Second-hand smoke, I can't run.

Options
My parents have been smoking since they were teenagers, and I've been around it literally all my life. I never really ran because of it and neither did my siblings, but I really wanted to try C25K so I tried the first day today and felt like my chest was on fire! I have never had a pain that bad in my chest, and my legs and body were fine- I was barely even fatigued. I was wondering does this mean I should stop in case I actually do damage myself? Can I even get serious damage from it at my age? Or should I keep trying and it will eventually get easier?

Replies

• Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would stick with it as you have never run before your body is not used to it , I had this same thing when I started to ride and after a while you get more used to it and it will become easier then you can push yourself that bit harder. With the C25k there is a guide to how you should run any way and it builds you up over time so I would stick with it for 3 weeks and see if there is any improvement.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Could it be something to do with the fact that you've never really ran in your life that was the reason your chest was hurting, not the second hand smoke?
    I'm not sure to be honest, i'm sure someone else can give you good advice, as a smoker myself I only ever get a bit breathless when running sometimes, but never chest pain.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    That's really sad. :(

I'd keep at it, though, and just be very careful and increase your distance and speed very gradually. I'd listen to my body and not the C25K program. That said, it couldn't hurt to ask a doctor... that's probably your safest bet.
  • ededar
    ededar Posts: 36
    Options
    I have had to do some running in school but it was never this bad, and even then I had to stop a lot (much to my teacher's annoyance) and I was so ashamed I started skipping PE. I can walk for miles, just no running. I thought if it was because of not being used to it my body would be aching but I was fine- it's just my chest.
  • scrittenden
    scrittenden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of people who actually smoke themselves who still run.. so i cant see it being a second hand smoke issue.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Run ..... to your doctor and ask him.

Its expected that you will ache - you are just starting out doing something that is fairly energetic. Your lungs, heart and muscles will scream at you asking what the hell you think you are doing ...... this is normal.

HOWEVER, chest pain that is not normal is something you should ask your doctor about ... as you should before doing any major change to your exercise routine.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have had to do some running in school but it was never this bad, and even then I had to stop a lot (much to my teacher's annoyance) and I was so ashamed I started skipping PE. I can walk for miles, just no running. I thought if it was because of not being used to it my body would be aching but I was fine- it's just my chest.

Not sure of your situation but I would highly suggest if you are trying to get healthy to find a way to stay away from your parents 2nd hand smoke. It is just as damaging to your lungs as first hand. A healthy lifestyle does not include cigarrettes and never will. I just started running in Feb of this year and I am 42! I just did my 6th 5k and have to mud runs coming up. I say stick with it, you can increase your lung capacity. Take it slow, you will get better day by day. If you stop now you will not be doing your lungs any favors. Again......do what ever you have to do to stay as far away from the smoke as you can, if they love you they will not subject you to 2nd hand smoke anyway!
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that exposure to second hand smoke will be as dramatic as you fear. Trust me, I think anyone who has rarely ran in their life has some sort of reaction the first time they do C25K.

I run 5k three times a week, and I was a first hand smoker.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging not too long ago, my lungs always feel like they are on fire, but I get past a point and I start to feel better. I have mild asthma.

If you are having chest pains then see your dr or a cardiologist.

Good luck to you!
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    General advice is always to consult a doctor before starting a new fitness programme. I can relate to your problem although my family did not smoke. After years of "chest infections", antibiotics and being rushed into hospital with "croup", I was finally diagnosed by an astute doctor with asthma at the age of 48!

If you suffer with chest pain always get it checked out and then you can be advised on a regime safely.

Best of luck!:smile:
  • sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    Keep going and it will get easier.

I was a smoker, I chained smoked for 16 years, I thought I would die with a cigarette in my mouth, but I gave up in Feb this year as I had a really bad flu/virus and decided to give up while I couldn't physically smoke.

I started running in May 2012, never run my whole life, and I felt like my heart was about to pop out after 10 steps... On 25 July 2012 (few days ago), I managed to jog (at a very slow pace) 4.3 miles non-stop.

If I can do it, so can you! Good luck and keep doing it.
  • Numitkon
    Numitkon Posts: 12
    Options
    My mom, dad, and sister all smoked (and my mom chain-smoked "little cigars") but surprisingly I can still run/jog just fine after training myself.

I think that what you are experiencing is a difficulty adapting to a new form of exercise. Just jogging totally kicked me in the butt when I first started it, and the feeling was very similar to what you are describing. It hurt! Everything else was fine but it felt like a fire almost in my chest.

If you're worried about it, check it out with the doctor first! It's always better to be safe than sorry in the end.
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a household of smokers and i smoked for abt 13 years. i no longer smoke and im 32 next month, I have been running for the last 5 yyears. At first it felt awful i couldnt do it for very long because i couldnt breath. Now i can run 6+ miles no problem, most times i want to keep going but just dont have the time :laugh: You will build up your endurance it just takes a little time keep at it.
  • chubbachub
    chubbachub Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you've never ran you probably will feel fatigued, burn, exhausted, wanna die etc. The second hand smoke may be a factor, may be you have asthma. I would stick with it - but perhaps lower the intensity as you're starting out running! Its tempting to go at it full force and kill yourself. I have smoked in my life and now quit. Running was really hard at first but it does get easier. If you are worried about your lungs though or breathing, perhaps go and get some lung function tests from your doctor.