training routines that are biast towards chest/legs

Options
Hi everyone, i am hoping i can create weekly training routine where i can build my chest and legs, i would like shoulders and back aswell but not focused. i.e 75% legs chest, 25% back shoulders.
i am currently bulking but aiming for aesthetics. previously focused on strength. im 6ft 2, current weight 197lbs.
any input would be welcomed.
i love compounds and can workout any day monday to friday, general like 3-4 days in the gym a week.
many thanks in advance!
kevin

Replies

• Zero2hero2013
    Options
    bump
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, i am hoping i can create weekly training routine where i can build my chest and legs, i would like shoulders and back aswell but not focused. i.e 75% legs chest, 25% back shoulders.
    i am currently bulking but aiming for aesthetics. previously focused on strength. im 6ft 2, current weight 197lbs.
    any input would be welcomed.
    i love compounds and can workout any day monday to friday, general like 3-4 days in the gym a week.
    many thanks in advance!
    kevin

I use jefit (ap in the android market) and use it to determine a workout that I like... then I can track and trend my progress :)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Have you had a look at any of the programmes on exrs.net?

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

There are a range of programmes suiting different people's needs in terms of goals and available time e.g. full body, 2 day split, 3 days split, 4 days split etc

Check out these templates here:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    thanks for the input ladies, much appreciated il check them both out. x
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    stick with basic compound lifts: Squat, Bench, Deadlift as primary...Rows and presses secondary...and throw in dips, pushups, situps, and pullups for variety.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'd try to persuade you against trying to target specific parts. That is a recipe for imbalance and injury.

Stick to mainly compound exercises taking in your whole body. Not necessarily each workout is whole body, but as long as over the course of your week you keep balance.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    stick with basic compound lifts: Squat, Bench, Deadlift as primary...Rows and presses secondary...and throw in dips, pushups, situps, and pullups for variety.

Pretty much what I do
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    the problem is i was training balanced for over a year when i found i had a form issue with bench press , as a result my back and shoulders are ahead of my chest dramtically, i fixed the problem and made osme reasonable porgress over 2 months. now im reayd to at it again and woul dlike to spend th enext 3 months balancing my chest to back and shoulder ratios.

my legs are simply at a point where i believe they can grow alot more. and it would also help with my overall appearance.

in 3 months time i would return to a more balanced workout again.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I will first say this, for optimal growth, it's best to focus on all your muscle groups equally. Why? Working all your muscle groups equally is optimal for hormone production (says scientists and the "studies" they've done.)

But, when I was aiming to put weight on, I was a BIG believer in doing two chest workouts a week. I would start each workout with deadlifts. I know, sounds weird, but, that's what I would do.

I would also do a reverse pyramid routine. I'd do something like this, 4/225, 6/205, 8/185, 8/165(or stay at 185 depending how I'm feeling). I would do heavy first to get the most out of more weight. If I started lighter, I might only get up to 205. I would do chest day 1 on the barbells and day 2 with the dumbbells.

Do not train triceps at all. They're getting plenty of work with two heavy chest days.

As for legs... Do as many different free weight squats and lunges as possible. Stay away from the press and extension machines.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    check this out here: http://www.strstd.com/ i love this lifting program because it is based around the four major lifts, overhead press, dead lift, chest press, squat. it has many different programs, including a body weight one.

but just letting you know that chest is sometimes a subject of genetics. some people have more of a pronounced chest than others. also, i find that pronounced triceps help balance out the chest.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    still do it ALL, just do chest and legs more days and more sets. DO ALL the other stuff, but less of it, you don't want to backslide in other areas.
    Maybe just do overhead presses and rows ONE day a week if you are not concerned with back and shoulders right now, but still DO them.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    yeah i completely agree.
    i was hoping to maintain my back or grow a little. id love to get my legs and chest growing as fast as possible.
    also i hear ya on the genetics point of view, had this thought before. luckily when i sorted my bench form and droppped th weight lower it actually started growing instantly. just hoping it doesnt peak for a while lol.

still a little up in the air with what the plan will be. but i do like the idea of

monday: chest and legs, primary chest and secondary legs, i.e 5x5 chest and 2 or 3x15 legs
    tuesday: back
    wednesday: rest
    thursday chest and shoulders, chest light 3x15 but intense maximum effort, and shoulder 3x8 happy medium (couple of exercses, face pulls, ohp, and shoulder shrugs)
    friday: legs. 3x10 focus.

id like to work on increasing the reps alot more generally to get more of an aesethitic look.

currently i can do 80kg squats for 5-8 id like to get that upto 15 reps, then up it to 85 kg and repeat.
    similar styles i hope on all exercises for progression.

i think i should have enough time to rest between everything while still getting the most out of my back day.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    at this stage in the game, when ever muscle is lagging, it doesn't make sense to change your programming to target a weak area.

hit everything hard for 2-3 years, then start addressing weak points.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    cheers deadlifts, solid advice. i should follo wit but i really want some pecs lol. i will be following it aftetr this routine for sure. just want to give a small chance to catch up. 3 months time whatever happens il be doing a balanced (more balanced) routine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You could always do a solid 5x5 program, and then just gear your assistance towards brining up your pecs or your quads are whatever you're really wanting to see.

A lot of people will murder their chests with isolation work and get nowhere, cause the bottom line is, you don't build a big chest with a 200 pound bench.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    what about some thing like this:

monday:
    chest legs:
    cable crossovers, warm up to activate chest. 3x10
    Bench press, 3x8 to 2x15, i want to get to a weight where i can handle 8 reps, which i think is around 70kg, then work it upto 15 reps then add 5kg a repeat.
    incline bench press as above
    pec flys, 2x15

squats, 3x8,
    lunges 3x8

tuesday rest

wed: back and shoulders
    Bor barbell stiff legged as such
    ohp
    bor dumbells hitting different angle to barbell version
    facepulls
    let pulldowns / pull ups,
    deadlifts to shoulder shrugs for first 2 sets, probably 2x10
    the next 2 sets of pure deadlifts, 2x6-8 reps heavier

Friday:
    squats, 5x5
    leg press, 3x15
    leg extensions, 3x15
    leg curls. 3x15
    calf raises 3x15
    dumbell chest press, 3x10
    dips 3x10 if possible.
    incline dumbell press 3x10
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Not exactly what you asked for, but I like this workout. Good sensible split. Then, going against the recovery grain - maybe if you feel your chest is ready or you do not feel like your chest is no longer feeling that good pain, then do CHEST again on shoulder and triceps day. Still working shoulders and triceps, just not in isolation.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

Just don't become

MON - Chest Biceps ABS
    WED - Chest Biceps ABS
    THur - Chest Biceps ABS
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just hit the heavy compounds with a balanced full body routine 3 days per week, until you put on some muscle and gain strength. Your chest and legs will catch up in no time.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    MORE squats. Can never go wrong with mote squats. Plus you said you wanted to build your legs!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Not exactly what you asked for, but I like this workout. Good sensible split. Then, going against the recovery grain - maybe if you feel your chest is ready or you do not feel like your chest is no longer feeling that good pain, then do CHEST again on shoulder and triceps day. Still working shoulders and triceps, just not in isolation.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

Just don't become

MON - Chest Biceps ABS
    WED - Chest Biceps ABS
    THur - Chest Biceps ABS

this is 75% of the guys at my gym.