you and you'll be fine
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Get out and burn burn burn .....
  • roxyhoard
    roxyhoard Posts: 11
    Options
    Just forgive yourself. Take a minute and really evaluate why you did this. Are you eating enough protein to stay satisfied? Are you eating when you are lonely? Mainly just don't beat yourself up, pick up and move on...tomorrow will be a better day.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What's happened has happened, no point beating yourself up about it, everyone does it sometimes! Best advice, go do a big workout, burn lots, eat your normal food and don't stress! :)
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day! Just forget about yesterday and to the best you can do today. If the weather's nice, go out for a walk and you'll feel much better :)
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i had a very similar experience yesterday!! still feeling guilty!!! trying to focus on the reality of it all--it was one day--i usually don't go over--and really in the big picture of it all-its not a big deal!! sending supportive hugs --hope u are having a great day today!!!
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    TIP 1: You need to see the positive - when you binge or eat a lot your leptin levels go up. When your leptin levels are elevated your body responds well (quickly) to reduced calories for at least the next 6 days, this is why this sort of weight spike often seems 'artificial'. So treat it like the start of our next downward run. :-).

TIP 2: I had a bit of a catrophic diet fail myself today due to social situation. But do I feel down about it? No! I just walked straight into the diabetes chat room and hung out there for a while. The caramel slice alone that I had today probably would have killed about 280 members of that forum. Anyone left alive in there would have been wiped out by the apple turnover with cream and the mint chocolate biscuits. The fact that I am still alive to post this advice after everything I ate today makes me feel cheerful and ready to face tomorrow with fresh vigor. ;-P
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Get out and burn burn burn .....

This. Any way you can!
    I ended up eating over last night. Today I've done a 5 mile walk.
    2 weeks ago? I would have thought ah well, damage done, and not done a 5 mile walk to limit the damage. But now I want weight loss. And look how far you've come already?! You've done amazingly!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It happens to the best of us! You have to realize, it was just one day, and tomorrow is a new one. Be intent on sticking with your goals TOMORROW. You can't change what you've done - so DO NOT let it BRING YOU DOWN! Just keep going strong - we are here to support each other through the ups and downs - we will ALL do this - and probably more than once through the journey. It is about getting back on it! Keep positive! You are strong and beautiful! :)